Eagles Hotel California

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WELL........

First off, it's nice to know that if WB intended to release a deluxe anniversary edition of Hotel California, that they decided to include te 5.1 mix, and on a HiRez BluRay Audio to boot! They could have easily created this box without the 5.1 mix, or tossed it in on a DVD-V at 24/48.

But as we all know, this is the same mix that came out in December 2001 on DVD-A, and was subsequently reissued in Japan on SACD, so most of us surround folks already have the mix and have probably played it to death and rarely spin it these days, so it's not something that a lot of us will get excited about.

HOWEVER....
If they did not include a 5.1 mix of the album, we'd be the first ones complaining that "This was a perfect opportunity for them to throw in the 5.1 mix since it already exists and won't cost them a lot". You know it, we'd do it! :)

So, look at this as a great opportunity to perpetuate the surround mix, to get it out to new fans, and most importantly, Eagles fans who might have a BluRay player who never heard the HiRez and surround mix and might really get into it and be amazed.

The more the merrier.

So, stop complaining. If you don't want this, fine. If you do, fine. There is no need to get into arguments about who's getting it and who's not getting it.

And if this release somehow begets official surround releases, deluxe or otherwise, of "Eagles", "Desperado", "On the Border", "One of These Nights", and "The Long Run", then that's a big "WOO-HOO".

Anyone who's listened the the audio of the Eagles Documentary just knows that in Elliot Scheiner's Acura there's probably a 5.1 DVD-A of "The Long Run".

I am pretty sure it's there, but "I Can't Tell You Why".
Jon - you...da...man....

Very well said. So here is where I sort of come to a crossroad....

Yeah, I do have the money. I can buy this. I already have the DVD-Audio. Great stuff. I'm not necessarily into buying box sets unless I don't have the title in surround. So.....does my $75 purchase help the cause? I have no clue. I sort of want this.....I sort of don't.

I guess, I'll just have to make up my own mind and not worry what others think. Yeah, that's the ticket. :)

Bullmoosed it watch for the dvd-a and the SACD - WPCR-14165 in swap forum......

Jon - you...da...man....

Very well said. So here is where I sort of come to a crossroad....

Yeah, I do have the money. I can buy this. I already have the DVD-Audio. Great stuff. I'm not necessarily into buying box sets unless I don't have the title in surround. So.....does my $75 purchase help the cause? I have no clue. I sort of want this.....I sort of don't.

I guess, I'll just have to make up my own mind and not worry what others think. Yeah, that's the ticket. :)

Gene, seriously, the ONLY question you should be asking yourself: Is it worth $25 each for 2 RBCDs and a blu ray audio disc which may or may NOT sound better than your MLP DVD~A 5.1?

Me....I'd rather 'invest' in music or movies I don't have. But that's me and I have NO intentions of buying this boxset unless it eventually shows up at Deep Discount for $28!

WELL........

First off, it's nice to know that if WB intended to release a deluxe anniversary edition of Hotel California, that they decided to include te 5.1 mix, and on a HiRez BluRay Audio to boot! They could have easily created this box without the 5.1 mix, or tossed it in on a DVD-V at 24/48.

But as we all know, this is the same mix that came out in December 2001 on DVD-A, and was subsequently reissued in Japan on SACD, so most of us surround folks already have the mix and have probably played it to death and rarely spin it these days, so it's not something that a lot of us will get excited about.

HOWEVER....
If they did not include a 5.1 mix of the album, we'd be the first ones complaining that "This was a perfect opportunity for them to throw in the 5.1 mix since it already exists and won't cost them a lot". You know it, we'd do it! :)

So, look at this as a great opportunity to perpetuate the surround mix, to get it out to new fans, and most importantly, Eagles fans who might have a BluRay player who never heard the HiRez and surround mix and might really get into it and be amazed.

The more the merrier.

So, stop complaining. If you don't want this, fine. If you do, fine. There is no need to get into arguments about who's getting it and who's not getting it.

And if this release somehow begets official surround releases, deluxe or otherwise, of "Eagles", "Desperado", "On the Border", "One of These Nights", and "The Long Run", then that's a big "WOO-HOO".

Anyone who's listened the the audio of the Eagles Documentary just knows that in Elliot Scheiner's Acura there's probably a 5.1 DVD-A of "The Long Run".

I am pretty sure it's there, but "I Can't Tell You Why".

You just performed a Jedi Mind Trick on me....I saw your mention of ES and Acura and I thought..." hey wait, there is an Eagles song on the Acura demo disc"...I was thinking this could be proof of a hidden Eagles album in surround that was never released...so I put the ELS demo disc in...and the Eagles song is One of These Nights...but alas...it was sourced from the live Melbourne DVD concert...geeze...the blu ray hadn't been produced yet...ES did a great job taking that 24/48 from the DVD...

