Eagles Hotel California

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Press Release from Eagles.com:

EAGLES TO RELEASE HOTEL CALIFORNIA 40TH ANNIVERSARY DELUXE EDITION ON NOVEMBER 24

Landmark Album Is Remastered And Expanded For The First Time
2-CD/1-Blu-ray Audio Collection Featuring Previously Unreleased Live Recordings
The Eagles’ Hotel California was a critical and commercial phenomenon when it was released in December 1976. The album topped the Billboard charts for eight weeks in the U.S., won two GRAMMY® Awards, sold more than 32 million copies around the world, and featured two Billboard #1 hit singles. 40 years later, it still ranks as one of the best-selling albums of all time.

This fall, the milestone album will add to its legendary lore with HOTEL CALIFORNIA: 40TH ANNIVERSARY DELUXE EDITION, a new 2-CD/1-Blu-ray Audio that includes newly remastered sound, ten previously unreleased live recordings, as well as hi-res stereo and 5.1 mixes. Presented in an 11 x 11 hardbound book, the set also features rare and unseen photos from the era, a replica tour book, and an 11 x 22 poster. The collection will be available on November 24. Both a 2-CD Expanded Edition and 1-CD will also be available, along with digital download and streaming versions. Pre-order now on iTunes and Amazon HERE.

Exclusive bundles are also available for pre-order in the official Eagles Online Store, including the album, T-Shirt and keychain.

HOTEL CALIFORNIA: 40TH ANNIVERSARY DELUXE EDITION opens with a newly remastered version of the original album, featuring two Billboard #1 singles — “New Kid In Town” and the title track — plus the smash hit “Life In the Fast Lane.” The album was nominated for five GRAMMY® Awards, and won for “Record of the Year” and “Best Arrangement For Voices.”

The set also marks the debut of ten live tracks that were recorded during the band’s three-night stand at the Los Angeles Forum in October 1976. The concert recordings — which were recorded about a month before the album came out — feature one of the first ever live performances of “Hotel California” and “New Kid In Town” along with other Eagles classics including “Already Gone,” “Take It To the Limit,” and “Witchy Woman.”

The Blu-ray Audio disc that accompanies HOTEL CALIFORNIA: 40TH ANNIVERSARY DELUXE EDITION features the 5.1 Surround Sound mix originally released on DVD-A in 2001 along with a hi-resolution, 192 KHz/24-Bit stereo mix.

40th Anniversary Deluxe Edition Box Set (2CD/1BRD):
-CD 1- Hotel California remastered
-CD 2- Live at The Forum Oct 19 - 22, 1976
-Blu Ray Hotel California 5.1 & Hi Res Mixes (audio only)
-Solander Style Box
-44-page Case Bound Book
-24-page 11” x 11” Reprint of the Tour Book
-3 x 11” x 22” (folded in half) posters (Norman Seef, Pete Frame Family Tree and Tour Poster)
-11” x 11” 4/0 backer card
-Marketing sticker

Track Listing:

Disc 1 Hotel California remastered
1. Hotel California
2. New Kid In Town
3. Life in the Fast Lane
4. Wasted Time
5. Wasted Time (Reprise)
6. Victim of Love
7. Pretty Maids All in a Row
8. Try and Love Again
9. The Last Resort

Disc 2 Live at The Los Angeles Forum - 10/20-22/76
1. Take it Easy
2. Take It to the Limit
3. New Kid in Town
4. James Dean
5. Good Day in Hell
6. Witchy Woman
7. Funk 49
8. One of These Nights
9. Hotel California
10. Already Gone

Blu-Ray (Audio)
DTS-HD Master 5.1 Surround Sond (96 KHz/24-Bit) PCM Stereo (192 KHz/24-Bit)
1. Hotel California
2. New Kid in Town
3. Life in the Fast Lane
4. Wasted Time
5. Wasted Time (Reprise)
6. Victim of Love
8. Try and Love Again
9. The Last Resort

