Eagles Hotel California

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well if Quadraphonic mixes actually exist for "Eagles" and "Desperado", then they could still put together an Eagles 'Quadio' box set that has Quadraphonic mixes for "Eagles", "Desperado", "On the Border", and "One of These Nights" all included together.

There might be an unreleased 5.1 mix for “The Long Run” sitting in the vaults, and if there is, I totally support the release of a similar anniversary set in 2019 for that album.

Apparently sex sells. Maybe Rhino needs to move from 'Quadio' box sets to 'Sexio' box sets (4.0 to 5.1) :banana:

6 Eagles albums on 5.1 BDAs. Now that would be nice!

The Eagles is one of those marquis bands that could have sustained a release of quad mixes of their early albums (assuming those exist, and I don't know if they do) and sold a bunch of them either bundled (as in Chicago) or as stand alone issues. I hope this does well, but since I already have a surround of this which is incredible, I would be more excited about any of their other albums in multi-channel. But for those who missed out on the earlier surround releases in DVD-A and SACD, this will be a great experience for you. Here's hoping there will be follow-up releases of their other albums in MCH!!

Put them all on one BDA. Enough space.

Either way (6 Blu-Ray discs with one album each or 1 Blu-Ray disc with 6 albums) the cost factor to the consumer would probably be about the same.
I like the Chicago Quadio model where each album has its own Blu-Ray release within the set complete with original album packaging, so if they did something like that for the Eagles’ first four albums (assuming Quadraphonic mixes exist for “Eagles” and “Desperado”) I would definitely buy that! (And I assume lots of others on here would buy such a release too!) :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Either way (6 Blu-Ray discs with one album each or 1 Blu-Ray disc with 6 albums) the cost factor to the consumer would probably be about the same.
I like the Chicago Quadio model where each album has its own Blu-Ray release within the set complete with original album packaging, so if they did something like that for the Eagles’ first four albums (assuming Quadraphonic mixes exist for “Eagles” and “Desperado”) I would definitely buy that! (And I assume lots of others on here would buy such a release too!) :)

You will never see another surround box set as complete as the Chicago Quadio at that low of a price point...and as good as that set is... and it still hasn't sold out...I can't envision another label even attempting something of that scale...

I think this very encouraging. If you already have the 5.1 SACD or DVDA (as I do), I can understand a lack of excitement, but as was mentioned back in the thread a ways, this might lead to more cool releases in the future if it sells well. And it will. This is a mega album. Even given the deluxe content and pricing, they will sell a shload of these. And the surround community being the small niche that it is, even those not buying because they have a previously released version of the 5.1 wont even make a dent in the sales. There is some great content there, even without the surround. And for those who got into surround too late to get a HR 5.1 version of this album... grab one of these. Its one of the best rock mixes out there.

You will never see another surround box set as complete as the Chicago Quadio at that low of a price point...and as good as that set is... and it still hasn't sold out...I can't envision another label even attempting something of that scale...

You never know. Steve Woolard (ForagingRhino) said they were hoping to put out a Doobie Brothers Quadio set in 2018.
If they do release such a set next year and it sells well enough to warrant a second pressing like the Chicago set did, then maybe they will be encouraged to put together a similar set for the Eagles (that is assuming they have enough Eagles Quad mixes to warrant a box set)

Regardless, this “Hotel California” set is a great sign because it shows a continued interest from both the label (Warner/Rhino) and artist (Eagles) for surround sound, and for a band as big as the Eagles, that is a very good thing! :)

I think this very encouraging. If you already have the 5.1 SACD or DVDA (as I do), I can understand a lack of excitement, but as was mentioned back in the thread a ways, this might lead to more cool releases in the future if it sells well. And it will. This is a mega album. Even given the deluxe content and pricing, they will sell a shload of these. And the surround community being the small niche that it is, even those not buying because they have a previously released version of the 5.1 wont even make a dent in the sales. There is some great content there, even without the surround. And for those who got into surround too late to get a HR 5.1 version of this album... grab one of these. Its one of the best rock mixes out there.

