Breaking Up Box Sets - Pros and Cons?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

~dave~~wave~

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
I'm interested in opinions on the pros and cons of breaking up large box sets, especially those with mixtures of media:
"bonus" vinyl in a digital box, bonus surround disc in a stereo box, duplicate dvds of blu-ray material, etc.

Case in point: my ELP Fanfare "exclusive" triple vinyl LP (and 45 singles).
I'll never play them unless I make a needle drop on my 1980s consumer turntable.
(No download code.)
I feel it could be "re-homed," but does that violate the integrity of the package?

Other examples: the PF Early Years, the recent blow-out sale on the super deluxe Aqualung, etc.

It seems the Floyd box has massive duplication of DVD and BD, do folks feel they need to hang on to both?
I only bought the '71 box (for Echoes 4.0).
I'd consider selling, trading, gifting or loaning the DVDs as long as I keep the BD.
I benefited from getting the 2014 Division Bell 5.1 DVD off eBay as a single disc.

My super-deluxe Warrior On The Edge Of Time vinyl is valuable to me not for the disc, but for the reproduction four-panel die-cut gatefold shield-shaped sleeve.

Among our collectors / investors / sandbaggers / profiteers / OCDs / hoarders ;)
I'd appreciate your thoughts and experiences.

:couch

I simply do not have the space to keep all the big boxes that contain the 5.1 mixes I want. I break them up as necessary. I have had decent luck selling them with one disc missing at garage sales. Decent enough luck that I will continue to buy big boxes and break them up.

I have had decent luck selling them with one disc missing at garage sales.

Wow, you must live in a good neighborhood with a different dynamic than where I'm from.
Do you put a realistic price tag on it and negotiate? Advertise to collectors?

Here, if I set something like that out, nobody would even ask about it except to offer two dollars. :rolleyes:
Hence, my realization that my carefully curated discs and musical instruments will sell for peanuts at an estate sale or go to charity shops if I don't begin a divestment plan sooner than later.

Americans are pack rats.
Swedes have the solution: ‘Death cleaning.’

https://www.washingtonpost.com/life...3470754bbb9_story.html?utm_term=.91e9a920510d

Wow, you must live in a good neighborhood with a different dynamic than where I'm from.

Here, if I set something like that out, nobody would even ask about it except to offer two dollars. :rolleyes:
Hence, my realization that my carefully curated discs and musical instruments will sell for peanuts at an estate sale or go to charity shops if I don't begin a divestment plan sooner than later.

Americans are pack rats.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/life...3470754bbb9_story.html?utm_term=.91e9a920510d

The Nordic race are aliens...not joking....

I appreciate when I see stand-alone BD and DVD discs on Ebay. Especially when material is redundant in the set and maybe the seller doesn't have a BD player. Everybody wins.
I got the PF WYWH BD for <$30 that way. Similarly, I sold my PF DSOTM Immersion Set withOUT the BD. Buyer seemed happy. I'm happy.

I'd suggest that the classifieds section on the Hoffman forums would be a great place to list a box for sale, making clear that the BD/DVD is missing. This board has wonderful classifieds too, but I don't think you'd get many takers among surround fans.

eBay works pretty well also, but it tends to bury necessary caveats a bit too much. I'd avoid Amazon since the caveats really get buried there - and I think they don't let people sell a lot of popular music anymore.

I've never purchased a megabox (not counting classical) normally, but I've ended up with a few - for whatever reason I don't want to part with my Quadrophenia or Nevermind boxes, and the Superunknown box isn't really that big anyway. For whatever reason I don't want to sell off the box and keep the surround discs for Superunknown and Quadrophenia, even though I haven't really touched the rest of the content. If you can bring yourself to sell stuff you don't listen to, I suggest doing so.

Almost everything I've bought, I've retained.

If the packaging isn't a typical plastic case, it gets re-homed in one of the many spares I've bought for that specific purpose.

I'll usually keep the surround disc and any CDs with content that ain't on the surround disc in the cabinet for ease of access.

The packaging and any other discs that won't get a spin are stored in stackable plastic containers in a spare room closet. Yes, music in alphabetical order and movies in chronological order.

However, if I bought something that had a bunch of formats that I don't really care about, I would split it up and try and sell it. Discogs could be an option if you really want to get rid of something. I've never sold on Discogs but bought a bunch of stuff. Only got one dud out-of-print CD that was scratched and skipped right on the one track that I bought the album for but I managed to get a local video store to "resurface" (i.e., shave) it for me. Plays perfectly now.

Americans are pack rats.

Northern California is definitely a swell place for garage sales, though I should have stressed the word "LUCK" in my original post, because I have been extraordinarily lucky at finding the right person at the right time to purchase my unwanted items.

Thanks for the replies.

It only took an hour to sell the vinyl on SHF classified for a third of what I paid for the box. :D

Now it will go to somebody who appreciates it, win - win.

Back