Press Release from Eagles.com:

EAGLES TO RELEASE HOTEL CALIFORNIA 40TH ANNIVERSARY DELUXE EDITION ON NOVEMBER 24

Landmark Album Is Remastered And Expanded For The First Time
2-CD/1-Blu-ray Audio Collection Featuring Previously Unreleased Live Recordings
The Eagles’ Hotel California was a critical and commercial phenomenon when it was released in December 1976. The album topped the Billboard charts for eight weeks in the U.S., won two GRAMMY® Awards, sold more than 32 million copies around the world, and featured two Billboard #1 hit singles. 40 years later, it still ranks as one of the best-selling albums of all time.

This fall, the milestone album will add to its legendary lore with HOTEL CALIFORNIA: 40TH ANNIVERSARY DELUXE EDITION, a new 2-CD/1-Blu-ray Audio that includes newly remastered sound, ten previously unreleased live recordings, as well as hi-res stereo and 5.1 mixes. Presented in an 11 x 11 hardbound book, the set also features rare and unseen photos from the era, a replica tour book, and an 11 x 22 poster. The collection will be available on November 24. Both a 2-CD Expanded Edition and 1-CD will also be available, along with digital download and streaming versions. Pre-order now on iTunes and Amazon HERE.

Exclusive bundles are also available for pre-order in the official Eagles Online Store, including the album, T-Shirt and keychain.

HOTEL CALIFORNIA: 40TH ANNIVERSARY DELUXE EDITION opens with a newly remastered version of the original album, featuring two Billboard #1 singles — “New Kid In Town” and the title track — plus the smash hit “Life In the Fast Lane.” The album was nominated for five GRAMMY® Awards, and won for “Record of the Year” and “Best Arrangement For Voices.”

The set also marks the debut of ten live tracks that were recorded during the band’s three-night stand at the Los Angeles Forum in October 1976. The concert recordings — which were recorded about a month before the album came out — feature one of the first ever live performances of “Hotel California” and “New Kid In Town” along with other Eagles classics including “Already Gone,” “Take It To the Limit,” and “Witchy Woman.”

The Blu-ray Audio disc that accompanies HOTEL CALIFORNIA: 40TH ANNIVERSARY DELUXE EDITION features the 5.1 Surround Sound mix originally released on DVD-A in 2001 along with a hi-resolution, 192 KHz/24-Bit stereo mix.

40th Anniversary Deluxe Edition Box Set (2CD/1BRD):
-CD 1- Hotel California remastered
-CD 2- Live at The Forum Oct 19 - 22, 1976
-Blu Ray Hotel California 5.1 & Hi Res Mixes (audio only)
-Solander Style Box
-44-page Case Bound Book
-24-page 11” x 11” Reprint of the Tour Book
-3 x 11” x 22” (folded in half) posters (Norman Seef, Pete Frame Family Tree and Tour Poster)
-11” x 11” 4/0 backer card
-Marketing sticker

Track Listing:

Disc 1 Hotel California remastered
1. Hotel California
2. New Kid In Town
3. Life in the Fast Lane
4. Wasted Time
5. Wasted Time (Reprise)
6. Victim of Love
8. Try and Love Again
9. The Last Resort

Disc 2 Live at The Los Angeles Forum - 10/20-22/76
1. Take it Easy
2. Take It to the Limit
3. New Kid in Town
4. James Dean
5. Good Day in Hell
6. Witchy Woman
7. Funk 49
8. One of These Nights
9. Hotel California
10. Already Gone

Blu-Ray (Audio)
DTS-HD Master 5.1 Surround Sond (96 KHz/24-Bit) PCM Stereo (192 KHz/24-Bit)
1. Hotel California
2. New Kid in Town
3. Life in the Fast Lane
4. Wasted Time
5. Wasted Time (Reprise)
6. Victim of Love
8. Try and Love Again
9. The Last Resort

There is confirmation that the 5.1 version is the same...the "remastered" part is for the 1st CD..and the "expanded" part is for CD#2....even though a lot of us already have Hotel California...this will give others a chance to get the surround mix so I hope that others that aren't interested will refrain from telling the world why they aren't getting this set...let's encourage new buyers to get this surround title...instead of countless posts listing reasons why they aren't buying this one:)....November is shaping up as an interesting month for releases...plenty there for everyone to be positive about and discuss...

