Disturbing the Universe - new hi-res 2.0, 4.0, 4.1 and 5.1 album - An Underdog Story

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edisonbaggins

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
Hi there, QQ family!

As some of you may not know, my friends and I have recently completed a new stereo and multichannel album of my original material.
It has been mixed, aggressively, ambitiously and discretely, from the source multitracks, in 2.0, 4.0, 4.1 and 5.1!
Those of you who have 4 floor-standing, thunderous speakers, we have heard you! Those of you who prefer no center channel, but who utilize a sub, we have a mix for you! Those of you who love 5.1, we've thought of you too!

This album spans the styles of rock, hard rock, prog rock, soft rock, pop, electronic, world, metal and more. If that is enough to scare you off, please consider that the model of diversity we reached for is Queen's "A Night at the Opera". That said, I like to think of this album as a "something here for everyone" kind of thing.

So, what is this album and why should you care? This album consists of multitracks from an unknown musical artist and QQ member, namely, me. Having grown, over the years, to love and obsess on multichannel recordings, it dawned on me, one day, that I was sitting on some multichannel band recordings of my own and that, maybe, it would be cool if they were mixed in surround! I put out some feelers, seeking help in bringing these recordings to life in multichannel.

Test mixes were done with several engineers, until, ultimately, an unknown mixing engineer, going by ji eff (now cristale), reached out to me, offering to mix the album. Within one or two mixes I was convinced that lightning was waiting to strike. ji eff not only offered a critical ear, rejecting tracks that would sound bad in hi-res surround, but also cleaned-up existing tracks, so they would work, and even supplied original arrangements.

What makes this an underdog album? Well, this album has been made exclusively by friends, on hobbyists' budgets. Yet, I sincerely believe, in terms of songwriting and production, that this album rivals at least one major label, multichannel album in your collection (unless you are new and only have Gaucho, Sea Change or Hotel California in your collection)... This album has received no major (or minor) label fanfare, advertising, distribution or other help. This album is by QQ, for QQ. AFaIK, that makes this album a rarity, if not a one of a kind. IMHO, the QQ community can be very proud that one of their very own, a virtually unknown, unsigned artist, inspired by hanging around and listening to the best multichannel albums available, should be inspired to mix personal multichannel tracks in such a way as has been done here.

So, what is the status of this album? At present, this album exists in 2.0, 4.0, 4.1 and 5.1 FLAC (lossless 48/24) download and 5.1 AVCHD ISO (lossless 48/24) download, as well as 2.0 streaming on bandcamp and soundcloud. Additionally, there is a 9-song version of the album available on 4-channel reel to reel tape (contact QQ member mlrocker for details). A review of this tape should be forthcoming from ArmyofQuad's youtube channel.

My ultimate vision for this album was either CD/DVD-A or CD/BD-A. But, I am the sole bread-winner for a growing family and such a solution just hasn't presented itself, in a practical way, so far. Also, I am deploying to the Middle East, with the US Army soon, so I don't know if I will be able to develop this album further. Still, someday, I'd love to go all the way with this: CD/BD-A, QQ Poll, QQ giveaway, the whole thing. Until then, please stream or download! And leave your comments here and on Facebook!

To this point, I'm just happy the reworking, rerecording, arranging and mixing got done. There were many, many times when I thought this project had reached a dead end and I had to walk away for my sanity and for other priorities. It is my QQ family and other musical friends who stepped up at the right times, in the right ways that ultimately brought this project to fruition. I am very grateful for each one of you.

If, bottom line, streaming or downloading is not your thing, just PM me your address and I will send you a hi-res, 5.1 DVD (AVCHD) burn of this album.

Perhaps, someday, a gofundme or some other kind of kickstarter or other business strategy can be cooked up to bring this album to ultimate manufacturing perfection...

My goal, for this album, is and always will be simply to get the music in to the ears of those who would enjoy it. I'm not looking to quit my day job. As with my 2009 album Out the Window, I will be giving all proceeds to charity.

In any case, thank you for listening, and for your comments. Whatever life demands from here on out, I hope we can experience this album together!

The relevant links:

If you'd like to stream the album in stereo and decide what you think, read some album info, and/or support the artist directly, check this out:
Disturbing the Universe on bandcamp.com

If you'd like to download 2.0, 4.0, 4.1 and/or 5.1 FLAC of the album, all such are hosted and available for purchase here:
Disturbing the Universe on surroundmusic.one

If you'd like some back-story on this project, pass the time here:
"My DVD-A Project" QQ thread

If you'd like to read a few comments about the music and mix, such can be found here:
"New album on https://surroundmusic.one" QQ thread

For a 3rd-party review of the multichannel mix:
Mediaversal Review

My facebook artist page:
Mike Vieira's Facebook Artist Page

If you have read this far, thank you!

Happy listening!

