Rush - A Farewell to Kings 40th anniversary box set (Steven Wilson 5.1 mix included)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Holy Crap... Is it April 1st?!? This is fantastic!!!! I've often dreamed of this day, but never thought it would come! Steven Wilson mixing Rush... wow. Just wow. Maybe I'll buy 2 just to help make sure this is not a one-off. This is why I love this forum.... earlier this morning I checked in and nothing but technical talk (no offense to the techies;))... then... THIS!:banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:

I hope greed doesn't take over and lead to this being a one off. (Like when Pink Floyd remastered their whole catalog but because they priced the bluray editions at $150 they only ever released two albums. And then the rest reduced to CD.)

I suppose the marketing types did their math. Does it really make more sales revenue to release these surround mixes at a price only the bigger fans would be willing to pay? This suggests that said die hard fans are the only ones that would ever purchase this at any price. (ie. A lower price wouldn't equal more sales.) I still wonder if someone is coldly doing the math on this and coming to that conclusion or if this doesn't also include an element of greed gone wild at their own expense.

But the part that this album is getting a SW 5.1 mix and it's being made available to us in perfect lossless HD is why I keep calling this the golden age of audio right now. :)

I have vowed to not get into arguments on the internet...it's a futile effort...and more importantly a waste of time...very seldom do you change someone's point of view...but IMO you are dead wrong about greed..in this case...if greed was the motive they would have used the recent blu ray surround version in this set and saved a lot of money...you don't hire Steven Wilson and do a completely new mix of a 2 year old product if your goal is to maximize profits...and the retail price of $150(which will probably be less)for FOUR LPs..3CD's..a Blu Ray is far from a "greed driven" suggested price...maybe bmoura can give you a breakdown of all the expenses with a project like this one...it's not cheap....just because you only want the blu ray doesn't make this set expensive.

I think the band has heard the complaints about the sound quality of their music...I would surmise they were the driving force behind Steven Wilson's involvement...not the record company...

I've just e-mailed them to ask if a stand alone Blu-ray will be available at some point in the future.

I also took the opportunity to tell them the error of their marketing ways, made some suggestions of other releases to seek out as good examples, and also invited them here to get a consensus on what the community actually thinks! As far as I'm concerned they are completely missing a trick, I for one won't be dropping $150 (£115) just for a 5.1 mix, SW or not! I have no interest in vinyl, rings, velvet pouches or any of the other garbage they include either, I have even less interest in splitting up a box to try and to sell the bits I don't want after too. I'd be happy to buy a more inexpensive box with say the 3 CD's / Blu-ray, or just the Blu, but for now it's a lost sale. I have even suggested a FLAC download of the 5.1 Surround mix if they can't justify a smaller box, that would cost them literally nothing to host and may even surprise them. I'll let you know if I get a reply...

This is going to look sweet next to Sgt. Pepper. I'm going to need a new shelf for all of these big, beautiful super deluxe boxes of joy.:)

Pre-ordered. (Only one for now)

I'm like most on here....I just want the blu ray....BUT...I will buy the set...but thinking about the rest of the set...getting rid of 4LP's and 3 CDs isn't a hard decision...but what about the famous KING'S RING...I mean they are providing a vessel to store this treasure...a custom VEVET pouch!....and it that wasn't enough...a neck chain!...now that is fit for a king...but how do I display this item...I'm too old to go the nose or ear piercing route...I guess I could sport the Mr. T look and add a few more chains...I guess I'm open to suggestions from some hip millennials on here...please PM me with any "cool" suggestions for this valuable jewelry...maybe I should contact Mercury Records...they might have some great ideas..

For those that would rather have a white background...check this out

Looking forward to hearing "Xandu" and "Madigral" (from the Rush website)... hope the quality control is a little better on the set!:mad:@:

I have vowed to not get into arguments on the internet...it's a futile effort...and more importantly a waste of time...very seldom do you change someone's point of view...but IMO you are dead wrong about greed..in this case...if greed was the motive they would have used the recent blu ray surround version in this set and saved a lot of money...you don't hire Steven Wilson and do a completely new mix of a 2 year old product if your goal is to maximize profits...and the retail price of $150(which will probably be less)for FOUR LPs..3CD's..a Blu Ray is far from a "greed driven" suggested price...maybe bmoura can give you a breakdown of all the expenses with a project like this one...it's not cheap....just because you only want the blu ray doesn't make this set expensive.

I think the band has heard the complaints about the sound quality of their music...I would surmise they were the driving force behind Steven Wilson's involvement...not the record company...

Those are all positive points. :)

There are the purely greedy repackaged sets as you mention. But then we still get releases that seemed like they started from an artistic place until some marketing type got their hands on them. And of course those Sector sets were one of the more glaring examples of a greed driven record label release.

My glass is way more than half full here. Overflowing on this one actually!

Still a fair question to ask though. Does the greed driven model make more money at the end of the day? Someone thinks it does. Is this set another example of that? Someone decided to sell the bluray bundled with other items here as the only option. Maybe they figured out there's more demand for a "collectors" set than for the surround remix?