There is confirmation that the 5.1 version is the same...the "remastered" part is for the 1st CD..and the "expanded" part is for CD#2....even though a lot of us already have Hotel California...this will give others a chance to get the surround mix so I hope that others that aren't interested will refrain from telling the world why they aren't getting this set...let's encourage new buyers to get this surround title...instead of countless posts listing reasons why they aren't buying this one:)....November is shaping up as an interesting month for releases...plenty there for everyone to be positive about and discuss...

Please, it's a free forum so friendly suggestions about not speaking your mind is well, lame. I agree that it is great that newcomers now can get this great release but I don't care for the trend of high priced box sets! Many folks can't afford this trend! I think that the trend will hurt sales in the long run.

9 Cats- " 91$ here in Sweden, no way, not even close for me to consider." I'm pretty sure that the Japanese SACD version has the same 5.1 mix as the old DVD-A if you just want the surround, it is usually available on the e of Bay for much less than the $91. John Svensson

Please, it's a free forum so friendly suggestions about not speaking your mind is well, lame. I agree that it is great that newcomers now can get this great release but I don't care for the trend of high priced box sets! Many folks can't afford this trend! I think that the trend will hurt sales in the long run.

I have to be honest and let you know that this "lame" suggestion wasn't really my idea...JonUrban mentioned it...and I think it was a good idea...let's be honest...it's usually the same reasons for every release...too expensive...same mix that was previously released....not "true" hi rez...people don't want the extras(vinyl..marbles...books..etc) just a standalone disc...yada...yada..yada...so if you think your comments add value to the thread...a unique perspective perhaps...then just consider Jon's suggestion something that just doesn't pertain to you...

As I was fortunate enough to pick up the original DVDA I don't have a lot of interest in this set, particularly at this kind of price. (It makes the recent Doors and Dave Gilmour sets look incredibly good value.) I haven't been very impressed with remastering of the other Eagles CDs so I will wait and see what the final DR values and price turn out to be.

I could be wrong, but I bet our good friend Steve Woolard (ForagingRhino) had something to do with this set, and if that's the case, I say, "Thanks Steve for not only including the 5.1 mix as part of this set but for including it on Blu-Ray. Well done!"

:)

I have to be honest and let you know that this "lame" suggestion wasn't really my idea...JonUrban mentioned it...and I think it was a good idea...let's be honest...it's usually the same reasons for every release...too expensive...same mix that was previously released....not "true" hi rez...people don't want the extras(vinyl..marbles...books..etc) just a standalone disc...yada...yada..yada...so if you think your comments add value to the thread...a unique perspective perhaps...then just consider Jon's suggestion something that just doesn't pertain to you...

Maybe we could start a "Naysayer" thread for anyone that wants to vent about why they don't like and wont be buying various releases.;)

9 Cats- " 91$ here in Sweden, no way, not even close for me to consider." I'm pretty sure that the Japanese SACD version has the same 5.1 mix as the old DVD-A if you just want the surround, it is usually available on the e of Bay for much less than the $91. John Svensson

Thanks, looks like it's the same 5.1 mix anyway so either that or hopefully the prices will drop eventually.

Maybe we could start a "Naysayer" thread for anyone that wants to vent about why they don't like and wont be buying various releases.;)

I understand what you are saying...BUT...I was really being serious when I said that I'm not the one driving this idea...but having said that...I support the idea...let's be honest...I listed the reasons that are given 99% of the time...we all know what they are...and I would guess that Jon...like myself...got tired of seeing a new release listed and then within an hour numerous complaining posts with the same old reasons...I mean....you don't really even get to enjoy the newly announced release...and what's worse is that people that are truly excited about the release have to "defend" their purchase to all the naysayers on the thread...it's just happened lately on the Whitesnake thread...