Last edited:
Awesome dude! What a year it's been for you and now off for another adventure eh. I'm proud of you and honored by your committments! Stay in touch and best of Luck and Success!(y):mad:@:

Awesome dude! What a year it's been for you and now off for another adventure eh. I'm proud of you and honored by your committments! Stay in touch and best of Luck and Success!(y):mad:@:

Thanks! Hopefully I'll be able to keep in touch some while I'm overseas.
I have just remembered to include your r2r tape version of the album in my write up. :banana:

OK Y'all. Mike sent me a copy of the 5.1 of this, his album, and you'll have to excuse my French, but THIS IS FUCKING FANTASTIC!!! I don't even know where to start, but WOW. WOW. WOW.

What a professional release, and I can't believe how great it is and how wonderful the 5.1 mix is. I am telling you all now, this is for real. It's so accessible to listen to, and the quality of the performance and songwriting is TOP NOTCH. I kid you not. Forum members send me stuff a lot, and I have to say that on first listen, this is the absolute best and most astonishing thing anyone's ever sent me - and that includes professional stuff.

Mike and his mates should be DAMN PROUD of this effort, because track after track I just sat there and smiled and thought to myself "What a great disc this is".

The 5.1 mix is Steven Wilson quality, if not better. I can't believe I am writing that, but it really is. :yikes

I am telling you all right now, listen to this disc and tell me I'm wrong. I'm not.

I can't wait to listen to this over and over in the car and get into it more. I really can't say anymore, but if you can, get this release.

No kidding.

:wave

Jon, thanks for that review.
Funny the timing, I had forgotten that Mike had put an album out and when Mike put in in his self promotion it made me take notice and I listened to the songs on bandcamp yesterday and even on computer speakers only I really enjoyed what I was hearing.
I do want to order this and will when I get home.
I asked Mike if he had this out as a Dvda iso and he has not yet.
If someone from here wouldn't mind doing me a favor please pm me if you can send me the dvd audio ISO, I will send back my confiirmation that I actually have ordered this.
Can't wait to check this out.

peter

I agree, it really is a first class release, and it ROCKs :cool:.

OK Y'all. Mike sent me a copy of the 5.1 of this, his album, and you'll have to excuse my French, but THIS IS FUCKING FANTASTIC!!! I don't even know where to start, but WOW. WOW. WOW.

What a professional release, and I can't believe how great it is and how wonderful the 5.1 mix is. I am telling you all now, this is for real. It's so accessible to listen to, and the quality of the performance and songwriting is TOP NOTCH. I kid you not. Forum members send me stuff a lot, and I have to say that on first listen, this is the absolute best and most astonishing thing anyone's ever sent me - and that includes professional stuff.

Mike and his mates should be DAMN PROUD of this effort, because track after track I just sat there and smiled and thought to myself "What a great disc this is".

The 5.1 mix is Steven Wilson quality, if not better. I can't believe I am writing that, but it really is. :yikes

I am telling you all right now, listen to this disc and tell me I'm wrong. I'm not.

I can't wait to listen to this over and over in the car and get into it more. I really can't say anymore, but if you can, get this release.

No kidding.

I asked Mike if he had this out as a Dvda iso and he has not yet.
If someone from here wouldn't mind doing me a favor please pm me if you can send me the dvd audio ISO, I will send back my confiirmation that I actually have ordered this.
peter

Hey Peter, as mentioned in a PM, no DVD-A has been developed. I think that would be a really cool idea, even if just for those QQers who can play the format in their car.
I think I've seen a post here or there, stating that it isn't too tough to convert MC FLAC to DVD-A. Or maybe AVCHD.
In any case, if somebody would like to volunteer to make a "car disc" version of this album, I would happily supply the needed tracks.
Would that typically be only MC or would that include 2.0 as well?
Also, since the album already exists in 4.0, 4.1 and 5.1, which would be the best tracks to supply? Some cars don't have a center, but most have sub. So, the 4.1?
If somebody would like to take a crack at it, send message me and I'll get you a link.

Hey Peter, as mentioned in a PM, no DVD-A has been developed. I think that would be a really cool idea, even if just for those QQers who can play the format in their car.
I think I've seen a post here or there, stating that it isn't too tough to convert MC FLAC to DVD-A. Or maybe AVCHD.
In any case, if somebody would like to volunteer to make a "car disc" version of this album, I would happily supply the needed tracks.
Would that typically be only MC or would that include 2.0 as well?
Also, since the album already exists in 4.0, 4.1 and 5.1, which would be the best tracks to supply? Some cars don't have a center, but most have sub. So, the 4.1?
If somebody would like to take a crack at it, send message me and I'll get you a link.

Order placed and downloading the 5.1 now :)

I am fortunate enough to have a Acura ILX with ELS so it is a proper 5.1 for car so that's what I would prefer, 5.1 DVDA.

Curious-which surround do most people prefer, pretty neat that you made this with so many options.

Order placed and downloading the 5.1 now :)

I am fortunate enough to have a Acura ILX with ELS so it is a proper 5.1 for car so that's what I would prefer, 5.1 DVDA.

Curious-which surround do most people prefer, pretty neat that you made this with so many options.