All I know is at $150 a pop, I'll also pick up Hemispheres and maybe Permanent Waves too (wishful thinking and all). If they were $25 - $50 a pop, I'd preorder Fly By Night through Moving Pictures right here and now! (Much more wishful thinking there.) But yeah, that's just me. :)

I don't think there is any harm in letting Rush know(facebook,twitter,backstage site), it would be nice to have another option to get the bluray only.
I hope some others will chime in, its not complaining its just letting them know it would be nice to have a bluray only option or a scaled down option of boxset minus the LP's.
They did a LP only for this release at $90 so they have thought of those fans.

We did win on the first Alan Parsons as they added a bluray only option.

I tried here:

https://www.facebook.com/rushbackstageclub

At $150 a pop, I would preorder ANY and EVERY Rush album mixed in 5.1 by Steven Wilson. No hesitation. This is a dream come true.

No, you're right. I'll still pick up FBN thru MP even for $150 a pop. (My interest stops after MP unfortunately.)

This IS a dream come true!

Would it be too much of a dream to ask if they'll let Steve Wilson mix that St Louis show from 1980?
(I don't even need to mention how this show has definitive performances of every last track right?)

...I have even less interest in splitting up a box to try and to sell the bits I don't want...

I'm with you.
But in a recent example I decided life's too short, and bought the super-deluxe ELP for the surround and catalog CDs.
And, I admit, I also appreciate a few sets with medium Tull size or even 12" Fanfare sized books.

Once I decided to sell the vinyl, it was gone in an hour and I recovered a third of my outlay.

There's 3rd party seller on amazon listing an opened complete Sgt Pepper, then one missing the blu-ray for $15 less. :rolleyes:

Originally Posted by quadanasaziland
So do I hold out for the BD,or hope for a price drop or bite the bullet so I get it before it's OOP.

Yes.

LOL that helps!

Dancing bananas please! Where is Snood? If I am dreaming now, please don't wake me...

I don't think there is any harm in letting Rush know(facebook,twitter,backstage site), it would be nice to have another option to get the bluray only.
I hope some others will chime in, its not complaining its just letting them know it would be nice to have a bluray only option or a scaled down option of boxset minus the LP's.
They did a LP only for this release at $90 so they have thought of those fans.

We did win on the first Alan Parsons as they added a bluray only option.

I tried here:

https://www.facebook.com/rushbackstageclub

No harm at all making that request...in fact you are the perfect person to make such a request...because your birthday fell on Friday the 13th and you are still here with us...things seem to be going your way(y)..btw...belated birthday wishes(I was afraid to offer on Friday the 13th....just saying)..

Obviously there are a lot of hard core Rush fans here and I totally get that, hell if an SW surround mix of an Ozric Tentacles album came about I'd pay $150, no issue whatsoever! :D

But, I'm not a huge Rush fan. I've seen them live and like some of their stuff enough that I'd certainly take a punt on this at the right price. I have a bit of an issue with the marketing, by all means do lavish $150 box sets for the fans and include the 5.1 but do something useful like get the band to sign each box or something, that would add far more value for every Rush fan and sell your boxes. Make the actual music accessible to everyone as there are people who want to buy it but can't!

So right after Sector sets came out, I, through my job as a CT Tech met Alex Lifeson. I told him about QQ and talked quad and surround with him. He gave me his cell# and we talked several times for hours sometimes. He didn't even know that Snakes and Arrows and the Sectors sets were in 5.1, he's a stereo guy. He asked what I thought of them I said that to my ears the Sector sets were too compressed, that the bass was muddy to me. I said we were DAMN glad to have them but I had hoped they would have been better sounding in highrez. He then started talking about a sound board that he loved back in the 70's called a Gamble Blue, he loved the analog sound and that he missed that sound. He asked if I could find him one that he wanted to put it in his home studio in Williams Arizona, a home he just bought. I have fished the great trout lakes in that area and told him that he should try them. He invited me to come up with my trout boat and show him how to fish them.
So I did find him a Gamble Blue board in a travel case at a sound company in San Fran that was willing to part with it. Gave him the contact and then like a typical celeb never heard from him again, never a thanks. I was ok with it as he and Rush have given me thousands of hours of prog heaven.

Ya but here we go again I just want the BD, $149:yikes

So do I hold out for the BD,or hope for a price drop or bite the bullet so I get it before it's OOP.

So now I wonder if what I said about the Sectors sets stuck and now we have this or if the record co. is just cashing in. Does he even know about this release as he did not know about the other MC releases?

The news today about this new SW 5.1 mix is both amazing and cruel at the same time, amazing because this is something we have wanted for many years and cruel because of the price.
I could be wrong but I certainly don’t think we have any chance of a single Blu-Ray release. It seems like Universal jumped off that train after the release of “Tales of Mystery and Imagination” last year.
However I like the idea of seeing if Rush’s online store can put together a 3CD/Blu-Ray bundle (without the vinyl and other things)
I would definitely buy that kind of configuration in a heartbeat!

[emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back