Rush - A Farewell to Kings 40th anniversary box set (Steven Wilson 5.1 mix included)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pepper is another one where I prefer the stereo mix to the surround, and am not at all happy about it.
Which one: the original '67 stereo mix, or the 2017 remix? I find it very hard to listen to the new stereo mix, being extremely accustomed to the '67 on first-run CD. That, and I'm disappointed by the lower DR.

Which one: the original '67 stereo mix, or the 2017 remix? I find it very hard to listen to the new stereo mix, being extremely accustomed to the '67 on first-run CD. That, and I'm disappointed by the lower DR.

I love the 2017, other than the "sped up" (or more accurately, not slowed down) She's Leaving Home.

But I didn't mean to take this thread down that rabbit hole.

Prepared to be bullied by one member here for posting that.

It is not odd to prefer a stereo mix (or mono) when the surround mix of an album sucks.
As surround enthusiasts, we are not beholden to prefer surround for any given album. The surround mix needs to be worthy in its own right.
An example, for me, is the 2006 5.1 mix of Katatonia's The Great Cold Distance. I vastly preferred the stereo mix. Gladly, I now prefer the 2016 5.1 remix.

Of the hundreds of 5.1 disc's in various formats I own,I have never listened to the stereo tracks,and I never will.:smokin
If I don't like a 5.1 mix,it's more than often because of the music.If I don't like the music no mix can save it.:rolleyes:

Of the hundreds of 5.1 disc's in various formats I own,I have never listened to the stereo tracks,and I never will.:smokin
If I don't like a 5.1 mix,it's more than often because of the music.If I don't like the music no mix can save it.:rolleyes:

Wow. I've heard lots of music that I love mixed in 5.1 in a way that was disappointing to me. I'll likely never listen to the "Rumours" DVD-A again, but the vinyl will still happily spin in my house (for just one example).

I'm with you on that, I can't think of a 5.1 disc I've listened to the stereo of deliberately, and as the Doobies said listen to the music...:music

Wow. I've heard lots of music that I love mixed in 5.1 in a way that was disappointing to me. I'll likely never listen to the "Rumours" DVD-A again, but the vinyl will still happily spin in my house (for just one example).

The "Rumours" DVD-A is one of my favorites both musically and mix/fidelity.:mad:@:

That is a lesson I learned on here...I kept buying the progressive discs mixed by Steven Wilson...and even though they sounded awesome..the content just doesn't do it for me...content is king for me...and the surround is just a bonus..I don't need any more "demo" discs that collect dust because I don't play them(also because I'm single and don't dust)..the only person I need to impress these days is myself...been there done that with the friends coming over routine...

That is a lesson I learned on here...I kept buying the progressive discs mixed by Steven Wilson...and even though they sounded awesome..the content just doesn't do it for me...content is king for me...and the surround is just a bonus..I don't need any more "demo" discs that collect dust because I don't play them(also because I'm single and don't dust)..the only person I need to impress these days is myself...been there done that with the friends coming over routine...

I'm single too, Clint, and I do dust [but don't look too closely] but agree that a lot of the current surround music is usually a one shot listen as I find myself listening more to RBCDs that I find much more accessible AND AGREEABLE and I also watch tons of videos/Netflix which you DON'T and unlike most, love foreign films with subtitles [and subtext :banana:].

This was just posted on RUSH's official Facebook page:
View attachment 31725

THIS is why I'm glad QQ is continuing! :)
I'm finally getting the chance to play the surround mix of this now. I'm truly blown away right now. Mister Wilson has done it again! Now, is the Bluray supposed to include a stereo remix of the album too or is it only the remaster by Sean Magee (which is amazing, btw)?

Sent from my HTC 2PZC100 using Tapatalk

I'm finally getting the chance to play the surround mix of this now. I'm truly blown away right now. Mister Wilson has done it again! Now, is the Bluray supposed to include a stereo remix of the album too or is it only the remaster by Sean Magee (which is amazing, btw)?

Sent from my HTC 2PZC100 using Tapatalk

Steven Wilson did not remix the album in stereo, so the stereo mix on the Blu-Ray is the original mix.

:)

Well...I thought it would be time to revisit the Rush Box Set...this thread started in October...it started out at close to $150...then around $129(the moose)...many have decided to sit this one out and wait...and with 4 LPs and the price..I can understand...so I have been watching the price of this set waiting for some warehouse specials to show up...it's been 3 months since the release(DEC 1..or 1 DEC for the Brits)and there are some warehouse specials now...but sadly not a big reduction in price..again...I feel these 4 LPs are dragging this box set down...so now for the warehouse specials we have..I've never seen this many categories at one time...you have the "good" condition sets at $97.88....the "very good" at $101.14....the "like new" at $103.31...and the "new"..at $109.59

I'm going to guess that they had a lot of these sets returned...not because of the great Steven Wilson surround mix...but the LPs...I have seen complaints about the vinyl...and IIRC Gos had some issues with them...so if you just wanted the blu ray and didn't care about the cosmetic nature of the boxes or using the vinyl...go for the lowest grade(worst condition) at $97.88.. you do care about the box condition and all items...then go for the "like new" at $103.31...because it's not going to be any different than the "new" one at $6.00 more...I say this because several members have gotten the "like new" boxes and they were in fact brand new...and I just picked up another copy of Sgt Peppers when the price had dropped a while ago and it's brand new in the shrink wrap...

