BluRay Music Video Poll RPWL - A NEW DAWN [Blu-Ray]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the Blu-Ray of RPWL - A NEW DAWN

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Poor Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

• Total voters

rtbluray

Hi-Res Moderator
Staff member
QQ Supporter
Please post your thoughts and comments on this 2017 Blu-Ray release from RPWL entitled "A New Dawn".

(n) :) (y)

81gPzCLKeML._SL1163_.jpg

71mFVWvXLjL._SL1200_.jpg

Does anyone have this disc and can confirm that it plays in Region A BD players. According to both AmazonUK and blu ray.com it states Region B only.

According to back cover [posted by rt blurary] it states A, B & C.

I started this today... it has a big green circle on the case that says "FSK 12"... not sure what that means in "region" terms, but it played fine on my OPPO BDP-103. A few comments on this one: Very clear picture. The fidelity is excellent for a live performance (very good in general). The mix is similar to Roger Waters' "Amused to Death": wide soundstage for the music, discrete sound effects, audience, and some keyboard effects in the rears. I won't vote because I'm just not sure if I like the big production with all the actors and some sort of story/political message (I DO, however, really enjoy their music, and will continue to listen to their surround discs... just not sure when/if I'll finish this one... can't see myself ripping this for foobar playback). Maybe I just wasn't in the mood...

I started this today... it has a big green circle on the case that says "FSK 12"... not sure what that means in "region" terms, but it played fine on my OPPO BDP-103. A few comments on this one: Very clear picture. The fidelity is excellent for a live performance (very good in general). The mix is similar to Roger Waters' "Amused to Death": wide soundstage for the music, discrete sound effects, audience, and some keyboard effects in the rears. I won't vote because I'm just not sure if I like the big production with all the actors and some sort of story/political message (I DO, however, really enjoy their music, and will continue to listen to their surround discs... just not sure when/if I'll finish this one... can't see myself ripping this for foobar playback). Maybe I just wasn't in the mood...

I haven’t seen anything other than the promo clip so I can’t speak to the whole production - but I can’t help thinking that it looks like that scene from Spinal Tap with the vertically challenged actors dancing around the miniature Stonehenge.
629502ad7ee75f2822aeb867eba8f56a.jpeg

I haven’t seen anything other than the promo clip so I can’t speak to the whole production - but I can’t help thinking that it looks like that scene from Spinal Tap with the vertically challenged actors dancing around the miniature Stonehenge.
629502ad7ee75f2822aeb867eba8f56a.jpeg

Maybe we can fix it with the choreography... ;)

FSK is Freiwillige Selbstkontrolle der Filmwirtschaft. Voluntary selfregulation of the film industry. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freiwillige_Selbstkontrolle_der_Filmwirtschaft

We're all entitled to our opinions around here! That said, I think it might be more fair to compare RPWL's stage performance on this night to musical theater or even an Iron Maiden show (which, judging from your avatar and past conversations you like well enough). It kinda reminds me of the last time I saw Jesus Christ Superstar. So, if that isn't your thing, fair enough. The theatrical stuff in this film isn't every minute. Sometimes you get to just watch the musicians play.
Yes, there is a strong message to this concert. It happens to be one I personally agree with very strongly and I realize it may be very offensive to others (the world is better off without religious dogma). Again, comparing to Iron Maiden, who have gotten political from time to time as well. The whole "Afraid to Shoot Strangers" war is bullshit type of stuff. So again, this film might not be for everybody and there is no accounting for taste or mood. I just wanted to express one positive opinion. This is somewhere between a 9 and 10 for me. Very well done for what it is. Nice bonus making of documentary too.

This is a stunning disc with very high production values. It captures a performance rather than a gig based around their last studio album telling a story of sorts with a thoughtful message which as our fellow QQer edisonbaggins says may not be for everyone. However, the music is first class and is very likely to appeal to those who enjoy Pink Floyd (unsurprising really as RPWL started life as a PF tribute band but have moved entirely away with their own compositions and personality), also Genesis, and Porcupine Tree/Steven Wilson. Suitably heavy in parts but always tuneful. I believe a number of us on QQ have their very good earlier albums Stock and World Through My Eyes in 5.1 so none of this will be a surprise to them.

The songs include all from Wanted and a few others including The Fisherman from their utterly captivating 2012 album Beyond Man and Time, which by the way I can very highly recommend even though it was only released in stereo on CD. It is an album that you start listening to and keep going right to the end, and wish it was longer. I recommended it to a guitarist friend who rang me two days later to say thanks as he couldn't believe he had not come across them before.

