Jethro Tull - "Heavy Horses" (New Shoes Edition) to be released in February 2018!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I may digress: why? Starting with the day gives the least-pinpointing piece of information first. Starting with the month at least points the mental calendar to the correct general vicinity.

It's logical captain! Well, obviously that's how I was taught in the UK from an early age so there's that, I assumed it was more of an order thing. If you look at it as units from smallest to largest and we start with seconds for sake of argument it would be seconds / minutes / hours / days / months / years etc. I think generally the day is the most significant piece of information (unless you are looking at pre-orders!) on a day to day basis, most of us know what year and month it is ;)

With time, the order is the other way around, on a digital clock at least it is always shown in hours / minutes / seconds, would you change that to minutes / seconds / hours or hours / seconds / minutes? No, because that would be weird!

The actual reasons are here...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calendar_date

But, according to this the US is starting to adopt the day / month / year style for certain things like dates on food and new passports etc so there is hope for you yet! :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Date_and_time_notation_in_the_United_States

Sid Smith was checking out the 5.1 DVD today:
5650bfe71396b56bd63faeefbcd56aa8.jpg

:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

http://www.nationalrockreview.com/a...shoes-edition-anniversary-edition-jethro-tull
National Rock Review
Heavy Horses (New Shoes Edition Anniversary Edition) by Jethro Tull
Paul Davies
14-Feb-2018
Album Reviews, Rock, UK
Heavy Horses provided the meaty filling in an inspired trifecta of folk-rock releases by Jethro Tull upon its original release in 1978.

Being the middle album of a unique folk rock trilogy, which began with the woodland folklore of Songs From the Wood and bookended by the spooky pagan elements of Stormwatch, it galloped into the Top 20 on both sides of the Atlantic. It still remains an essential ploughman’s lunch of collected songs, if you will, about rural folk-tales and earthy, countryside customs. Curiously, with songs inspired by Anderson’s farmyard, domestic animal arrangements. It’s also the album that spawned the live release Bursting Out.

Talking of which, this “new shoes” release ploughs a deep furrow by digging up and unearthing a complete live recording of the Berne concert from the 1978 Heavy Horses tour. Essentially, the unexpurgated concert from which the studio ‘sweetened’ Bursting Out emerged. Jakko Jakszyk has polished up and honed a superb show from a band playing at the zenith of their mighty collected powers. The clarity of David Palmer’s and John Evan’s organs tussling with the intricacies of rocked up, classical medieval musical tapestries, amid the full powered superbly played bedrock of Barre, Glascock and Barlow’s amped up attack, is what made this line up so special. The cerebral and the visceral colluding together to create musical magic and all wittily led by the irrepressible, impresario and frontman extraordinaire Ian Anderson.

What Steven Wilson has achieved, as he is want to do, is to raise and separate the individual recorded parts so that they seemingly float apart and twine together as though individually buffed with a twist of musical gel. The double tracking of vocals on “The Mouse Police Never Sleeps” – a song about Anderson’s then cat keeping farmyard vermin at bay – and on “Journeyman” shine through where once they murkily dwelled in the deep ruts and grooves of the original vinyl recording. The same is true of Martin Barre’s double tracking of guitar on stand out ditties “No Lullaby” and the titular “Heavy Horses”. Wilson’s detectorist tendencies unearth the recorded gems lying just beneath the surface of these original recordings.

Furthermore, the collection of additional songs deemed surplus to the albums mindset are a treasure trove of dusted down beauties. For Tull collectors, the inclusion of earlier, unreleased takes on the still relevant and topical “Living In These Hard Times”, a belting “Beltane” and the aching love song to his wife Shona that is Jack A Lynn – her middle name being Jacqueline – would have fitted in nicely if vinyl timings allowed. Elsewhere, there are the curios of “Botanical Man” a musical exercise in TV programme theme writing between Anderson and Palmer for a then David Bellamy series.

A further two DVD’s bringing all the before into 5.1 surround sound, with contemporary videos and adverts patched in, are the thick icing on a cake for the listener to skate away on. As the latest Tull/Steven Wilson box set given the bells, whistles and flutes this is a masterpiece worthy of the venerable Heavy Horses themselves.

“Bring me a wheel of oaken wood. A rein of polished leather. A Heavy Horse and a trembling sky. Brewing heavy weather”. Indeed!

Jethro Tull Heavy Horses New Shoes Edition Anniversary edition features:
3 CDs and 2 DVDs of studio and live recordings.
Extensive notes about the writing, recording and touring of the album.
Track by track annotation by Ian Anderson.
Lyrics for the album plus bonus tracks.
Interviews with musicians Maddy Prior, Daryl Way and studio engineer Colin Leggett.
Chrysalis Records.

Words: Paul Davies

26220823_1974193079264099_1571198555235104798_o.jpg

Interviews with musicians Maddy Prior, Daryl Way and studio engineer Colin Leggett.
Chrysalis Records.

Words: Paul Davies

! Maddy Prior of Steeleye Span! Had a chance to talk with her at the Great American Music Hall in San Francisco when she did a solo show in the 90s (literally -- a capella the entire time!!!). What a wonderful lady. She autographed my hand-out and it is either stashed away somewhere or I lost it. Will be great to hear / see her! She's a nobleman's daughter not afraid to mention the word "fart" -- you'd had to be there.

