Eagles Hotel California

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would have thought the DVD-A and the BD MC would be the same mix. They prepared a new MC mix for this?

It is the same mix.
Any differences one is hearing could be down to a slightly different mastering on each format and/or how the listener's player and receiver are decoding the audio during playback.

It is the same mix.
Any differences one is hearing could be down to a slightly different mastering on each format and/or how the listener's player and receiver are decoding the audio during playback.

I say thank you for any reproductions in the blu-ray format, I think if someone besides Elliott renewed the surround mix then it would lead to negative posts about why, why not and what for. Jakko didn't get much love for his BSS remix.

I received my set today along with a second copy of Kick, my Eagles Hotel California set has a corner ding that was packaged that way from bullmoose. No way could that have happened in the shipping box, its not damaged ? So I'm disappointed that bullmoose would send me a damaged box set instead of selling it in store......

As a counter-post to marpow's post, I just opened up my "Hotel California" box set, and while I was flipping through my box set, I played the title track off of the SACD followed by the same track on the Blu-Ray, and I struggled to hear any difference between the two at all, and I know this mix very well!

The Blu-Ray is authored in the same manner as The Doors' Singles Blu-Ray and the Chicago Quadio box set (and presumably authored by the same person, Craig Anderson, even though a credit is not listed)
There's a simple 'pure audio' layout where you can switch between the two mixes by using your Blu-Ray player remote's colored buttons (Red for DTS-HD Master 5.1 surround & yellow for PCM stereo)

If Steve Woolard (ForagingRhino) ends up reading this post, first off, let me once again say thanks for including the 5.1 surround mix in this box set and especially on Blu-Ray! It's practically the only reason I bought this set, so there's that.

However, I fail to understand how this set costs $90 when it only contained three optical discs, a few posters, and a book that barely contains any text.
It just seems like this set should cost no more than $70. That's all I have to say about that.

Hope we will get more Eagles albums on Blu-Ray audio in the future, especially remastered versions of the Quadraphonic mixes of "On the Border" and "One Of These Nights"!

:)
RT, I respect your opinion as you know much more than I do. I don’t think your above quote is a complete counter to my post, more of an agreement when you put my two posts, 117 & 118 together. You did comparison of SACD vs BD. I will redo my listen of my DVD-A vs BD. My job as a consumer is not to placate company’s like Rhino in fear that they may not reproduce titles in surround. I believe that they are getting tons of feedback before they even release from artists and executives. I believe that if I give negative feedback it first will help my fellow audio consumers and 2nd the record company’s assuming my feedback has some educated truth.
I hope my response to your post has the understanding that you wanted to convey and that I understood correctly. Tomorrow I will do my Track 1 comparison. For now this box set is too expensive.

I received my box set yesterday and arrived via Amazon US in almost perfect condition. One very slight upper right corner bend and one ding upper left.
Things I Like: Lots Of photos, not a lot of writing.
Things I don’t like: It is really big for the contents. It should have been slimmed down and packaged like Eric Clapton’s Give Me Strength box set.
I am going to need to rethink my purchases. Buying all these new box sets when I already own the DVD Audios seems to be a waste of money.

I respect your opinion, Mark, as you have a wonderful system and I, like you, also LOVE the MLP DVD~A 5.1 format.

I was aghast at the price RHINO was charging for this boxset and even opined that had it included the former DTS 5.1 Eagle's "Hell Freezes Over" in 96/24 resolution on the BD~A [PLENTY of room], it would've been a better deal.

Glad I skipped it. Absolutely NO regrets here.

On The Border, One of these Nights, Hell Freezes Over have never had a proper hi res digital 4.0/5.1 release.........along with Hotel California....would've made a nice mini boxset for probably the same price as this shameless CASH GRAB! :yikes

I say thank you for any reproductions in the blu-ray format, I think if someone besides Elliott renewed the surround mix then it would lead to negative posts about why, why not and what for. Jakko didn't get much love for his BSS remix.

I received my set today along with a second copy of Kick, my Eagles Hotel California set has a corner ding that was packaged that way from bullmoose. No way could that have happened in the shipping box, its not damaged ? So I'm disappointed that bullmoose would send me a damaged box set instead of selling it in store......

Contact them Dave and get a replacement.......I've had the same prob with them, they will reimburse you for shipping. :howl

So, first time purchasing from Amazon.de and wow! Received email today saying it was shipped...and says delivery Thursday! Wow....
Now, it says I have to sign for the package....which is sort of a problem since I'm at work obviously....

Wow - I decided to take the afternoon off and guess who showed up? DHL.....and they required signature. Lucky for me....

So.....I'm the proud owner of Hotel California deluxe box. Perfect condition I might say. As others have said, at least for something of this size, Amazon Germany boxed it within a box, very good job. :)

Wow - I decided to take the afternoon off and guess who showed up? DHL.....and they required signature. Lucky for me....

So.....I'm the proud owner of Hotel California deluxe box. Perfect condition I might say. As others have said, at least for something of this size, Amazon Germany boxed it within a box, very good job. :)

I'm so glad and relieved...we don't need problems with the Germans:upthumb

Damn ordered mine Amazon.de toooooo says not being delivered til DEC 12th - Snood Jealous :mad:@:

It is the same mix.

I got my package today and i am of course very happy with it. I started right away to compare the DVD-audio with this version and i agree that it must be the same mix. I actually think i can hear some details better on Bluray but it might very well be because my player can be better with Bluray compared to DVD audio.
It was not at all like comparing the two Doors versions that has been discussed earlier.
An benefit with the DVDaudio is the filmed interview which is not included in this one.