On the sound front the options are LPCM, Dolby True HD 5.1 (48k) and Dolby Atmos 7.1, in German or English. I cannot play in Atmos but can say I have no complaints about the quality or mix of the True HD track. All instruments are very clear and well recorded. For me the rears are used really well to represent a live performance with sensible steering of instruments, vocals and effects. You can select German or English versions although all songs are in English. The English overdubbing of the live German narration between songs is about as good as it could be. You hardly realise that the words being spoken are not those you hear.

All in all it makes a refreshing change to just recording one of the gigs on a tour (not that there is anything wrong with that). The one thing that occurred to me is that you do get drawn in rather than it being a gig where you might do something else at the same time and share your visual attention between TV and tablet whilst enjoying the music. And finally, there is a bonus song Unchain the Earth which looks like it was the encore on the night. This is the 'earworm' from their Beyond Man and Time album - great song!

So, in conclusion this is one of the finest music Blu Rays I have.

Last edited:
They put so much work in the sound that the picture quality suffers, but still very good for the surround sound and the music!

This is a stunning disc with very high production values. It captures a performance rather than a gig based around their last studio album telling a story of sorts with a thoughtful message which as our fellow QQer edisonbaggins says may be for everyone. However, the music is first class and is very likely to appeal to those who enjoy Pink Floyd (unsurprising really as RPWL started life as a PF tribute band but have moved entirely away with their own compositions and personality), also Genesis, and Porcupine Tree/Steven Wilson. Suitably heavy in parts but always tuneful. I believe a number of us on QQ have their very good earlier albums Stock and World Through My Eyes in 5.1 so none of this will be a surprise to them.

The songs include all from Wanted and a few others including The Fisherman from their utterly captivating 2012 album Beyond Man and Time, which by the way I can very highly recommend even though it was only released in stereo on CD. It is an album that you start listening to and keep going right to the end, and wish it was longer. I recommended it to a guitarist friend who rang me two days later to say thanks as he couldn't believe he had not come across them before.

On the sound front the options are LPCM, Dolby True HD 5.1 (48k) and Dolby Atmos 7.1, in German or English. I cannot play in Atmos but can say I have no complaints about the quality or mix of the True HD track. All instruments are very clear and well recorded. For me the rears are used really well to represent a live performance with sensible steering of instruments, vocals and effects. You can select German or English versions although all songs are in English. The English overdubbing of the live German narration between songs is about as good as it could be. You hardly realise that the words being spoken are not those you hear.

All in all it makes a refreshing change to just recording one of the gigs on a tour (not that there is anything wrong with that). The one thing that occurred to me is that you do get drawn in rather than it being a gig where you might do something else at the same time and share your visual attention between TV and tablet whilst enjoying the music. And finally, there is a bonus song Unchain the Earth which looks like it was the encore on the night. This is the 'earworm' from their Beyond Man and Time album - great song!

So, in conclusion this is one of the finest music Blu Rays I have.

I am NOT familiar with RPWL's Beyond Man and Time but in researching the CD, I discovered that RPWL released a DVD in Dolby Digital 5.0 called A Show Beyond Man and Time https://www.amazon.com/RPWL-Show-be...266&sr=8-1&keywords=RPWL:+beyond+man+and+time.

I will certainly buy the CD based on your recommendation as I'm a fan [LOVE WANTED].

Amazon lists the DVD as accompanied with a CD but further research at other websites ONLY lists the DVD [w/o the CD]. There is a double CD with 5 cuts from the concert video, as well: http://www.importcds.com/show-beyond-man-and-time/5907785038004

Addenda: I have the DVD [only] on order with ImportCD: http://www.importcds.com/a-show-beyond-man-and-time/5907785037991 as well as the BD~V of A New Dawn: http://www.importcds.com/a-new-dawn/884860184298

I am NOT familiar with RPWL's Beyond Man and Time but in researching the CD, I discovered that RPWL released a DVD in Dolby Digital 5.0 called A Show Beyond Man and Time https://www.amazon.com/RPWL-Show-be...266&sr=8-1&keywords=RPWL:+beyond+man+and+time.

I will certainly buy the CD based on your recommendation as I'm a fan [LOVE WANTED].