And Daryl Way -- the violinist with the great, great Curved Air. I have a SACD of their album with Eddie Jobson, but would love a hi-rez (and multi, of course) version of their first two albums.

All in all, an interesting pair to comment on this album!

Last edited:
After not selling the last box set “Songs From The Wood” JB HiFi in Australia have decided to sell the Heavy Horses box for $110 !
JB you have done it again!
It seems they are deliberately sabotaging their ability to sell CDs/DVDs
Their executives also decided the Doors concert at The Isle Of Wight was not worth selling.

D7CDE567-6BB2-4E6A-8FB5-F834992E5EBA.jpg

:yikes that's a crazy mark-up, around double the UK price. I thought things were bad enough here, where if you see an album for US$50 in the USA its sells for £50 here in the UK. Edit: Might explain why my cousins in Australia don't buy CDs anymore.

After not selling the last box set “Songs From The Wood” JB HiFi in Australia have decided to sell the Heavy Horses box for $110 !
JB you have done it again!
It seems they are deliberately sabotaging their ability to sell CDs/DVDs
Their executives also decided the Doors concert at The Isle Of Wight was not worth selling.

View attachment 32202

I posted the other day in the SALES thread that with US Company Deep Discount's 15% off sale [now expired] Heavy Horses [the New Shoes Edition] was $33.96 US w/free shipping in the states! https://www.deepdiscount.com/jethro-tull-heavy-horses-new-shoes-edition/190295757915

Deep Discount didn't ship the last thing I ordered from them. They kept saying that they did, but the order number was never recognized by their system. I got a refund because I paid with PayPal, but they dragged it out for months. I won't deal with them again. It isn't a deal if they never ship the item.

Deep Discount didn't ship the last thing I ordered from them. They kept saying that they did, but the order number was never recognized by their system. I got a refund because I paid with PayPal, but they dragged it out for months. I won't deal with them again. It isn't a deal if they never ship the item.

I just ordered five items the other day during their sale [2 hybrid mch SACDs, 2 BD~Vs and 1 RBCD] and they shipped them out yesterday. However, I do have an item from their sister company, ImportCD [Moody Blues Days of Future Passed 2 RBCD/1DVD 5.1] which I ordered in November which I have yet to receive.

On the whole, I never had a problem with Deep Discount. I also have ordered items from AmazonUK which were NEVER shipped out.

I just ordered five items the other day during their sale [2 hybrid mch SACDs, 2 BD~Vs and 1 RBCD] and they shipped them out yesterday. However, I do have an item from their sister company, ImportCD [Moody Blues Days of Future Passed 2 RBCD/1DVD 5.1] which I ordered in November which I have yet to receive.

On the whole, I never had a problem with Deep Discount. I also have ordered items from AmazonUK which were NEVER shipped out.

I didn't realize that ImportCD was a sister company. I have had very good luck with them. They have Heavy Horses on for a decent price too ...

https://www.importcds.com/jethro-tull-heavy-horses-new-shoes-edition/190295757915

I usually order from them through Amazon.ca though, because the price is in Loonies and the shipping cost is less.

I didn't realize that ImportCD was a sister company. I have had very good luck with them. They have Heavy Horses on for a decent price too ...

https://www.importcds.com/jethro-tull-heavy-horses-new-shoes-edition/190295757915

That IS an excellent price and on the whole, except for that one item, ImportCD has always come through for me. I'm sure in this day and age, there will always be those snafus with ALL companies due to distribution issues so long as those items are NOT charged to your credit card unless you do receive them.

The price on Amazon.com has finally dropped below $40 to $36.49. Of course, this happened right after I ordered it from Burning Shed at a higher price... But at least the Shed is a worthy business.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I usually order from them through Amazon.ca though, because the price is in Loonies and the shipping cost is less.

That ImportsCDs price makes me wish I pre-orderd from Amazon.ca when the price was still $48.79 instead of the $63.10 it is now

GOS 3.0 had been dragging his feet on this one....then I came to the conclusion I would kick myself later if I didn't get this.....and....I had points at Bullmoose...which I applied and it knocked the price down to $18.56 shipped. :)

GOS 3.0 had been dragging his feet on this one....then I came to the conclusion I would kick myself later if I didn't get this.....and....I had points at Bullmoose...which I applied and it knocked the price down to $18.56 shipped. :)

I think we will all greatly enjoy this release!
It’s one of the better Tull records from the 1970s IMHO, and we basically get about another album’s worth of extra material and a full live concert in surround sound, so I’m definitely looking forward to letting these horses run wild in March!

:)

Maybe in a year, like the Aqualung Tull Boxset, Deep Discount will blow out Heavy Horses for $20 [the Aqualung Boxset was REDUCED to $28 + extra shipping charges if you recall].:yikes
That was a great deal on the Aqualung box set at Deep Discount! I was lucky to get a copy before they sold out.

I'd be hesitant to wait buying the Heavy Horses set hoping for a similar deal. I doubt the set will sell out quickly but one never knows. The fact that the TAAB deluxe set sold out and is no longer available is a good example. I was lucky to get the TAAB deluxe set with the corrected DVD for $30 last year. I'll be getting the Heavy Horses set from Bull Moose when it's available. Don't want to wait and have it go OOP then have to pay big bucks to get a copy.

Heavy Horses set is available at importcds for $32.71 plus shipping.

https://www.importcds.com/heavy-horses-new-shoes-edition/190295757915

Back