Rush - A Farewell to Kings 40th anniversary box set (Steven Wilson 5.1 mix included)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So amazon's introductory price for this box set is $149.98 which makes it a definite no-buy for me.
If the Blu-Ray in the box set is exactly the same as the one released in 2015, then most forum members would be better off going with the original Blu-Ray release, which can still be purchased here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00QR7ZLYA/

:)
That's a big 10-4 on that. I won't be purchasing $150.00 of anything re hashed. I purchased the BD-A on April 12th 2015 and that is good enough.

Crap! I wasn’t going to buy this box, but rush.com just revealed that the Blu-Ray disc contains a new 5.1 surround mix by Steven Wilson!

https://www.rush.com/a-farewell-to-kings-40th-anniversary-release/

‘Meanwhile, the Blu-ray Audio disc contains a brand new 5.1 surround mix of the album by four-time Grammy[emoji768] nominated surround sound producer Steven Wilson, along with three original 1977 promo videos from a newly found 2-inch quad video master significantly improving the video quality for “Closer To The Heart.”’

81ckTgHlZtL._SL1417_.jpg

91OEtiBv2LL._SL1500_.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Crap! I wasn’t going to buy this box, but rush.com just revealed that the Blu-Ray disc contains a new 5.1 surround mix by Steven Wilson!

‘Meanwhile, the Blu-ray Audio disc contains a brand new 5.1 surround mix of the album by four-time Grammy[emoji768] nominated surround sound producer Steven Wilson, along with three original 1977 promo videos from a newly found 2-inch quad video master significantly improving the video quality for “Closer To The Heart.”’

1901734a4d8fc1392a957deda5464936.jpg

eb73c2eaf48aea00d3042e859c22ca6b.jpg

HOLY MACKEREL!

:yikes

My favourite Rush album, one of my favourite ever albums, with a surround mix by my favourite surround mixer! I'm now sorely tempted myself :confused:

Reading the Rush Backstage press release for this has filled me with anticipation. SW mixes Rush!!!! Oh my!!! I only hope I can get just the Blu-ray disc. I don't need the other stuff but a 5.1 by SW of one of my very fave albums!!! A dream come true. This better not be fake news.

:yikes

My favorite Rush album, one of my favorite ever albums, with a surround mix by my favorite surround mixer! I'm now sorely tempted myself :confused:
What a beautiful box set. Rush must have heard our drums beating as less than 24 hours ago this info was not on there site.
For now I am holding back, already have a BLU RAY and it's not like I listen every day. I see a trend starting with these giant box sets and not the best in trends.

Thanks RT for at least letting me look at the beautiful pictures of the box set.

1901734a4d8fc1392a957deda5464936.jpg

eb73c2eaf48aea00d3042e859c22ca6b.jpg

I don't even know what to say (but I'll try...) While I would normally hope for a stand-alone BD, there are already several different packages on rushbackstage, so I fear the BD might be box-locked.
As a die-hard Rush fan and a huge fan of Steven Wilson's mixing, this is a must for me, no matter what though. The existing DVD-A and BD have their issues. Lots of room for improvement. Rush might finally have a bone fide 10er on their hands!
Looks like I'll have to "re-home" some of my collection. My hope is they will roll through at least to Permanent Waves.

Interesting that the CDs contain the entire Hammersmith show now, plus covers. While that isn't the greatest appeal for me, at least it's something from the vault and something new.

WOW,WOW,WOW,WOW
This is a game changer. When Geddy Lee was asked in an interview about SW and he should get in touch with SW it obviously happened.
Now Hemispheres could become a reality as well next year as long as they have the multitracks.

OMG!!

I sure wasn't expecting that after those bait n' switch boxes with the offensive studio intern 5.1 scratch mixes.

Wait... you're not just messing with us on this are you?

This would be a dream come true! (You really better not be making this up, man.) Part one of my favorite Rush album! (This better be true.) It goes without saying that they would follow up with part two of this album right? (Hemispheres that is.)

