General DLNA question

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob Romano

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
So I tried to set up DLNA with Windows 10, my network and my Oppo 203 player. I can see all the files I have assigned however it is painfully slow to load a file and they don't play gapless. Will JRiver help with this problem? I have a fast wireless connection (175mbits/sec) and i can play all kinds of files with the Oppo using a USB drive. Just wondering what the best setup would be. I have about 30TB of drive space on my system so I would like to access whatever I can. Or am I missing something?

Thanks

So I tried to set up DLNA with Windows 10, my network and my Oppo 203 player. I can see all the files I have assigned however it is painfully slow to load a file and they don't play gapless. Will JRiver help with this problem?
Nope. No gapless with DLNA.

I have a fast wireless connection (175mbits/sec) and i can play all kinds of files with the Oppo using a USB drive.
I wouldn't consider that fast and much prefer wired.

Nope. No gapless with DLNA.

I wouldn't consider that fast and much prefer wired.

Thanks Kal!

That should have been Mbits/s. I can download a 4GB file in about 6-8 minutes. It's fast for downloading and streaming to Netflix etc is no problem. But no gapless on DLNA is a deal breaker for me so I guess it's time to get a bigger HD for the Oppo. Although I am not really a fan of the gapless playback on the Oppo either. Glitches sometimes.

Thanks Kal!

That should have been Mbits/s. I can download a 4GB file in about 6-8 minutes. It's fast for downloading and streaming to Netflix etc is no problem. But no gapless on DLNA is a deal breaker for me so I guess it's time to get a bigger HD for the Oppo. Although I am not really a fan of the gapless playback on the Oppo either. Glitches sometimes.

The Oppo is working as the renderer?

Although I am not really a fan of the gapless playback on the Oppo either. Glitches sometimes.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised that Oppo STILL doesn't care enough to get gapless right, but on some level I am. If the 203 works like the 103, the best/easiest way to get gapless playback is to create whole-album files with separate (not embedded) cue sheets and access them via SMB rather than any dedicated media server.

When I was still using the Oppo 105I had gapless playback usign the Oppo Media Control app. Browse to your album folder, hold the first track slightly longer than normal and a window pops up asking if you want gapless play or normal play.

Renderer?

Not sure what you mean by this.

On DLNA, you have
Server (where are the music files)
Control Point (where you do choose etc...)
Renderer (the actual device that play the music).

On DLNA, you have
Server (where are the music files)
Control Point (where you do choose etc...)
Renderer (the actual device that play the music).
Yes... when I go to network on the oppo I can see the drives that I have assigned on my computer. I can choose the folders and get into the tracks but it's really slow to play.

Yes... when I go to network on the oppo I can see the drives that I have assigned on my computer. I can choose the folders and get into the tracks but it's really slow to play.

So the Oppo is both control point and rendeder.
Agree that SMB can be a better solution (it's the one i'm using on my lan), try to set the samba share on the server, disable dlna and access the files with smb/cifs.

Back