Look...in the past...I have been as guilty as everyone else in pointing out the negative aspects of various releases...but the reality is that it's 2017...the disc format is on life support...and the surround segment is so tiny that's it barely relevant in the music business...so anything we get is a "gift"...even if it's recycled material from the past...and the last few years we have been blessed with some vintage titles that NOBODY saw coming...just amazing...but along with that good fortune comes UNREALISTIC expectations...demands even...which is sad...but true

Your idea of a thread dedicated to all new releases is a fine idea..IMO...that would keep the actual release threads intact for just information about the release...

Maybe they'll follow this with a 40th anniversary set of The Long Run that includes quad/5.1 (if either exist)

2019 isn't too far away...

What ever the source, we are here to speak our minds about all things surround. Unless some one is over the top ugly in a post then that would be different. That said we are all grown ups and can handle come what may. We don't need a separate post for negative comments, that's just an anathema to free speech and free thought.

For the record...Desperado was released in 1973...and the Eagles self titled album was released in 1972...so those would be candidates for anniversary editions in 2018 and 2017...

Hotel California was actually released in 1976 so WB is playing a little fast and loose with calling it a 40th anniversary reissue!

I'm actually amazed that it has taken them this long to start doing Eagles deluxe sets. You'd think they would have been a top priority.

Maybe they'll follow this with a 40th anniversary set of The Long Run that includes quad/5.1 (if either exist)

2019 isn't too far away...

There might be an unreleased 5.1 mix for “The Long Run” sitting in the vaults, and if there is, I totally support the release of a similar anniversary set in 2019 for that album.
There definitely would not be a Quadraphonic mix for that record because Quadraphonic had definitely died out by the time that “The Long Run” was released.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hotel California was actually released in 1976 so WB is playing a little fast and loose with calling it a 40th anniversary reissue!

I'm actually amazed that it has taken them this long to start doing Eagles deluxe sets. You'd think they would have been a top priority.
Well it was released December 8th, 1976 but the single of HC came out in February of 77 so I think most people think it was a 77 release.

For my hard earned monies this is a sure purchase, not really a fan of the trinkets or large sized Deluxe Editions. (Even those 7" Beck releases don't fit in my cabinet)
This time I don't know if I want to save money and buy just the Bullmoose set, or get ALL the trinkets (T-shirt, key chain) on the Eagles.com site. Being that Glenn Frey is a hometown product (Royal Oak, Michigan) and part of the biggest American band ever is enough for me.
Yes I've got the DvdA and the SACD, those I'll just sell and continue on with my goal of all surround in my collection to be just the Blu-Ray format. It will be nice to have witchy women and funk49 on disc for the car also.

Edit: An iconic song and Album, one of the best Albums (37th of 500)with one of the best guitar solos ever (8th of 100).
Edit: A total of 165.00 from Eagles.com with "Tracked Shipping" the big option (T-shirt, keychain approx. 45.00)

Last edited:
91$ here in Sweden, no way, not even close for me to consider.

No doubt this is a nice box set but at that price I'll keep listening to my 5.1 SACD.

Hopefully we'll get a single BDA release at some stage then I'd be tempted if the mastering/dynamics was improved over the SACD.

No doubt this is a nice box set but at that price I'll keep listening to my 5.1 SACD.

Hopefully we'll get a single BDA release at some stage then I'd be tempted if the mastering/dynamics was improved over the SACD.

I honestly doubt we will get a single release of the Blu-Ray.
The Blu-Ray is the only exclusive disc to the box set. (There is a 2-disc edition with the remastered album and live album that will also be available.)
Thankfully, the DVDA-V and SACD editions are still out there for those who don’t want the full box.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back