Whoa, wow... is this really truly happening?!

Web page looks legit.
It's not April 1st.
Pretty sure I'm not asleep dreaming.
This looks real! :)

:yikes:yikes:yikes:yikes

What?? Steven Wilson does RUSH?? I am so sold it ain't even funny.....

Alex Lifeson played on Fear of a Blank Planet, so there's some connection. I was hoping this set included the previous 5.1 mix so I could save my money, but now I'm probably going to go for it.

Just when I thought I was out of this release...they drag me back in...geeze...not my favorite from Rush...BUT...if this opens the door for other Steven Wilson Rush projects then this news is amazing...of course I have to have this one...given the multiple configurations that have been established.... I don't see a standalone blu ray...AT THIS POINT....maybe down the road..

No, they're clearly following major label SOP here. The surround mix only included in a deluxe boxed edition.
Turns out it's going to work on me too.

Man... if this is rumor or another bait and switch, someone's gonna get hurt!

$150 for a SW 5.1 mix of this. I mean... it's worth it to me... but you're a bunch of greedy fucks. What record label is this?

I'm like most on here....I just want the blu ray....BUT...I will buy the set...but thinking about the rest of the set...getting rid of 4LP's and 3 CDs isn't a hard decision...but what about the famous KING'S RING...I mean they are providing a vessel to store this treasure...a custom VEVET pouch!....and it that wasn't enough...a neck chain!...now that is fit for a king...but how do I display this item...I'm too old to go the nose or ear piercing route...I guess I could sport the Mr. T look and add a few more chains...I guess I'm open to suggestions from some hip millennials on here...please PM me with any "cool" suggestions for this valuable jewelry...maybe I should contact Mercury Records...they might have some great ideas..

For those that would rather have a white background...check this out

Just when I thought I was out of this release...they drag me back in...geeze...not my favorite from Rush...BUT...if this opens the door for other Steven Wilson Rush projects then this news is amazing...of course I have to have this one...given the multiple configurations that have been established.... I don't see a standalone blu ray...AT THIS POINT....maybe down the road..

I hope greed doesn't take over and lead to this being a one off. (Like when Pink Floyd remastered their whole catalog but because they priced the bluray editions at $150 they only ever released two albums. And then the rest reduced to CD.)

I suppose the marketing types did their math. Does it really make more sales revenue to release these surround mixes at a price only the bigger fans would be willing to pay? This suggests that said die hard fans are the only ones that would ever purchase this at any price. (ie. A lower price wouldn't equal more sales.) I still wonder if someone is coldly doing the math on this and coming to that conclusion or if this doesn't also include an element of greed gone wild at their own expense.

But the part that this album is getting a SW 5.1 mix and it's being made available to us in perfect lossless HD is why I keep calling this the golden age of audio right now. :)

So right after Sector sets came out, I, through my job as a CT Tech met Alex Lifeson. I told him about QQ and talked quad and surround with him. He gave me his cell# and we talked several times for hours sometimes. He didn't even know that Snakes and Arrows and the Sectors sets were in 5.1, he's a stereo guy. He asked what I thought of them I said that to my ears the Sector sets were too compressed, that the bass was muddy to me. I said we were DAMN glad to have them but I had hoped they would have been better sounding in highrez. He then started talking about a sound board that he loved back in the 70's called a Gamble Blue, he loved the analog sound and that he missed that sound. He asked if I could find him one that he wanted to put it in his home studio in Williams Arizona, a home he just bought. I have fished the great trout lakes in that area and told him that he should try them. He invited me to come up with my trout boat and show him how to fish them.
So I did find him a Gamble Blue board in a travel case at a sound company in San Fran that was willing to part with it. Gave him the contact and then like a typical celeb never heard from him again, never a thanks. I was ok with it as he and Rush have given me thousands of hours of prog heaven.

Ya but here we go again I just want the BD, $149:yikes

So do I hold out for the BD,or hope for a price drop or bite the bullet so I get it before it's OOP.

Back