Call for Surround Sound & Stereo DSD Reviewers

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmoura

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
Native DSD Music is looking for listeners who want to review Stereo and Surround Sound DSD Downloads.
And receive Free DSD Downloads in return.

An interesting opportunity to hear some of the newest Surround Sound DSD recordings - including over 100 that are not available on Surround Sound SACD.

Check the link below for details.
Deadline to send in your review to [email protected] is November 18th, 2017

Reviewers-wanted-jpg.jpg

http://blog.nativedsd.com/call-for-dsd-reviewers-are-you-opinionated/

I have been chosen by Native DSD to be a possible reviewer as they have narrowed there selection down to a few. Not sure if I’m up to the task. Fortunately I think they they like my style which is short and sweet, not a long review mostly copied from Wikipedia. I think reviews should be brief about the performance and the sonic qualities. I have read enough opinions about recordings and I always get the feeling when the reviewer on a forum is negative, I am hearing “look what a golden ear I have and I can tell you what’s wrong”. Fortunately for me my machine is quite good, which helps my rock concert, construction worker, hard party, 62 year old ears, which are good still but not Golden.
What do you think ? What turns you on and off in a review of a recording. If I accept this honor I certainly want to do a good job and feedback is helpful. I used to write reviews on SACD.Net and of course I scored well but never perfect, as there was always a thumbs down.

Congrats Mark! Hope you will accept this and review away :)

Personally I like when a reviewer engages the reader in the review, without getting fanboi-ish. I dont know your sacd reviews, but if those were good, just continue that way. It doesnt have to be all 10s all the the time ;)

I have been chosen by Native DSD to be a possible reviewer as they have narrowed there selection down to a few. Not sure if I’m up to the task. Fortunately I think they they like my style which is short and sweet, not a long review mostly copied from Wikipedia. I think reviews should be brief about the performance and the sonic qualities. I have read enough opinions about recordings and I always get the feeling when the reviewer on a forum is negative, I am hearing “look what a golden ear I have and I can tell you what’s wrong”. Fortunately for me my machine is quite good, which helps my rock concert, construction worker, hard party, 62 year old ears, which are good still but not Golden.
What do you think ? What turns you on and off in a review of a recording. If I accept this honor I certainly want to do a good job and feedback is helpful. I used to write reviews on SACD.Net and of course I scored well but never perfect, as there was always a thumbs down.

Congratulations on being chosen to be among the potential reviewers invited to continue on in the selection process for the new NativeDSD reviewers group.
That could be a very interesting assignment! :)

Congratulations. Go for it! It is the music that counts the most. Everybody perceives things differently. I look for reviewers who 'perceive' like me on QQ and in the printed media if I'm musing over a purchase, as that works for me. So reviewers need to have a diversity of opinions and review styles.

Thank you Robert, Brian and Duncan. I am going to give it a shot this weekend on some jazz titles and they want me to send a 2-3 sentence bio, etc.
I will say this, now that I have purchased about 9 titles, all jazz or blues in the 2XHD Fusion series they are all perfect sounding, they breathe air and I love hearing the toe taps or the murmurs of voice. The NativeDSD site is perfect except they don’t have a downloader yet, which would make downloading a one step process instead of a two step process. Not that big of a deal and as the site grows they probably will be able to afford that extra.

I am going to give it a shot this weekend on some jazz titles and they want me to send a 2-3 sentence bio, etc.
I will say this, now that I have purchased about 9 titles, all jazz or blues in the 2XHD Fusion series they are all perfect sounding, they breathe air and I love hearing the toe taps or the murmurs of voice.

I totally agree on the 2xHD Jazz releases in DSD.
They are excellent Analog to DSD transfers.

Since these albums do not get released as Stereo SACDs, they are often a starting point for Jazz fans when they buy their first disc player (like the Oppo 103/5, 203/5) or Digital to Analog Converter (DACs like the exaSound e32 and e38, Merging Technologies NADAC/NADAC Player, etc.) that include DSD 64, DSD 128 and DSD 256 playback.

Originally the 2xHD titles were created from Analog Tape to DSD 64 and DSD 128 transfers.
Recently 2xHD bought a Merging Technologies system with Horus converter and Pyramix software so the transfers are now Analog to DSD 256.

I gave them one of my three Writer's Choice Awards at Positive Feedback this year.
Very well deserved and earned.

"2xHD Mastering was formed by audio expert and recording and mastering engineer Rene LaFlamme and his partner producer and recording engineer Andre Perry. They initially licensed classic audiophile titles from labels including Proprius and Naxos and released remastered albums in DSD 64 and DSD 128 Stereo. With the increasing interest in DSD 256 titles, which some audio experts say brings you very close to the sound quality of Analog Tape and the even wider dynamic range of DSD 256 recordings, 2xHD upgraded their audio chain and began reissuing albums in DSD 256 as well as the earlier DSD 128 and DSD 64-bit rates.

This year things became really interesting for Jazz fans when 2xHD applied this new system to classic albums from Resonance Records and Storyville Records. Resonance is led by Jazz experts George Klabin and Zev Feldman. Klabin and Feldman have an uncanny ability to find and then reissue rare lost Jazz recordings. Partnering with 2xHD has led to a gold mine of new Analog Master Tape to DSD 256 Stereo releases from the Resonance catalog featuring recordings with Bill Evans, Stan Getz, Jaco Pastorius, Shirley Horn, Sarah Vaughan, and several more.

Storyville Records is one of Europe's top independent Jazz labels. They are known for reissuing fine Jazz recordings from Analog Tape as well. Their partnership with 2xHD has led to Analog to DSD 256 releases of recordings by artists including Louis Armstrong, Duke Ellington, Coleman Hawkins, Les McCann, Ben Webster, Sonny Boy Williamson, and Teddy Wilson.

Interestingly 2xHD's gradual entry into the DSD Download market has led to some download sites only offering their releases in DSD 64 (their first DSD releases) while others sell them in DSD 64 (single rate DSD) and DSD 128 (double rate DSD). This was illustrated at the recent DSD Seminar at the LA Audio Show where some seminar attendees didn't realize that their regular DSD downloads site didn't carry the DSD 256 (quad rate DSD) editions of the 2xHD-Resonance and 2xHD-Storyville releases. (You can find the 2xHD DSD 256 releases at NativeDSD Music and Acoustic Sounds.) For those who do find the DSD 256 editions of these Analog to DSD transfers, you will be richly rewarded with some real Jazz treasures.

Here's hoping that 2xHD, Resonance, and Storyville continue their partnership and bring us, even more, Jazz classics in DSD 256 Stereo. Hearing Bill Evans, Louis Armstrong, Stan Getz, Teddy Wilson, and more in this excellent format is a special treat. And one that certainly deserves a Writer's Choice Award to 2xHD, Resonance and Storyville."

https://positive-feedback.com/audio...tive-feedback-writers-choice-awards-for-2017/

Back