How do you save your quad music, and how do you play it?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sounds simple...right? Here's my quandry...
Thanks for the forums, I'v finally been able to hear my quad LPs the way they were meant to be. I've run some through the AA scripts, and used HD Audio Solo to burn DVD-A discs. Unfortunately the only player that I have is in my Acura (it sounds great there !!!!). I'd also like to play them
on my home stereo, and from the PC. My question is....

What format do you store them in, and how do I play them back on the PC and home stereo? Would running the TOSlink from my sound card to the Receiver in work? Or do I need additional software or conversion? On the downstairs home stereo, I'm guessing that since the PC isn't close, I could somehow burn them to Blu-Ray since my player doesn't do DVD-A ??

Thanks!!

--Ed

Looong time Quad enthusiast

All audio-only files (2.0, 4.0, 5.1, etc) saved as FLAC files. All audio+video files saved as MKV files.

I use Songbird for audio. Simple and free. I like that you can set your system audio to 5.1 (with a 5.1 speaker array) and mix and match formats in a playlist (2.0 to 4.1 to 4.0 to 5.1, etc) and everything always comes out the correct speakers. Other media players make you switch the system between 4.0 and 5.1, etc. Some media players have bugs that, for example, mix the front L+R together and put that in the center channel when playing 4.0 quad. None of that with Songbird.

Itunes still disables FLAC playback to attempt to push/force use of Apple lossless so it's like a 15 year out of date media player now. I'm honestly not sure what feature set in any of the paid media players (eg. J-River) has to offer.

Using a computer, audio interface and/or surround receiver, and simple media player app is the way to go IMHO. Any new format that might come along is just a software install away. No restrictions or fallout from the format war plagued hardware players that disable formats. You always have the ability to listen to music releases in the highest fullest quality. You can upgrade individual parts in a modular way. Like adding a bluray r/w drive when bluray came along instead of needing a whole new hardware player that meant paying for DAC's and the like all over again. And you get to specifically pick and choose what DAC's and other components you need.

I did start using FLAC, thanks for the recommendations. Sounds like I'm on my way as far as the car (DVD-A) and the upstairs (computer to surround receiver). My last hurdle is my main receiver setup. No computer near it, it has an older blu-ray player which does not play DVD-A. Any options there??
Thanks again !!!

I usually convert everything to FLAC for Foobar and then DTS-CD for my car

DVD-A/V, BD-A- Pass through DVD-Audio Extractor

SACD, Q8, SQ, CD-4- Feed through Creative DTS-610 and CD Recorder then rip to PC

Sounds simple...right? Here's my quandry...
Thanks for the forums, I'v finally been able to hear my quad LPs the way they were meant to be. I've run some through the AA scripts, and used HD Audio Solo to burn DVD-A discs. Unfortunately the only player that I have is in my Acura (it sounds great there !!!!). I'd also like to play them
on my home stereo, and from the PC. My question is....

What format do you store them in, and how do I play them back on the PC and home stereo? Would running the TOSlink from my sound card to the Receiver in work? Or do I need additional software or conversion? On the downstairs home stereo, I'm guessing that since the PC isn't close, I could somehow burn them to Blu-Ray since my player doesn't do DVD-A ??

Thanks!!

--Ed

Try this thread here:
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...Multichannel-Music-Playback-What-s-your-Setup

I use a Media Player connected to my AVR for both stereo and MCH music (audio only and video). You don't need a BDA/DVD-A/SACD player, a media player will play all formats once you have ripped/converted your discs:
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...rs-101-Why-use-a-Media-Player-(Pros-and-Cons)

I did start using FLAC, thanks for the recommendations. Sounds like I'm on my way as far as the car (DVD-A) and the upstairs (computer to surround receiver). My last hurdle is my main receiver setup. No computer near it, it has an older blu-ray player which does not play DVD-A. Any options there??
Thanks again !!!

Burn a couple FLAC files to a re-writable DVD disc and pop it into your blu-ray player. Your player may play the FLAC data files. Mine does.

My current way since my bluray Rear speaker wireless box broke is to go from optical out on my computer (after moding the drivers, otherwise stereo) that goes into a weirtd sony preamp that has AUX rca out, that into 2 amps, voila.

The files are 96/24 WAV use VLC to play em, no compression along the line, Use AA, Made sure I ran the SQ and QS Test tone FLAC though each of the scripts so im getting accurate 'read'. As my main computer is just downstairs for a New transfer of some discs im looking at getting a optical out device for my Laptop, not sure if one can be got for cheap.

What I like out the Sony EP9ES is the remote has front rear vol controls, so if the rears are too loud put the remote at the thing and away you go.

Back