Achievements:
    OverdriveSocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Eagles Hotel California

Quote Originally Posted by 4-earredwonder View Post
    The Doors BD~A Best of is 4.0.

And the two RBCD/BD~A Quad Best of Door's set was $24.99 list [I paid about $18 delivered]

So why is Hotel California [which has an existing MLP 96/24 DVD~A/Japanese 5.1 SACD] $99?
    It's not... It's $78 at Bull Mooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooose.

2. Thanks rtbluray, Clint Eastwood thanked for this post
    Likes rtbluray, Clint Eastwood liked this post
    1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
    Level
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveSocial50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rtbluray View Post
    You never know. Steve Woolard (ForagingRhino) said they were hoping to put out a Doobie Brothers Quadio set in 2018.
    If they do release such a set next year and it sells well enough to warrant a second pressing like the Chicago set did, then maybe they will be encouraged to put together a similar set for the Eagles (that is assuming they have enough Eagles Quad mixes to warrant a box set)

Regardless, this “Hotel California” set is a great sign because it shows a continued interest from both the label (Warner/Rhino) and artist (Eagles) for surround sound, and for a band as big as the Eagles, that is a very good thing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I just wonder how profitable it was for the Chicago set...I was not aware of the second pressing...the correction disc problem was an added cost...you are spot on about the importance of a high profile band like the Eagles including a surround disc in their box set...I'd like to think that others in the music industry are taking note of the use of these quad recordings...they represent an untapped resource

4. Thanks rtbluray thanked for this post
    Likes rtbluray liked this post
    1K Club - QQ Shooting Star 4-earredwonder's Avatar
    Level
    Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 215
    Overall activity: 65.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive10000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by marpow View Post
    Awesome packaging, that's why.
    Yawn....sorry, Mark.

Perhaps if they included a 96/24 remaster of Hell Freezes Over [only available now as a pricey DTS RBCD*] it would make the pot sweeter.

If I want to read a book.....I'll go to the library

*https://www.amazon.com/Hell-Freezes-...The+Eagles+DTS

6. Likes Snood, dr. simple liked this post
    Level
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 4-earredwonder View Post
    Yawn....sorry, Mark.

Perhaps if they included a 96/24 remaster of Hell Freezes Over [only available now as a pricey DTS RBCD] it would make the pot sweeter.

If I want to read a book.....I'll go to the library
    Is your library card up to date?...I seriously doubt it

8. Likes GOS, marpow, Snood liked this post
    700 Club - QQ All Star
    Level
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 86
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rtbluray View Post
    Regardless, this “Hotel California” set is a great sign because it shows a continued interest from both the label (Warner/Rhino) and artist (Eagles) for surround sound, and for a band as big as the Eagles, that is a very good thing!
    When I first read this I thought .... Well, I don't know if I'd call it "continued interest in surround" by either the artist or the label. The surround looks like a tiny part of this release. And to be honest, I'm skeptical about the idea that if the 5.1 didn't already exist, that would they have cared enough to undertake a scratch re-mix like was done for the Sgt. Pepper release.

But then I thought, rtbluray is right. It shows the interest simply by including it. With all the rest of the content that is included, they could have issued it without the 5.1, stereo only, and it still would likely be a huge success. So there must be some interest on their part in surround.

(Memo to self: Stop being so cynical. Play more music.)

300 Club - QQ All Star salsdali's Avatar
    Level
    Level completed: 4%, Points required for next Level: 144
    Overall activity: 35.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LuvMyQuad View Post
    When I first read this I thought .... Well, I don't know if I'd call it "continued interest in surround" by either the artist or the label. The surround looks like a tiny part of this release. And to be honest, I'm skeptical about the idea that if the 5.1 didn't already exist, that would they have cared enough to undertake a scratch re-mix like was done for the Sgt. Pepper release.

But then I thought, rtbluray is right. It shows the interest simply by including it. With all the rest of the content that is included, they could have issued it without the 5.1, stereo only, and it still would likely be a huge success. So there must be some interest on their part in surround.

(Memo to self: Stop being so cynical. Play more music.)
    your first instinct was correct

if they really cared about surround they would have payed for a new mix like they did for the CD

just seems to me like a lot of these labels are releasing big box sets that include a Blu-ray version of DVD-A's that already exist so nothing new is really being released (because it costs the labels money) and they would rather, once again, just get payed for stuff they have already produced.

All these different sets have "remastered" CD's but I don't care about CD's, I care about surround and there really have been very few new surround mixes released.