I agree completely. My first reaction was I already have the DVD-A 5.1 so whats the point. I continued to think and yes, an iconic release in Blu Ray 5.1. The Greatest Hits Doors, went from mch 4.0 SACD to BD-A 5.1 and there is a definite improvement in sonic quality with the just released BD-A of The Doors.

I agree completely. My first reaction was I already have the DVD-A 5.1 so whats the point. I continued to think and yes, an iconic release in Blu Ray 5.1. The Greatest Hits Doors, went from mch 4.0 SACD to BD-A 5.1 and there is a definite improvement in sonic quality with the just released BD-A of The Doors.

The Doors BD~A Best of is 4.0.

And the two RBCD/BD~A Quad Best of Door's set was $24.99 list [I paid about $18 delivered]

So why is Hotel California [which has an existing MLP 96/24 DVD~A/Japanese 5.1 SACD] $99?

You never know. Steve Woolard (ForagingRhino) said they were hoping to put out a Doobie Brothers Quadio set in 2018.
If they do release such a set next year and it sells well enough to warrant a second pressing like the Chicago set did, then maybe they will be encouraged to put together a similar set for the Eagles (that is assuming they have enough Eagles Quad mixes to warrant a box set)

Regardless, this “Hotel California” set is a great sign because it shows a continued interest from both the label (Warner/Rhino) and artist (Eagles) for surround sound, and for a band as big as the Eagles, that is a very good thing! :)

I just wonder how profitable it was for the Chicago set...I was not aware of the second pressing...the correction disc problem was an added cost...you are spot on about the importance of a high profile band like the Eagles including a surround disc in their box set...I'd like to think that others in the music industry are taking note of the use of these quad recordings...they represent an untapped resource

When I first read this I thought .... Well, I don't know if I'd call it "continued interest in surround" by either the artist or the label. The surround looks like a tiny part of this release. And to be honest, I'm skeptical about the idea that if the 5.1 didn't already exist, that would they have cared enough to undertake a scratch re-mix like was done for the Sgt. Pepper release.

But then I thought, rtbluray is right. It shows the interest simply by including it. With all the rest of the content that is included, they could have issued it without the 5.1, stereo only, and it still would likely be a huge success. So there must be some interest on their part in surround.

(Memo to self: Stop being so cynical. Play more music.) :smokin

When I first read this I thought .... Well, I don't know if I'd call it "continued interest in surround" by either the artist or the label. The surround looks like a tiny part of this release. And to be honest, I'm skeptical about the idea that if the 5.1 didn't already exist, that would they have cared enough to undertake a scratch re-mix like was done for the Sgt. Pepper release.

But then I thought, rtbluray is right. It shows the interest simply by including it. With all the rest of the content that is included, they could have issued it without the 5.1, stereo only, and it still would likely be a huge success. So there must be some interest on their part in surround.

(Memo to self: Stop being so cynical. Play more music.) :smokin

your first instinct was correct

if they really cared about surround they would have payed for a new mix like they did for the CD

just seems to me like a lot of these labels are releasing big box sets that include a Blu-ray version of DVD-A's that already exist so nothing new is really being released (because it costs the labels money) and they would rather, once again, just get payed for stuff they have already produced.

All these different sets have "remastered" CD's but I don't care about CD's, I care about surround and there really have been very few new surround mixes released.

your first instinct was correct

if they really cared about surround they would have payed for a new mix like they did for the CD

just seems to me like a lot of these labels are releasing big box sets that include a Blu-ray version of DVD-A's that already exist so nothing new is really being released (because it costs the labels money) and they would rather, once again, just get payed for stuff they have already produced.

All these different sets have "remastered" CD's but I don't care about CD's, I care about surround and there really have been very few new surround mixes released.

Amen to that. Screw the RBCDs and there's nothing wrong with the original DVD~A mix of Hotel California. It still sounds spectacular to this day [along with the Japanese 5.1 SACD: I have BOTH]

WELL........

