[Rolling Stone, Sept. 30, 1971] Pioneer 4-Channel Ad - Blood, Sweat & Tears

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

~dave~~wave~

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
The fall of 1971 I started college in a larger city and encountered a variety of dorm room and home music systems, as well as eclectic album collections.
The best of times.
This ad ran in Rolling Stone for Pioneer, and mentions "4-channel" as well as stereo components.

Bobby Colomby's music room picture here sports CS-63DX speakers.
[Interesting to see a pair ceiling-hung and angled down, as in a recording studio control room.]

In those days, before the sub-woofer or LFE channel, 15" woofers were guaranteed to deliver all the low end you could ever dream of.
Or today, for that matter.
There's not a dadgum thing "musical" that goes on below 20 Hz, only special effects, IMHO.

BST Pioneer Ad 1971 (1).jpg

The fine print reads:

Bobby's Pioneer equipment includes the TX-1000 Tuner, SA-1000 Amp, SR-202W Reverb, T-8800 Tape Deck, T-3300 Cassette Deck, PL-41D Turntable and...
4 CS-63DX Speaker Systems.
[I knew a guy who had a set of four of those big diamond-grill speakers, they were awesome.]
________________________________________________________________________________________________

pioneer_cs-63dx_front_baffle.jpg

From a brochure:

For those who refuse to compromise, the new, radically improved CS-63DX offers true satisfaction.
Nothing gives you the low frequency energy of a massive 15" woofer.

And to assure unusually natural reproduction in the critical mid-range, two special mid-range units are used. Silky smooth highs are widely dispersed wherever you and your guest may sit because three quality horn tweeters are incorporated in the tested infinite baffle enclosure.

The oil-finished walnut cabinet is exceptionally rigid, most carefully constructed, and perfectly matches the characteristics of the 6 high-performance speakers. It is also a most distinguished example of the cabinet maker's art.

Specifications:
Type: 4 way, 6 driver loudspeaker system
Frequency Response: 20Hz to 22kHz
Power Handling: 80W
Crossover Frequency: 770, 3300, 12000Hz
Impedance: 8Ω
Bass: 1 x 15" cone
Midrange: 2 x 5" horn
Tweeter: 1 x horn
Super Tweeter: 2 x horn
Enclosure: infinite baffle
Dimensions: 720 x 480 x 332mm
Weight: 28.5kg

Last edited by a moderator:
I was just beginning to play Trumpet at about that time. I was about Eleven years old. The Music those guys created changed the course of my life. Not only them, but they were a big part of learning how to listen critically and how to aspire to playing "like you mean it". RIP, Lew Soloff. (February 20, 1944 – March 8, 2015)

I was just beginning to play Trumpet at about that time. I was about Eleven years old. The Music those guys created changed the course of my life. Not only them, but they were a big part of learning how to listen critically and how to aspire to playing "like you mean it". RIP, Lew Soloff. (February 20, 1944 – March 8, 2015)

I'm still amazed by the Chicago Transit Authority album to this day.......Superb musicianship and those horns:SB And, IMO, the ONLY way to listen to it is Rhino/Warner's recent BD~A 4.0 disc. ASTOUNDING.

I've got Quadio. And it is OUTSTANDING. OT, but: Raspberries to "The Absolute Sound" reviewer, who obviously wasn't old enough or experienced enough (He SAID he was a trombone player...but he didn't write like one that I'd want to work with in a studio) who seemed to get EVERY pertinent aspect of the choices made (not always by the band, notably) for the recordings WRONG. But again, I'm picking nits. What we could use now is about a thousand bands (of that quality) that would carry that Musical tradition forward. At least IMO, YMMV...

Last edited:
Back