11. Thanks rtbluray thanked for this post
    Level
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by salsdali View Post
    your first instinct was correct

if they really cared about surround they would have payed for a new mix like they did for the CD

just seems to me like a lot of these labels are releasing big box sets that include a Blu-ray version of DVD-A's that already exist so nothing new is really being released (because it costs the labels money) and they would rather, once again, just get payed for stuff they have already produced.

All these different sets have "remastered" CD's but I don't care about CD's, I care about surround and there really have been very few new surround mixes released.
    Amen to that. Screw the RBCDs and there's nothing wrong with the original DVD~A mix of Hotel California. It still sounds spectacular to this day [along with the Japanese 5.1 SACD: I have BOTH]

13. Likes HDave, quadanasaziland liked this post
    Level
    Overall activity: 36.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranOverdriveCreated Album picturesCreated Blog entry
    Post Thanks / Like

WELL........

First off, it's nice to know that if WB intended to release a deluxe anniversary edition of Hotel California, that they decided to include te 5.1 mix, and on a HiRez BluRay Audio to boot! They could have easily created this box without the 5.1 mix, or tossed it in on a DVD-V at 24/48.

But as we all know, this is the same mix that came out in December 2001 on DVD-A, and was subsequently reissued in Japan on SACD, so most of us surround folks already have the mix and have probably played it to death and rarely spin it these days, so it's not something that a lot of us will get excited about.

HOWEVER....
    If they did not include a 5.1 mix of the album, we'd be the first ones complaining that "This was a perfect opportunity for them to throw in the 5.1 mix since it already exists and won't cost them a lot". You know it, we'd do it!

So, look at this as a great opportunity to perpetuate the surround mix, to get it out to new fans, and most importantly, Eagles fans who might have a BluRay player who never heard the HiRez and surround mix and might really get into it and be amazed.

The more the merrier.

So, stop complaining. If you don't want this, fine. If you do, fine. There is no need to get into arguments about who's getting it and who's not getting it.

And if this release somehow begets official surround releases, deluxe or otherwise, of "Eagles", "Desperado", "On the Border", "One of These Nights", and "The Long Run", then that's a big "WOO-HOO".

Anyone who's listened the the audio of the Eagles Documentary just knows that in Elliot Scheiner's Acura there's probably a 5.1 DVD-A of "The Long Run".

I am pretty sure it's there, but "I Can't Tell You Why".
    :-jon

Level
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JonUrban View Post
    WELL........

First off, it's nice to know that if WB intended to release a deluxe anniversary edition of Hotel California, that they decided to include te 5.1 mix, and on a HiRez BluRay Audio to boot! They could have easily created this box without the 5.1 mix, or tossed it in on a DVD-V at 24/48.

But as we all know, this is the same mix that came out in December 2001 on DVD-A, and was subsequently reissued in Japan on SACD, so most of us surround folks already have the mix and have probably played it to death and rarely spin it these days, so it's not something that a lot of us will get excited about.

HOWEVER....
    If they did not include a 5.1 mix of the album, we'd be the first ones complaining that "This was a perfect opportunity for them to throw in the 5.1 mix since it already exists and won't cost them a lot". You know it, we'd do it!

So, look at this as a great opportunity to perpetuate the surround mix, to get it out to new fans, and most importantly, Eagles fans who might have a BluRay player who never heard the HiRez and surround mix and might really get into it and be amazed.

The more the merrier.

So, stop complaining. If you don't want this, fine. If you do, fine. There is no need to get into arguments about who's getting it and who's not getting it.

And if this release somehow begets official surround releases, deluxe or otherwise, of "Eagles", "Desperado", "On the Border", "One of These Nights", and "The Long Run", then that's a big "WOO-HOO".

Anyone who's listened the the audio of the Eagles Documentary just knows that in Elliot Scheiner's Acura there's probably a 5.1 DVD-A of "The Long Run".

Jon, you're probably correct but I'm still pissed that in doing the Fleetwood Mac boxsets RHINO REALLY should've included the 5.1 remixes on LOSSLESS BD~A to say the least....as these were never afforded a previous MLP DVD~A 5.1 [nor SACD] release.

It's just the freakin' schizophrenia that I find it hard to abide by.

Why are some releases given the BD~A LOSSLESS treatment while other just as important 'acts' aren't?
    Last edited by 4-earredwonder; 10-12-2017 at 05:06 AM.

16. Likes salsdali, JediJoker liked this post
    Level
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with most of what you said except this and that's my main issue. These releases never seem to beget other new surround releases. Sometimes they just beget another surround release of another album that's already out there on dvd-a or sacd.

The ironic part is even if the label had payed for a new mix of Hotel CA I really wouldn't have been that much happier because IMO the Scheiner mix is damn near perfect.

