PC Gamers: De Blob's in-game Music is great in Surround!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Bright Side

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
QQ Supporter
Hey guys!

I've been playing the old Wii game "De Blob" from 2008, which got a very belated PC release earlier this year. It's a fun, light-hearted (but challenging) platformer where you control an amorphous blob that can suck up colour and use it to paint a world that has been drained of colour by a fascist regime. It's a kids' game with some quite adult undertones.

The music in is just fantastic. It's very funky, think KC and the Sunshine Band, Kool & The Gang, Earth Wind & Fire. It adapts to your in-game actions, with more instruments coming in as you paint the scenery and master challenges.

The best thing is, the surround mixing is off the charts. There's percussion, horns, and all kinds of instruments and effects coming at you from every speaker as you play. I'm playing it in 7.1 and it's ridiculous!

Definitely worth checking out if you're into video games. This is hands-down the best game music surround experience I know.

They also released De Blob 2 for PC in July, but in that game, they have a bug that mutes the music in the surround speakers, so you only get it in stereo. It doesn't look like they'll fix that, so the music experience is not as awesome as in De Blob 1. It's still a great game in its own right, though, and the rest of the sound works well in Surround.

Here's some of the music and gameplay:

[video=youtube;rTfzDKNe6uI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTfzDKNe6uI[/video]

I've never played the game but I do have the soundtrack, it is some very funky business by an Australian band - The Bamboos. Kind of makes me wish that I owned a PC just so I could hear the surround mix!

Back