CD-4 Discrete original to digital

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark Penn

I want to split the four quad channels into four, separate digital files. I have already had someone transfer from the original CD-4 vinyl to a CD-R disc, which, when played on a home theater system set to pro-movie logic, plays nicely in quad. However, cannot figure out how to successfully separate the tracks from the disc to independent digital files of each quad track, in either WAV or AIFF format.

Any ideas?

Well, you could use a 4 channel sound card and record the playback into a PC or other recording device that allows the recording of multiple channels.

If the CD you've received is DTS encoded, then you could use Foobar with the proper plugins to rip the DTS (or DD for that matter) into 4 separate wav files, one for each channel.

If the disc you received is a DVD-A, then you need a program that will extract the audio from a DVD-A, like DVD Audio Explorer.

So, reading you post a bit slower, I noticed that the LP is just recorded to a stereo CD, which you are playing through a pro-logic decoder. This is not a proper decode or even a quad playback. You are essentially playing the stereo track through a matrix type synthesizer. The only differences you'll hear are if the stereo mix on the quad LP is different from the quad mix created for the quad release.

You have a bit further to go with that CD-4 album to get the real quad playback.

I want to split the four quad channels into four, separate digital files. I have already had someone transfer from the original CD-4 vinyl to a CD-R disc, which, when played on a home theater system set to pro-movie logic, plays nicely in quad. However, cannot figure out how to successfully separate the tracks from the disc to independent digital files of each quad track, in either WAV or AIFF format.

Any ideas?

THANKS. I'll go to work on this based on your recs.

So, reading you post a bit slower, I noticed that the LP is just recorded to a stereo CD, which you are playing through a pro-logic decoder. This is not a proper decode or even a quad playback. You are essentially playing the stereo track through a matrix type synthesizer. The only differences you'll hear are if the stereo mix on the quad LP is different from the quad mix created for the quad release.

You have a bit further to go with that CD-4 album to get the real quad playback.

Since I am such a greenhorn, how would you suggest going about going further with the CD-4 album to get real quad (and eventually get to four, separate digital files)? I appreciate any suggestions.

You have to play the CD-4 record on a turntable equipped with a CD-4 cartridge and feed the outputs into a CD-4 demodulator to separate the four channels and then record the 4 channels digitally.

Doug

You have to play the CD-4 record on a turntable equipped with a CD-4 cartridge and feed the outputs into a CD-4 demodulator to separate the four channels and then record the 4 channels digitally.

Doug

Thanks, Doug, for this very concise solution. If you might know of someone with the quad set-up to carry this out, let me know. I'll start searching on my own.

Doug
Do you know anyone who could do this for me? I am willing to pay for such a service.

Any ideas?

You cannot record a CD-4 record to a CD-r and preserve the quad information. You will wind up with a stereo recording. See, the problem is that the four original channels don't exist on a CD-4 record. The main audio is a stereo recording that consists of left channel front + back on the left, and right channel front + back on the right. When played back on a stereo system, it comes out in stereo. On each channel there is also a subcarrier, about 30 Kilohertz that is FM modulated. This has a mix that's out of phase to the main channel, it's left channel front - rear. It is also ANRS processed, which is similar to Dolby B. It has to be ANRS decoded. The CD-r recorder won't record this signal because it doesn't have the bandwidth. That's why a special cartridge is required for CD-4. These subcarrier channels are recombined with the main audio channels, keeping left and right separate, It is combined two ways, in phase and out of phase. one way produces (for the left channels) the front left channel. The other way produces the left rear channel, each one cancelling out the undesired elements that belong to the other channel. Same thing for the right channels. Therefore it is much easier to demodulate the channels with a CD-4 demodulator and proper cartridge and table, and then record it with a four channel computer card.

Back