Now, if the labels would pay for new mixes of other albums that have a poor surround releases already out there then that's what I really want. I'd rather have the labels correct their previous mistakes than reinvent the wheel by remixing or releasing any album that is in the top 30 of the surround poll.

18. Thanks rtbluray thanked for this post
    Likes rtbluray, HDave, rd1 liked this post
    Level
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveSocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Post Thanks / Like

WELL........

HOWEVER....

The more the merrier.

Jon - you...da...man....

Very well said. So here is where I sort of come to a crossroad....

Yeah, I do have the money. I can buy this. I already have the DVD-Audio. Great stuff. I'm not necessarily into buying box sets unless I don't have the title in surround. So.....does my $75 purchase help the cause? I have no clue. I sort of want this.....I sort of don't.

I guess, I'll just have to make up my own mind and not worry what others think. Yeah, that's the ticket.

20. Thanks rtbluray, Steve Schoultz thanked for this post
    Likes rtbluray, Snood, Steve Schoultz, timbre4 liked this post
    Level
    Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 110
    Overall activity: 36.0%
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

Bullmoosed it watch for the dvd-a and the SACD - WPCR-14165 in swap forum......
    Smoke em if you got em.....DVD-AUDIO-47; SACD-34; Blu-Ray-46; Blu-Ray-3D-80, & counting

22. Thanks rtbluray thanked for this post
    Likes rtbluray, Snood liked this post
    Level
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GOS View Post
    Jon - you...da...man....

Very well said. So here is where I sort of come to a crossroad....

Yeah, I do have the money. I can buy this. I already have the DVD-Audio. Great stuff. I'm not necessarily into buying box sets unless I don't have the title in surround. So.....does my $75 purchase help the cause? I have no clue. I sort of want this.....I sort of don't.

I guess, I'll just have to make up my own mind and not worry what others think. Yeah, that's the ticket.
    Gene, seriously, the ONLY question you should be asking yourself: Is it worth $25 each for 2 RBCDs and a blu ray audio disc which may or may NOT sound better than your MLP DVD~A 5.1?

Me....I'd rather 'invest' in music or movies I don't have. But that's me and I have NO intentions of buying this boxset unless it eventually shows up at Deep Discount for $28!

24. Likes salsdali, JediJoker, quadanasaziland liked this post
    Level
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

WELL........

HOWEVER....

The more the merrier.

You just performed a Jedi Mind Trick on me....I saw your mention of ES and Acura and I thought..." hey wait, there is an Eagles song on the Acura demo disc"...I was thinking this could be proof of a hidden Eagles album in surround that was never released...so I put the ELS demo disc in...and the Eagles song is One of These Nights...but alas...it was sourced from the live Melbourne DVD concert...geeze...the blu ray hadn't been produced yet...ES did a great job taking that 24/48 from the DVD...

26. Thanks rtbluray thanked for this post
    Likes rtbluray, GOS, salsdali, Snood liked this post
    Level
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Clint Eastwood View Post
    You just performed a Jedi Mind Trick on me....I saw your mention of ES and Acura and I thought..." hey wait, there is an Eagles song on the Acura demo disc"...I was thinking this could be proof of a hidden Eagles album in surround that was never released...so I put the ELS demo disc in...and the Eagles song is One of These Nights...but alas...it was sourced from the live Melbourne DVD concert...geeze...the blu ray hadn't been produced yet...ES did a great job taking that 24/48 from the DVD...
    there's also "Rocky Mountain Way" in 96kHZ on another acura disc from the same concert

28. Thanks rtbluray, Clint Eastwood thanked for this post
    Level
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by salsdali View Post
    there's also "Rocky Mountain Way" in 96kHZ on another acura disc from the same concert

I bought this demo disc because it had Monday Morning(Fleetwood mac)on it...but there are a lot of good songs on it...listening to Green Door right now(steely dan)...

30. Thanks rtbluray thanked for this post
    Level
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 96
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm glad this mix is coming back into print, and I'm interested in this set. Unfortunately, I'm hoping for the price point to improve. The Doors singles/Best of set was perfect for me, as have all of the Steven Wilson remix sets.

If it drops down to the Doors range, I will definitely buy.

Now - here's what I'd like to know: what really drives the COST point of a release like this?

Notice I didn't say PRICE point. I'm talking about the cost to the label.

I presume publishing rights/cost for a monster hit album costs more than one with fewer sales. Hotel California would cost more than Music from the Elder. Could the publishing cost alone have forced this set up this high? I don't know, but maybe one of you out there does.
    Last edited by drphibes; 10-12-2017 at 04:42 AM.

