Are Music Blu-Ray discs (and DVD-A for that matter) HDCP protected?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Archetype

Hi everyone.

I know the title seems a bit nefarious but this question is really about being able to view the menu of music Blu-ray, DVD-A and SACD's on a screen other than a HDCP complaint TV.

I use my Oppo BDP103 purely for surround music listening. Consequently I don't have TV/monitor connected to my player. This was't a problem when playing SACDs because they just play in multi channel automatically. My grief started when I started buying music Blu rays and DVD-A. Damn. Do you think I could get them to play? Not really. The DVD-A's were easier to guess my way through the remote and get something going but sometimes I just gave up and ejected. I still have a couple of discs I haven't listened to because of this.

What I figures I could do is get a small 7" monitor with an HDMI in and use that for menu searching. The problem is that these 7" monitors were really meant for DSLRs or the back of car head rests. Another option was a HDMI-USB game capture dongle that is used to view video game consoles on your computer.

I'm sure someone - albeit a very few - have this issue and must have developed a solution.

Thanks for your time,

Mitch

My impression is that the Oppo outputs all blu-ray video as HDCP protected, but I'm open to being corrected.

By far the cheapest solution is to buy a small screen with a HDCP-compliant DVD-D or HDMI input. Best Buy will sell you a 19" monitor for $70 with a HDCP-compliant DVI-D input (https://www.bestbuy.com/site/acer-19-5-led-hd-monitor-black/8968426.p?skuId=8968426), and you can get a HDMI to DVI-D cable for under $7.

I don't see a better way of getting video content from a blu-ray onscreen. It doesn't seem like there's a consumer device that can output HDCP-protected content as unprotected content, and I suspect such a device would be illegal under the Digital Millenium Copyright Act anyway.

For DVD-Audio I didn't think it uses HDCP, but I could be wrong.

Thanks ubertrout.

Yea, I kind of figured that, being HDMI, it would need an HDCP compatible unit. Or at least I realized that I wasn't willing to jump through the hoops to get a complex solution to work. SO, I just bought a used monitor with HDMI (HDCP) and everything is good.

That said, I now realize why I couldn't get YES - Close to edge to play at all. I had to go through 8 pages to get to the mix selection page. I tried the colored buttons (Red - 5.1), (Green = Stereo) etc but they didn't work. But, I think that's how I might have gotten some of the other disks to work though. Accidentally hitting the RED button.

Thank for your input. Off to listen to music now.

Back