For those that just want the blu ray...there might be a chance to get it lower than the current lowest price of 97.88 and a "good" rating...but it will require waiting to see how these sales unfold...my guess is very few will buy the "good" sets because for less than $6 more they can get a "like new" set...and with amazon's philosophy of getting things cleared out...it's worth the wait...I will of course be watching..and if there is any real movement...I will post it...

Here are the present options

Well...I thought it would be time to revisit the Rush Box Set...this thread started in October...it started out at close to $150...then around $129(the moose)...many have decided to sit this one out and wait...and with 4 LPs and the price..I can understand...so I have been watching the price of this set waiting for some warehouse specials to show up...it's been 3 months since the release(DEC 1..or 1 DEC for the Brits)and there are some warehouse specials now...but sadly not a big reduction in price..again...I feel these 4 LPs are dragging this box set down...so now for the warehouse specials we have..I've never seen this many categories at one time...you have the "good" condition sets at $97.88....the "very good" at $101.14....the "like new" at $103.31...and the "new"..at $109.59

I'm going to guess that they had a lot of these sets returned...not because of the great Steven Wilson surround mix...but the LPs...I have seen complaints about the vinyl...and IIRC Gos had some issues with them...so if you just wanted the blu ray and didn't care about the cosmetic nature of the boxes or using the vinyl...go for the lowest grade(worst condition) at $97.88.. you do care about the box condition and all items...then go for the "like new" at $103.31...because it's not going to be any different than the "new" one at $6.00 more...I say this because several members have gotten the "like new" boxes and they were in fact brand new...and I just picked up another copy of Sgt Peppers when the price had dropped a while ago and it's brand new in the shrink wrap...

For those that just want the blu ray...there might be a chance to get it lower than the current lowest price of 97.88 and a "good" rating...but it will require waiting to see how these sales unfold...my guess is very few will buy the "good" sets because for less than $6 more they can get a "like new" set...and with amazon's philosophy of getting things cleared out...it's worth the wait...I will of course be watching..and if there is any real movement...I will post it...

Here are the present options

Thanks for all those price reduction updates, Clint, but after careful consideration I'll pass on this since ALL I REALLY WANT is the SW BD~A remix. Why they keep shoving vinyl into these box sets, especially POORLY PRESSED vinyl is ridiculous.:yikes

As newbie Dolby Atmos recipient GOS would LOUDLY proclaim: "Those Bastages!"

Last edited:
Thanks for all those price reduction updates, Clint, but after careful consideration I'll pass on this since ALL I REALLY WANT is the SW BD~A remix. Why they keep shoving vinyl into these box sets, especially POORLY PRESSED vinyl is ridiculous.:yikes

As newbie Dolby Atmos recipient GOS would LOUDLY proclaim: "Those Bastages!"

For months I passed on this release for three reasons. 1) I already have the original BR, 2) I’m not a huge Rush fan, and 3) I don’t need vinyl.

As prices dropped and the positive QQ reviews rolled in, I changed my mind. Very glad I did. The sound quality and mix are heads and shoulders above the original BR.

Now I’m a Rush fan. (y)(y)(y)

In March I posted some prices from amazon warehouse specials...which has been a great way to buy some of these releases if you are looking for a major price reduction...IMO this surround version easily tops the previous blu ray audio...it's the best possible version of this album....easily....because of the price and those 4 LPs...this box set lost a lot of the potential customers...although not cheap...when you do consider all that you get with this set and the quality of the surround mix...I think this present warehouse price isn't bad....right now the "like new"price is $87.55.....now with the free shipping...and if you are lucky enough to be in one of those states that doesn't get charged tax by amazon...I think some would find this tolerable......of the warehouse choices...you want the 3rd choice...the "like new" one for $87.55 HERE

Just ordered. I have no restraint. $93.24 shipped. This is one expensive blu-ray. Good god this has been an expensive week, trying to catch up on so many things I've missed... Marillion, Songs from the Wood, now this, I still need to place a pre-order on that Mansun set, and I don't even have JT's Heavy Horses yet!

I think you will be happy with the surround...it looks like a lot of people took advantage of the "like new" warehouse deal on amazon...they are out of them right now..

Back