32. Likes Snood, rtbluray, 360 SOUND liked this post
    Level
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album picturesCreated Blog entry25000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Forum Musician
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Eagles Hotel California

I'm just grateful to see major label activity on releases with high resolution surround. Sure we own this one in some form, but think about the other fans with Blu Ray players. They missed DVDA by 5, 10, 15 years. They may have no idea the import SACD exists or even have a player to handle them. It isn't always about us! I fully expected a number of surround releases to be ported over to Blu Ray before now. I'm relieved to see some of this happening. Carry on without chagrin, the price will likely improve soon.

Timbre4
    Moderator, Musician, Foole
    Daddeo 2016 Selected Songs link:

http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp...=122027&t=3401

Level
    Overall activity: 90.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Blog entryCreated Album picturesTagger First Class
    Awards:
    Master Tagger
    Post Thanks / Like

What puts this release in perspective is the fact that the "Rumours" box set from a few years ago did not include the 5.1 mix on Blu-Ray, and all subsequent Fleetwood Mac 5.1 releases have been DVD-V, which is not high-res.
    Warner Music also missed out on the opportunity to reissue the 5.1 mix and/or the Quadraphonic mix of "Machine Head" by Deep Purple on Blu-Ray when they released a 2CD reissue of the album last year. (They decided to include the Quad mix as SQ stereo on CD instead, and they did the same thing for "Stormbringer" too...)

These were low-hanging fruit opportunities for Warner Music to put some good surround mixes back out there on the format of the moment (Blu-Ray) but they chose not to.
    Now they have for "Hotel California", and I'm glad that's the case.

Surround yourself with the best.

Coming soon in 2017: "Eye in the Sky" (The Alan Parsons Project), "Black Sea" (XTC) and "A Farewell to Kings" (RUSH)!
    Already released: "Songs from the Wood" (Jethro Tull); "Misplaced Childhood" (Marillion); "Three Piece Suite" (Gentle Giant) and "Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band"

500 Club - QQ All Star seilerbird's Avatar
    Level
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 79
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered5000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Clint Eastwood View Post
    Is your library card up to date?...I seriously doubt it
    My library card is up to date. I currently have 9 books and 3 DVDs checked out. I will be headed to the library this morning because my request for a Laurel and Hardy DVD has arrived. It is a compilation DVD called The Slapstick Masters. Reading is almost as important as listening to music to me.

36. Thanks François thanked for this post
    Likes halbroome, GOS, Snood, 360 SOUND liked this post
    700 Club - QQ All Star
    Level
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 34
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranSocial10000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

I may be wrong on this but I thought I read here years ago that there were problems with some of the dvd audio discs on this title from one of the manufacturers. May have been a stereo problem, or cracking disc, can't remember. Anyway it might be a good idea to check their dvd audio disc before making a final decision. It's been a long time since I played my copy so a thorough test is in order this weekend.

38. Likes Snood, 360 SOUND, rtbluray liked this post
    Level
    Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 267
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Philip Spinner View Post
    I may be wrong on this but I thought I read here years ago that there were problems with some of the dvd audio discs on this title from one of the manufacturers. May have been a stereo problem, or cracking disc, can't remember. Anyway it might be a good idea to check their dvd audio disc before making a final decision. It's been a long time since I played my copy so a thorough test is in order this weekend.
    I own a DVD-A that won't play in stereo. 5.1 is fine.

40. Thanks JediJoker, rtbluray, Philip Spinner thanked for this post
    1K Club - QQ Shooting Star rusinurbe's Avatar
    Level
    Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 467
    Overall activity: 26.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience PointsSocial
    Post Thanks / Like

High on price low on content at half the price that's marginal given the content and lack of additional vault material
    Salutations Fletch

42. Thanks rtbluray thanked for this post
    300 Club - QQ All Star
    Level
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 398
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

Still being advertised at £80 on Amazon UK but Spin CDs' price is £50 so I guess Amazon's price is one of their over-the-top estimates to make sure they don't under-price it.

44. Thanks rtbluray, JediJoker thanked for this post
    Level
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 98
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by timbre4 View Post
    I'm just grateful to see major label activity on releases with high resolution surround. Sure we own this one in some form, but think about the other fans with Blu Ray players. They missed DVDA by 5, 10, 15 years. They may have no idea the import SACD exists or even have a player to handle them. It isn't always about us! I fully expected a number of surround releases to be ported over to Blu Ray before now. I'm relieved to see some of this happening. Carry on without chagrin, the price will likely improve soon.

Good point. This release does open the door for the more casual multi-channel listener who may only have a Blu Ray player.

46. Likes GOS, rtbluray, timbre4, zimmy liked this post
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123