I really wish they release this separately some day because more people should here this fantastic 5.1 mix.
It´s discs like this that is the reason for shoosing this type of media.

Damn ordered mine Amazon.de toooooo says not being delivered til DEC 12th - Snood Jealous :mad:@:

I spent a few extra dollars and got expedited shipping. That seems to be the difference.....and is likely why the Black Sabbath (The End) box I also ordered from them is floating around in space somewhere. I didn't get expedited on that one.....it shipped, couple weeks ago....yet it's missing in action. Says I'll have it next Tuesday.

I got my package today and i am of course very happy with it. I started right away to compare the DVD-audio with this version and i agree that it must be the same mix. I actually think i can hear some details better on Bluray but it might very well be because my player can be better with Bluray compared to DVD audio.
It was not at all like comparing the two Doors versions that has been discussed earlier.
An benefit with the DVDaudio is the filmed interview which is not included in this one.

I really wish they release this separately some day because more people should here this fantastic 5.1 mix.

It´s discs like this that is the reason for shoosing this type of media.

Actually you can still get the same 5.1 mix as a standalone disc...I purchased mine 4 years ago for $35...they really haven't gone up that much since then...it's a SACD...and you have a choice of buyers HERE

Actually you can still get the same 5.1 mix as a standalone disc...I purchased mine 4 years ago for $35...they really haven't gone up that much since then...it's a SACD...and you have a choice of buyers HERE

Yes this can of course be an good option.
The price is quite good i would say.
But as many people have access to bluray players either for watching movies or as playstations, it would be nice if they also could get discs like this without buying boxes as expensive as this.

Ok, It arrived today. Happy to have this album on Blu-ray, because the DVD was generally out of my reach. I do have it on the Japanese SACD

Good lord this set is a monster. Way too big. Between this and the R.E.M. AftP set, I feel claustrophobic. I don't think I'll ever open that separately shrink-wrapped book.

Snood finally got me Set today all the way from Germany for that real low price they screwed up on for 44.20 dollars shipped.........

Looks like the box had seen better days, but was a box in nice secure box inside and all was perfect. :banana:

Gonna open this weekend - loooks nice......Already had the DVD-A, but dig having the bluray and all. Plus it was cheapish - half what Amazon USA wanted/wants. :mad:@:

This was posted on the Craigman Digital blog today:
Hotel California Emerges Again on 5.1 Blu-ray

2017 concluded with yet another spectacular reissue in the form of Hotel California in 5.1 Blu-ray. While previously released as a DVD-Audio in 2001 (and for sale on eBay for $139 today - WTH?), this new 40th anniversary edition is available as a 2-CD + Blu-ray set, and includes previously unreleased live recordings (CD-side only).

After 40 years, this record - and especially Elliot Scheiner's exceptional surround remix - is worth another listen.

Hotel%2BCalifornia%2BPrep_V5.jpg

I commented below saying that I hope they will continue to be involved in authoring more Blu-Ray Audio discs for Rhino releases.
Their work on this release, "Best of the Doors" and the Chicago Quadio set have all been exceptional!

:)

I haven't purchased this. I have the DVD-A (purchased before it went OOP), so I cant bring myself to double dip on this, but it certainly looks nice. And I am happy for those of you out there who are getting this for the first time. It's an epic album that's mixed well and sounds great. Demo material without a doubt. There are releases that sound cleaner, to be sure, but very few are mixed this well, and even fewer possess the popularity of this one. Even surround noobs are impressed when you play them Hotel California.

Beyond spending the extra money, I'm already running into other problems with physical storage for large sets like this. Then there is the fact that I seldom play the physical disks more than once or twice (because once its ripped.... why?). All in all it really makes reissues like this much less desirable to me. Sad isn't it. Back in the day I probably would have jumped all over this.

On the plus side I am enjoying everyone's comments here and I feel like I'm kinda re-living the joy of getting it for the first time. So please continue :popcorn

I haven't purchased this. I have the DVD-A (purchased before it went OOP), so I cant bring myself to double dip on this, but it certainly looks nice. And I am happy for those of you out there who are getting this for the first time. It's an epic album that's mixed well and sounds great. Demo material without a doubt. There are releases that sound cleaner, to be sure, but very few are mixed this well, and even fewer possess the popularity of this one. Even surround noobs are impressed when you play them Hotel California.

Beyond spending the extra money, I'm already running into other problems with physical storage for large sets like this. Then there is the fact that I seldom play the physical disks more than once or twice (because once its ripped.... why?). All in all it really makes reissues like this much less desirable to me. Sad isn't it. Back in the day I probably would have jumped all over this.

On the plus side I am enjoying everyone's comments here and I feel like I'm kinda re-living the joy of getting it for the first time. So please continue :popcorn

I agree! :) Keep the comments coming :) (especially if you actually have the new Blu ;) )

I have the SACD rip and I love it but would like to buy the Blu, partly to "put my money where my mouth is" to support the figures of 5.1 Blu's sold, and partly just to have it on my boxset shelf ;) , but, not at this price! (as it's still GBP/EUR~90).

If anyone has the 96/24 2.0 download version (I got mine from Qobuz, I presume it's the same version as from HDTracks), I'd be interested to hear from anyone that also has that and has compared them... :)

Cheers,

Matt :)

Back