Rush - A Farewell to Kings 40th anniversary box set (Steven Wilson 5.1 mix included)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ahhh, the same old absolutist decrees I've seen for the last 22+ years on the Internet.
I sincerely thought it would have gotten old by now but I guess it's new to some.
Bitching about boxset prices\content in nearly as old but still futile all the same.

Not a big enough fan of Rush to be a catalog guy but Steve Wilson redoing these or anything else is always great news.
To me Rush is like Van Halen, most of their stuff does nothing for me but certain songs are killer.
Since there's no other Beatles sets out in the near future I may just buy this set to see whats what.
It's called taking one for the team and I'm in no way saying anyone should do this. I probably shouldn't either.
Perhaps our investment will yield a SW Permanent Waves.

Ahhh, the same old absolutist decrees I've seen for the last 22+ years on the Internet.
I sincerely thought it would have gotten old by now but I guess it's new to some.
Bitching about boxset prices\content in nearly as old but still futile all the same.

Not a big enough fan of Rush to be a catalog guy but Steve Wilson redoing these or anything else is always great news.
To me Rush is like Van Halen, most of their stuff does nothing for me but certain songs are killer.
Since there's no other Beatles sets out in the near future I may just buy this set to see whats what.
It's called taking one for the team and I'm in no way saying anyone should do this. I probably shouldn't either.
Perhaps our investment will yield a SW Permanent Waves.

Com'on, Milt, kvetching on the worldwide net has always been a hallmark of anonymous posting and ragging on the contents of pricey boxsets [with a 5.1 BD~A] is a relatively recent phenomenon. But on this 'auspicious' occasion, Farewell to Kings has already had one mini boxset [with a crappy 5.1 mix], a nice BD~A with better sonics and NOW, a much coveted Steve Wilson 5.1 BD~A with the stipulation that you REALLY want the RBCDs and 4 LPs and classy book which accompany this boxset.

As a casual Rush fan, myself, NO thank you to the box but YES, PRETTY PLEASE for a stand alone SW BD~A mix which is a small consolation for those overzealous RUSH fans who already sprung for the mini DVD~A 5.1 boxset AND the BD~A....roughly an $80+ investment in itself.:yikes

It's ONLY fair! :banana:

Eventually, with Game of Thrones Ending, for that same $150 you'll probably be able to procure the entire HBO series on UHD 4K for $150.........and talk about a real Farewell to Kings! :cool:

...Farewell to Kings has already had one mini boxset [with a crappy 5.1 mix], a nice BD~A with better sonics...
If the existing DVD-A and BD sound different on your system, I think that may be down to decoder implementation differences. As far as I know, the mix is identical and so is the mastering.

If the existing DVD-A and BD sound different on your system, I think that may be down to decoder implementation differences. As far as I know, the mix is identical and so is the mastering.

Truth be told, I never owned the DVD~A 5.1 boxset and was under the impression that the BD~A was an improved remix/remastering. Guess I was wrong. Thanks for pointing that out.

Truth be told, I never owned the DVD~A 5.1 boxset and was under the impression that the BD~A was an improved remix/remastering. Guess I was wrong. Thanks for pointing that out.
The three Rush standalone BDs (Fly By Night, A Farewell To Kings, and Signals) are reauthored, repackaged versions of the Sectors DVD-As with no sonic changes, unless I'm very mistaken.

I can’t stand it anymore, this thread is driving me crazy, should I or shouldn’t I. My friend who is a record collector is splitting the box with me. I get the BD, and the CD’s, he rips the CD’s, he gets the records. We will work out the package, one gets it, one takes pictures. The ring is the problem. Well at least I am going to get to listen to this December 1st release.

I can’t stand it anymore, this thread is driving me crazy, should I or shouldn’t I. My friend who is a record collector is splitting the box with me. I get the BD, and the CD’s, he rips the CD’s, he gets the records. We will work out the package, one gets it, one takes pictures. The ring is the problem. Well at least I am going to get to listen to this December 1st release.

Now, thats a win/win, wish I had a record collector friend I could split this box with, then it would be a order for sure.
For now, going to see what happens with pricing and what I can afford as there is alot of stuff to choose from again this oct-dec selling period for this money draining hobby.

Now, thats a win/win, wish I had a record collector friend I could split this box with, then it would be a order for sure.
For now, going to see what happens with pricing and what I can afford as there is alot of stuff to choose from again this oct-dec selling period for this money draining hobby.