Doing some reading, I guess cars that don't have a center fold-down the center channel to the FL/FR. And those who have a center in their car would certainly like the 5.1. So, I guess 5.1 is the best mix for a car disc.
Is there value in also including 2.0? Also, some car decks don't do DVD-A, so the disc would need to be DVD-A/V, right?
As I've said, if anybody would like to make a car disc ISO for the benefit of QQers, I'd be happy to supply the FLACs.

I have a buddy with an Acura ELS who only listens to her phone out of it... I'd love to get her hooked on surround and the album by giving her a disc for her car! :banana:

No kidding.

Jon, I'm just floored and overjoyed by your review. And delighted that I could be a part of some surround sound happiness for somebody. That's all a guy can really ask for. :eek:

I passed your comments about the mix on to the engineer and they are well-appreciated.

I agree, it really is a first class release, and it ROCKs :cool:.

Thanks for listening and for your feedback!

Mike, you and your crew deserve the praise. I really mean that.

As far as the car goes, most factory surround systems (that are left, or in older models) do in fact have a center channel and it actually works great in the car because the speaker is usually in the dash up in the center of the windshield, so a mix with vocals in the center channel sound terrific as the vocals bounce off the windshield and fill the car while the surround channels come from all around the perimeter of the cabin.

I do not want to speak for him directly, but I would suggest either AoQ or Bob Romano as two excellent creators of DTS CDs and DVD-Audio .ISO's if that's what you'd also like to have available for download from your site. I am sure either one of them would be able to help you there. (I do not mean to slight other QQ members, but these two guys come to the top of my aging head right this minute)

I made a DTS CD for my car of your album, but it's a quick throw together deal. If you want something that people pay for, you need a polished .ISO.

Somehow missed the thread over the last few days of Rush frenzy.

Will definitely give this a listen - sounds like it might be right up my alley. Best wishes for success with the project - maybe not a million seller but I suspect these days recovering some of the investment is deemed "success."

And....big thanks for the service too. Your career, family....can't imagine how you find the time to indulge in your hobby/second career but glad you somehow make the time.

Somehow missed the thread over the last few days of Rush frenzy.

Will definitely give this a listen - sounds like it might be right up my alley. Best wishes for success with the project - maybe not a million seller but I suspect these days recovering some of the investment is deemed "success."

And....big thanks for the service too. Your career, family....can't imagine how you find the time to indulge in your hobby/second career but glad you somehow make the time.

Yeah, my goal is to put this music out, in whatever form will reach the most interested listeners, without losing my ass or causing a divorce, preferably! :mad:@:

Anyway, thank you for listening! I hope you find the album enjoyable. :banana:

Mike, you and your crew deserve the praise. I really mean that.

As far as the car goes, most factory surround systems (that are left, or in older models) do in fact have a center channel and it actually works great in the car because the speaker is usually in the dash up in the center of the windshield, so a mix with vocals in the center channel sound terrific as the vocals bounce off the windshield and fill the car while the surround channels come from all around the perimeter of the cabin.

I do not want to speak for him directly, but I would suggest either AoQ or Bob Romano as two excellent creators of DTS CDs and DVD-Audio .ISO's if that's what you'd also like to have available for download from your site. I am sure either one of them would be able to help you there. (I do not mean to slight other QQ members, but these two guys come to the top of my aging head right this minute)

I made a DTS CD for my car of your album, but it's a quick throw together deal. If you want something that people pay for, you need a polished .ISO.

Hey Jon, thanks for these tips. I'll do some inquiring.

Just for the record, I am perfectly ok with you sharing your DTS CD ISO with others in the surround sound in the car club. I'd even be willing to post it and host it.

Again, my primary motive with this project is just to get this music in to interested listeners' ears.

I have a side motive to help out Jan's surroundmusic.one store. I think he's trying to do something very good for the surround community. Anything that goes up on his site should be as polished as possible. For now, the stereo and multichannel FLACs are up on his site and they are a done deal. The AVCHD ISO is up there too, just because is offers 5.1 in hi-res for many players and might be the best disc I'm able to develop.

Anything that I host out of my dropbox can be "quick and dirty" or a work in progress, if you will. The community has been helping me develop this thing, one step at a time. I do hope, someday, that there will be a satisfying, polished and finished package.

Believe me, my friends and I are very proud (or maybe relieved) that this project has come out as well as it has. But I am very, very grateful for every bit of encouragement and appreciation and help in spreading the word too.

Hey folks! The last AVCHD discs are being mailed today. Thanks for all the interest!
I need to close that offer for now. Computer trouble, family illness, deadline at work, packing up to leave town soon, etc. :mad:@:

For now, the AVCHD ISO is available to download from Jan's online store surroundmusic.one

Beyond that, a 2-disc, printed version of the album is in the works - either CD/AVCHD or CD/BD.

Stay tuned!

Main menu. If all goes well, there will be several very cool Easter Eggs...
dtu-main-menu.jpg

Back