First off, it's nice to know that if WB intended to release a deluxe anniversary edition of Hotel California, that they decided to include te 5.1 mix, and on a HiRez BluRay Audio to boot! They could have easily created this box without the 5.1 mix, or tossed it in on a DVD-V at 24/48.

But as we all know, this is the same mix that came out in December 2001 on DVD-A, and was subsequently reissued in Japan on SACD, so most of us surround folks already have the mix and have probably played it to death and rarely spin it these days, so it's not something that a lot of us will get excited about.

HOWEVER....
If they did not include a 5.1 mix of the album, we'd be the first ones complaining that "This was a perfect opportunity for them to throw in the 5.1 mix since it already exists and won't cost them a lot". You know it, we'd do it! :)

So, look at this as a great opportunity to perpetuate the surround mix, to get it out to new fans, and most importantly, Eagles fans who might have a BluRay player who never heard the HiRez and surround mix and might really get into it and be amazed.

The more the merrier.

So, stop complaining. If you don't want this, fine. If you do, fine. There is no need to get into arguments about who's getting it and who's not getting it.

And if this release somehow begets official surround releases, deluxe or otherwise, of "Eagles", "Desperado", "On the Border", "One of These Nights", and "The Long Run", then that's a big "WOO-HOO".

Anyone who's listened the the audio of the Eagles Documentary just knows that in Elliot Scheiner's Acura there's probably a 5.1 DVD-A of "The Long Run".

I am pretty sure it's there, but "I Can't Tell You Why".

WELL........

First off, it's nice to know that if WB intended to release a deluxe anniversary edition of Hotel California, that they decided to include te 5.1 mix, and on a HiRez BluRay Audio to boot! They could have easily created this box without the 5.1 mix, or tossed it in on a DVD-V at 24/48.

But as we all know, this is the same mix that came out in December 2001 on DVD-A, and was subsequently reissued in Japan on SACD, so most of us surround folks already have the mix and have probably played it to death and rarely spin it these days, so it's not something that a lot of us will get excited about.

HOWEVER....
If they did not include a 5.1 mix of the album, we'd be the first ones complaining that "This was a perfect opportunity for them to throw in the 5.1 mix since it already exists and won't cost them a lot". You know it, we'd do it! :)

So, look at this as a great opportunity to perpetuate the surround mix, to get it out to new fans, and most importantly, Eagles fans who might have a BluRay player who never heard the HiRez and surround mix and might really get into it and be amazed.

The more the merrier.

So, stop complaining. If you don't want this, fine. If you do, fine. There is no need to get into arguments about who's getting it and who's not getting it.

And if this release somehow begets official surround releases, deluxe or otherwise, of "Eagles", "Desperado", "On the Border", "One of These Nights", and "The Long Run", then that's a big "WOO-HOO".

Anyone who's listened the the audio of the Eagles Documentary just knows that in Elliot Scheiner's Acura there's probably a 5.1 DVD-A of "The Long Run".

I am pretty sure it's there, but "I Can't Tell You Why".

Jon, you're probably correct but I'm still pissed that in doing the Fleetwood Mac boxsets RHINO REALLY should've included the 5.1 remixes on LOSSLESS BD~A to say the least....as these were never afforded a previous MLP DVD~A 5.1 [nor SACD] release.

It's just the freakin' schizophrenia that I find it hard to abide by.

Why are some releases given the BD~A LOSSLESS treatment while other just as important 'acts' aren't?:mad:@:

Last edited:

I agree with most of what you said except this and that's my main issue. These releases never seem to beget other new surround releases. Sometimes they just beget another surround release of another album that's already out there on dvd-a or sacd.

The ironic part is even if the label had payed for a new mix of Hotel CA I really wouldn't have been that much happier because IMO the Scheiner mix is damn near perfect.

Now, if the labels would pay for new mixes of other albums that have a poor surround releases already out there then that's what I really want. I'd rather have the labels correct their previous mistakes than reinvent the wheel by remixing or releasing any album that is in the top 30 of the surround poll.

Back