That's a good deal...for sure...I wonder if some members on the forum couldn't work out similar arrangements...we must have some vinyl lovers on here...maybe somebody over at SHF.... as most don't care about surround music at that forum.....it wouldn't hurt to put out some inquiries...

That's a good deal...for sure...I wonder if some members on the forum couldn't work out similar arrangements...we must have some vinyl lovers on here...maybe somebody over at SHF.... as most don't care about surround music at that forum.....it wouldn't hurt to put out some inquiries...

I was thinking the same thing, put a fishing line out at SH site to see if anyone is interested in splitting up the box.

peter

Well this may make the pill a little easier to swallow for some, Import CDs' price is 108.99. (Deep Discount now has it listed as well for $130.26. Not as good, but at this time of year they regularly run sales like the 15% off everything they just had. One of these sales may make their price competitive.)

Import CDs doesn't do free shipping and I don't think Deep Discount's free shipping applies to large sets like this so you'll have to factor that in (and perhaps sales tax depending on where you live.) Bull Moose's price is $129.97 w/free shipping an no sales tax unless you live in Maine or New Hampshire. I also wouldn't be surprised to see price drops at Amazon & Amazon UK.

Well this may make the pill a little easier to swallow for some, Import CDs' price is 108.99. (Deep Discount now has it listed as well for $130.26. Not as good, but at this time of year they regularly run sales like the 15% off everything they just had. One of these sales may make their price competitive.)

Import CDs doesn't do free shipping and I don't think Deep Discount's free shipping applies to large sets like this so you'll have to factor that in (and perhaps sales tax depending on where you live.) Bull Moose's price is $129.97 w/free shipping an no sales tax unless you live in Maine or New Hampshire. I also wouldn't be surprised to see price drops at Amazon & Amazon UK.

So, just to see what the price would be for me - I went to ImportCD and ran it to checkout, selected standard shipping. Total for me would be $118.98
I dunno - I may just go ahead and keep my Moose order. :) I'm a little spooked with Import right now since I had ordered Bruford weeks ago and just recently the title went missing. So, not sure about their ability to secure allotments....but who knows...I sure don't.

So, just to see what the price would be for me - I went to ImportCD and ran it to checkout, selected standard shipping. Total for me would be $118.98
I dunno - I may just go ahead and keep my Moose order. :) I'm a little spooked with Import right now since I had ordered Bruford weeks ago and just recently the title went missing. So, not sure about their ability to secure allotments....but who knows...I sure don't.

Personally, for ~$10 difference I would stick with the Moose. IIRC, ImportCD sometimes ships late and causes some other kinds of chagrin. I'm not trying to slag them though and if anybody has positive testimonials, have at it. I've never had issues with the Moose though.

Personally, for ~$10 difference I would stick with the Moose. IIRC, ImportCD sometimes ships late and causes some other kinds of chagrin. I'm not trying to slag them though and if anybody has positive testimonials, have at it. I've never had issues with the Moose though.

Another positive thing about the Moose is that you gain "points" toward future purchases...I'm leaning toward the Moose right now...

Mine came to $118.70 at importcds...BUT...there could be additional shipping fees due to the size and weight of the item....plus the Moose is pretty easy to track...not always the case with importcds....

Mine came to $118.70 at importcds...BUT...there could be additional shipping fees due to the size and weight of the item....plus the Moose is pretty easy to track...not always the case with importcds....

Totally. I think I spent a couple extra dollars with the Moose to get some faster arrival. :) Water under the bridge now....I'm good with it. I will sleep well tonight. :smokin

This sounds more like a divorce settlement......so, who gets the kids?:yikes

But on a more 'serious note' don't discount Black Friday when Amazon blows out a lot of goodies for [sometimes] pennies on the dollar. :banana:

Sorry to dash your hopes Ralphie....BUT...I must....this box set won't be any Black Friday bargain...the release date is Dec 1st...Black Friday is Nov 24th...and cyber Monday is also too early for this box set....

Sorry to dash your hopes Ralphie....BUT...I must....this box set won't be any Black Friday bargain...the release date is Dec 1st...Black Friday is Nov 24th...and cyber Monday is also too early for this box set....

Ah, shucks, Clint, you just Unmade my day!

So much for the Xmas RUSH!

Any post that is NOT directly related to RUSH and "A Farewell to Kings" will be moved and/or deleted.

After that, can we please get back on topic?

Back