You just performed a Jedi Mind Trick on me....I saw your mention of ES and Acura and I thought..." hey wait, there is an Eagles song on the Acura demo disc"...I was thinking this could be proof of a hidden Eagles album in surround that was never released...so I put the ELS demo disc in...and the Eagles song is One of These Nights...but alas...it was sourced from the live Melbourne DVD concert...geeze...the blu ray hadn't been produced yet...ES did a great job taking that 24/48 from the DVD...

there's also "Rocky Mountain Way" in 96kHZ on another acura disc from the same concert

Acura%2007%20Back.jpg

I'm glad this mix is coming back into print, and I'm interested in this set. Unfortunately, I'm hoping for the price point to improve. The Doors singles/Best of set was perfect for me, as have all of the Steven Wilson remix sets.

If it drops down to the Doors range, I will definitely buy.

Now - here's what I'd like to know: what really drives the COST point of a release like this?

Notice I didn't say PRICE point. I'm talking about the cost to the label.

I presume publishing rights/cost for a monster hit album costs more than one with fewer sales. Hotel California would cost more than Music from the Elder. Could the publishing cost alone have forced this set up this high? I don't know, but maybe one of you out there does.

Last edited:
I'm just grateful to see major label activity on releases with high resolution surround. Sure we own this one in some form, but think about the other fans with Blu Ray players. They missed DVDA by 5, 10, 15 years. They may have no idea the import SACD exists or even have a player to handle them. It isn't always about us! I fully expected a number of surround releases to be ported over to Blu Ray before now. I'm relieved to see some of this happening. Carry on without chagrin, the price will likely improve soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What puts this release in perspective is the fact that the "Rumours" box set from a few years ago did not include the 5.1 mix on Blu-Ray, and all subsequent Fleetwood Mac 5.1 releases have been DVD-V, which is not high-res.
Warner Music also missed out on the opportunity to reissue the 5.1 mix and/or the Quadraphonic mix of "Machine Head" by Deep Purple on Blu-Ray when they released a 2CD reissue of the album last year. (They decided to include the Quad mix as SQ stereo on CD instead, and they did the same thing for "Stormbringer" too...)

These were low-hanging fruit opportunities for Warner Music to put some good surround mixes back out there on the format of the moment (Blu-Ray) but they chose not to.
Now they have for "Hotel California", and I'm glad that's the case.

:)

Is your library card up to date?...I seriously doubt it:violin
My library card is up to date. I currently have 9 books and 3 DVDs checked out. I will be headed to the library this morning because my request for a Laurel and Hardy DVD has arrived. It is a compilation DVD called The Slapstick Masters. Reading is almost as important as listening to music to me.:banana:

I may be wrong on this but I thought I read here years ago that there were problems with some of the dvd audio discs on this title from one of the manufacturers. May have been a stereo problem, or cracking disc, can't remember. Anyway it might be a good idea to check their dvd audio disc before making a final decision. It's been a long time since I played my copy so a thorough test is in order this weekend.

I may be wrong on this but I thought I read here years ago that there were problems with some of the dvd audio discs on this title from one of the manufacturers. May have been a stereo problem, or cracking disc, can't remember. Anyway it might be a good idea to check their dvd audio disc before making a final decision. It's been a long time since I played my copy so a thorough test is in order this weekend.
I own a DVD-A that won't play in stereo. 5.1 is fine.

Still being advertised at £80 on Amazon UK but Spin CDs' price is £50 so I guess Amazon's price is one of their over-the-top estimates to make sure they don't under-price it.

I'm just grateful to see major label activity on releases with high resolution surround. Sure we own this one in some form, but think about the other fans with Blu Ray players. They missed DVDA by 5, 10, 15 years. They may have no idea the import SACD exists or even have a player to handle them. It isn't always about us! I fully expected a number of surround releases to be ported over to Blu Ray before now. I'm relieved to see some of this happening. Carry on without chagrin, the price will likely improve soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good point. This release does open the door for the more casual multi-channel listener who may only have a Blu Ray player.

Is it possible that this blu-ray audio will sound different, in the same way that The Doors sounded different on blu? (in this case, compared to the older DVD-Audio)

Is it possible that this blu-ray audio will sound different, in the same way that The Doors sounded different on blu? (in this case, compared to the older DVD-Audio)

It could be possible that the Blu-Ray could sound a little different compared to the DVD-A/V or SACD if they went with a different mastering, but it's still gonna be the same mix, so it still would not sound that different at all.
I'm betting it will sound near identical to what we already have.

It could be possible that the Blu-Ray could sound a little different compared to the DVD-A/V or SACD if they went with a different mastering, but it's still gonna be the same mix, so it still would not sound that different at all.
I'm betting it will sound near identical to what we already have.

I’m betting it won’t sound as good if DTS Master Audio is used. Hopefully, there will be the better Dolby HD codec included. Then maybe, it might sound indistinguishable.

I may have to get this one too to find out.

Back