Amazon lists the DVD as accompanied with a CD but further research at other websites ONLY lists the DVD [w/o the CD]. There is a double CD with 5 cuts from the concert video, as well: http://www.importcds.com/show-beyond-man-and-time/5907785038004

Addenda: I have the DVD [only] on order with ImportCD: http://www.importcds.com/a-show-beyond-man-and-time/5907785037991 as well as the BD~V of A New Dawn: http://www.importcds.com/a-new-dawn/884860184298

Good choice on the DVD as it is probably an even better experience being effectively an expanded version of the studio album with a very very good live performance as it introduces a visual element to what is basically a concept album. You will see what I mean. I hope you will enjoy it as much as I did. The only difference is that I had listened to the CD first. I have to say that, for me, there are no weak songs and some really good intros (according to an article on the BBC website this a disappearing art apparently as the iPod generation will only tolerate a few seconds before the vocals or skip to the next track!). The sound quality is good for Dolby Digital; if only it was available on Blu Ray. There is also an interesting interview with Yogi Lang and Kalle Wallner on the DVD as well (and in English).

There should probably be a poll on the Music DVD section for this Show Beyond.....

Do post your thoughts on both discs when you have a chance. BTW, I have ordered directly from their website shop as the prices are really good compared to Amazon UK for example https://www.gentleartofmusic.com/product-category/artists/rpwl-eng-en/?lang=en

I started this today... it has a big green circle on the case that says "FSK 12"... not sure what that means in "region" terms,....

Nothing. It's just our "Freiwillige Selbstkontrolle" telling the world this disc not being suitable for earthlings below the age of twelve...

-Kristian

Just wondering if you have received The Show Beyond Man and Time DVD and your thoughts if you have gone 'beyond time' to experience yet?

Just wondering if you have received The Show Beyond Man and Time DVD and your thoughts if you have gone 'beyond time' to experience yet?

Thanks for reminding me. It's in my cart and currently available at Deep Discount. Will post my thoughts.

I'm going to land on a 10 for this one. Maybe a slightly weak 10. A 9.51.

I trust the above poster that the video may not be top-notch, though it looks fine on my TV and projection screen.

I thoroughly enjoy this show. The mix is clear, powerful and plenty discrete for a show (Dolby TrueHD 5.1 English).

I can't wait to try the Atmos track when I upgrade my receiver next year!

Nice bonus content. You get your money's worth on this one.

Very Interesting Disc. I like RPWL and when I saw a disc of a live performance with an Atmos soundtrack, I jumped.
I wasn't paying too close attention to the visuals, but they look fine for a concert / theatrical production video on my front projection screen and 4K Projector.
I bought this disc mostly for the audio mix in Atmos, and the soundtrack is very well produced, with good use of the surrounds, as for the object based sound placements, they are rather few or done very discretely, so this is not one to demo the wow of an Atmos system. But a very good soundfield that suits the music just fine.
My system is a 5.4.4 based on MartinLogan Electrostats (Monolith IIIx, Sequell II, Custom ESL Center SL3XC and JBL SCS8 elevation speakers, 2 MBM and 2 Subs) pre-amp is Marantz 8802A in a dedicated, acoustically treated room.

I have just watched again the whole concert/performance till the end.

This time, I have taken notice of the Atmos mix. It is discrete good enough. There are overhead sounds during actors’ scenes, and while concert music, you can here enough discrete content above, keybords and guitar riffs panning above.

It has the “political” conceptual script for the whole performance, that I have not yet learned (difficult to understand the whole for a non native English).

But that is not important for me. The overall sound and band music performance is great. IMO it is a must have for any Pink Floyd fan. Some tracks are very Pink Folydian and the girls trio reminds me sometimes cleary to Clare Torry on "The Great Gig in the Sky".

I could tell about some minor enhancements for me, perhaps, in some level mixes. I find the drums are sometimes too low level mixed, for my taste, when the music is high volume.

But as this is a title that I can enjoy fully till the end, I have to give this a 10.

Last edited:
Just got this and loved it. Since this is QQ sound first (5.1) I'll circle back for the Atmos. Beautifully recorded and mixed. Live shows can be sketchy and this was more of a revolutionary rock opera, so lots of challenges. They nailed them. All aspects of the sound were clear and placed well. A nice amount of mobility of effects but not a distracting amount. Keyboards and occasional other bits in the rears along with some crowd and effects. Enough to keep them engaged in the overall feel. Mostly it just rocked hard and well.

As did the music. I am kinda new to these guys and I like their style. They do have some heavy stuff but a lot does tend to get into a later Floyd-like style. Maybe Momentary Lapse-ish. The three female backup singers adds to that.

The show feels somewhat like Operation Mindcrime from Queensryche but not nearly that heavy. I could have done without the intertunal play pieces but that was their game and they were pretty cool overall anyhow. I would have liked a German voice w/ English subtitles audio track choice as my Deutsch isn't good enough to follow it all, but it seems more authentic in that language. Although the songs are all English and the English audio track is really good. No harm no foul.

All in all it's just a super cool, brilliantly executed show that delivers for the ears, which is why we're here. Well, why I am.

Back