Rush - A Farewell to Kings 40th anniversary box set (Steven Wilson 5.1 mix included)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

privateuniverse

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
Looking at the list of releases for this year's Record Store Day, I see a 7" single listed for "Closer to the Heart." In the description of the single it says that it "is to be timed with the 40th anniversary of A Farewell to Kings box set re-issue." No other info is given.

Looking at the list of releases for this year's Record Store Day, I see a 7" single listed for "Closer to the Heart." In the description of the single it says that it "is to be timed with the 40th anniversary of A Farewell to Kings box set re-issue." No other info is given.

I could be wrong, but if the "2112" reissue from last year is any indication, surround sound probably will not be a part of this upcoming reissue, which is fine by me. We already have the DVDA-V release from the Sector 2 box set and the Blu-Ray released in 2015.
However, maybe this means we'll get a box set reissue of "Hemispheres" next year!

:)

I could be wrong, but if the "2112" reissue from last year is any indication, surround sound probably will not be a part of this upcoming reissue, which is fine by me. We already have the DVDA-V release from the Sector 2 box set and the Blu-Ray released in 2015.
However, maybe this means we'll get a box set reissue of "Hemispheres" next year!

And for the love of all that is pure and holy, PERMANENT WAVES PLEASE!!! (y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)

3 CDs? Hmmm... Do they have anything in the vault with which to hook us?

There was the FtK show they released as disc 3 of Different Stages. But... that's released.
There aren't many FtK live boots and none are great. So, little chance they'll legitimize one.
They could mean 3 discs. 1CD, 1DVD-A, 1BD-A? :D:confused:;):mad:@:;):confused::D

This could be a bonus track:
[video=youtube;DDRPtg0kmJU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDRPtg0kmJU[/video]

If the "2112" reissue from last year is any indication, maybe they got some other artists to re-record tracks from the original album.
Other than that possibility, it's probably some live stuff (either unreleased or previously released) from over the years.
RUSH are not the kind of band to release studio outtakes so we can probably rule out that possibility.

Regardless, it seems like I will probably stick with my DVDA-V and Blu-ray Discs that I already have.

A plausible, painless package for them:

1 CD - Studio album, probably the Van Dette remaster - plus or minus some kind of bonus tracks, like covers from other artists
2 CD - FtK show from Different Stages, which is OOP, afterall - plus or minus some kind of bonus tracks, like covers from other artists
3 DVD - 5.1 mix, as previously released on DVD-A and BD-A, possibly in DVD-V DTS :mad:@: - "live in studio" promo videos from Chronicles - Closer to the Heart "live in studio" with Bubbles and that guy from the Barenakedladies from R30 Deluxe

If DS disc 3 was already the best FtK show in the vault (and it's not that good - Ged had a cold), I doubt we'll see yet another show appear.

**As for Hemispheres, there are also "live in studio" promo videos they can reissue, as well as live from Pink Pop Festival, maybe. And for Permanent Waves there is the AWESOME SAUCE show from St. Louis that is probably the best performance of their entire career. That show is bat-shit amazing. It was officially recorded and pressed by Anthem records, but only sent to radio stations to promote their tour, never released commercially.**

1 CD - Studio album, probably the Van Dette remaster - plus or minus some kind of bonus tracks, like covers from other artists
On the 2112 40th, they used the Sean Magee master. I believe Sean himself created the CD production master from his hi res master as used for the vinyl. He claimed that it was sonically identical to the hi res, but it doesn't score as high on the DR meter.

A plausible, painless package for them:

2 CD - FtK show from Different Stages, which is OOP, afterall - plus or minus some kind of bonus tracks, like covers from other artists
3 DVD - 5.1 mix, as previously released on DVD-A and BD-A, possibly in DVD-V DTS :mad:@: - "live in studio" promo videos from Chronicles - Closer to the Heart "live in studio" with Bubbles and that guy from the Barenakedladies from R30 Deluxe

If DS disc 3 was already the best FtK show in the vault (and it's not that good - Ged had a cold), I doubt we'll see yet another show appear.

**As for Hemispheres, there are also "live in studio" promo videos they can reissue, as well as live from Pink Pop Festival, maybe. And for Permanent Waves there is the AWESOME SAUCE show from St. Louis that is probably the best performance of their entire career. That show is bat-shit amazing. It was officially recorded and pressed by Anthem records, but only sent to radio stations to promote their tour, never released commercially.**

Except that I don't think that the 3rd disc of this set is a DVD. It does say 3 CDs. Now amazon are wrong sometimes, but until we know for sure, I think it is 3 CDs, 1 Blu-Ray, and vinyl.

So amazon's introductory price for this box set is $149.98 which makes it a definite no-buy for me.
If the Blu-Ray in the box set is exactly the same as the one released in 2015, then most forum members would be better off going with the original Blu-Ray release, which can still be purchased here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00QR7ZLYA/

So amazon's introductory price for this box set is $149.98 which makes it a definite no-buy for me.
If the Blu-Ray in the box set is exactly the same as the one released in 2015, then most forum members would be better off going with the original Blu-Ray release, which can still be purchased here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00QR7ZLYA/

Or the Sector 2 boxset, which includes the dvda 5.1

https://www.amazon.com/Sector-2-Rus...&qid=1508417906&sr=8-1&keywords=rush+sector+2

Back