Weather Report's "Tale Spinnin" on SQ Encoded CD?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

humprof

Junior Senior
QQ Supporter
Mods, go ahead and smack me down if it's not kosher to discuss such things here, but I came across a transfer of Tale Spinnin' that claims to be sourced from an "SQ CD." Can anyone shed any light on this? It sounds pretty convincing, though I don't have an SQLP (or a transfer of an SQLP) to compare it against.

I know that many (most?) early Impulse! CD reissues of old QS titles came with their quad encoding intact; ditto for the Black Jazz label. But I've never heard of anything like this with respect to Columbia's--or anyone else's--SQ titles...

There are some SQ encoded CDs available like the Annie Original Cast Album and Chase.
And they produce some good results with an SQ matrix decoder like the Surround Master in my experience.

Mods, go ahead and smack me down if it's not kosher to discuss such things here, but I came across a transfer of Tale Spinnin' that claims to be sourced from an "SQ CD." Can anyone shed any light on this? It sounds pretty convincing, though I don't have an SQLP (or a transfer of an SQLP) to compare it against.

I know that many (most?) early Impulse! CD reissues of old QS titles came with their quad encoding intact; ditto for the Black Jazz label. But I've never heard of anything like this with respect to Columbia's--or anyone else's--SQ titles...

i can help you out with a comparison to the SQ LP,
PM anytime :)

I have the first CD release of 'Rite of Spring' by Zubin Mehta with the New York Philharmonic. Later remasters lost the encoding, but the SQ is intact on it, and the mix is to die for - absolutely incredible. I love "hidden" quad on CD!

ps. i have since had a chance to sample this MCh mix derived from a Tale Spinnin' CD and its v.different from how the SQ LP pans out when decoded, so unfortunately i don't believe this particular MCh presentation is from an SQ-encoded CD, I don't think it's the same mix as the SQ at all tbh. oh well.. maybe the heroes at Dutton Vocalion will come to the rescue someday! :p

its been a while but i think the S/T album was SQ on an old Japanese Sony CD and the iTunes dowload possibly too but i need to double check so don't quote me on that fizzywizzy! :D

On Spotify it shows the SQ jacket so I'm gonna take a wild guess and say it's SQ encoded

Screen Shot 2017-11-06 at 2.36.34 PM.jpg

its been a while but i think the S/T album was SQ on an old Japanese Sony CD and the iTunes dowload possibly too but i need to double check so don't quote me on that fizzywizzy! :D

No I won't quote you F B. ! :D

Anyways , going Japanese ? We're not talking blu-spec editions correct ?

But perhaps Brian can shed some light ?

As to the "goofy" two cd's I have.......I have a theory . Perhaps there are 2 different quad mixes/encodes ? Slim chance I know but that did occur as far as 2 or more different discrete mixes with CBS/SONY/COLUMBIA (EPIC).

Anyways.....something to ponder .;)

No I won't quote you F B. ! :D

Anyways , going Japanese ? We're not talking blu-spec editions correct ?

But perhaps Brian can shed some light ?

As to the "goofy" two cd's I have.......I have a theory . Perhaps there are 2 different quad mixes/encodes ? Slim chance I know but that did occur as far as 2 or more different discrete mixes with CBS/SONY/COLUMBIA (EPIC).

Anyways.....something to ponder .;)

phew! :p
the Chase S/T Japanese CD wasn't a more recent Blu-Spec release for sure but as to which one it is i need to check hopefully will get a chance later in the week/at the wkend will post back and
let you know either way.
doubt there's more than one mix, seems v.doubtful for a later mix like Pure Music or Tale Spinnin.. but slim possibility for one of the earlier gold bordered era CBS mixes like Chase S/T I guess?

I have the first CD release of 'Rite of Spring' by Zubin Mehta with the New York Philharmonic. Later remasters lost the encoding, but the SQ is intact on it, and the mix is to die for - absolutely incredible. I love "hidden" quad on CD!

I wish to know more about this. Which CD issue was the first?
https://www.amazon.com/Stravinsky-Rite-Spring/dp/B00000DRWJ/ or
https://www.amazon.com/Spring-Stravinsky-Philharmonic-Zubin-Masterworks/dp/B00000DS8L

Obviously, I'd still need to figure out how to extract the SQ track, but at least the CDs aren't exactly rare.

phew! :p
the Chase S/T Japanese CD wasn't a more recent Blu-Spec release for sure but as to which one it is i need to check hopefully will get a chance later in the week/at the wkend will post back and
let you know either way.
doubt there's more than one mix, seems v.doubtful for a later mix like Pure Music or Tale Spinnin.. but slim possibility for one of the earlier gold bordered era CBS mixes like Chase S/T I guess?

Ok, I hear ya good buddy.:D

And thanks for the consideration as always. Like I said "slim chance" for that theory of mine.:rolleyes:

I'm just one of the few people that won't say nay to a possible encode because I know full well how very easy it is to do one.
Oh the quality may be poor or good but I've heard poor or good ( and superb ) encodes.

Not really a skeptic when it comes to matrix encoding, I suppose. I will never be fully dismissive to a possible reported secret encoded disc , but I can state it's always a possibility and can indicate the likelyhood as low percentage or moderate, (or even definitive ).

There are a range of well known poor quad mix/encodes apart from the superior encodes and discreet mixes afterall. (y)

There are some SQ encoded CDs available like the Annie Original Cast Album and Chase.
And they produce some good results with an SQ matrix decoder like the Surround Master in my experience.

As a note, the half-speed master LP of ANNIE is also SQ encoded. The quality of the sound is fantastic.

An SQ-CD rip seems more likely...I can't really hear any surface noise

i don't use Spotify anymore so i can't check but if this is the same as the iTunes that iirc did lots of crazy things thru PLII (which made me wonder if it was SQ-encoded but i'm not sure?) then i am guessing an SQ-encoded Stereo master may have been supplied by the label (Sony?) to both iTunes and Spotify. hmm.. if anyone has the opening track of the Chase album as an iTunes download or from Spotify please PM me and i can try SQ decoding the first (highly active in Quad!) 30 seconds of it to see what happens?

i don't use Spotify anymore so i can't check but if this is the same as the iTunes that iirc did lots of crazy things thru PLII (which made me wonder if it was SQ-encoded but i'm not sure?) then i am guessing an SQ-encoded Stereo master may have been supplied by the label (Sony?) to both iTunes and Spotify. hmm.. if anyone has the opening track of the Chase album as an iTunes download or from Spotify please PM me and i can try SQ decoding the first (highly active in Quad!) 30 seconds of it to see what happens?

I wonder if anyone has a/b'd the stereo lp ? Could answer a lot of questions .

I guess I'm still wonderstruck by those 2 albums on cd that I own and why they should be so demonstrative in Matrix decode.

Was the question of which CD release of this album is SQ encoded ever settled? Mark Anderson lists a '96 US release on One Way Records.

Chase is another one of those holes in my early 70s knowledge. Don't know why, as I was digging other "jazz-rock" acts back then. (I only know "Get It On" because it's been so frequently covered and sampled in the intervening decades.) Anyway, based on the streaming samples I've heard, I'd love to hear this!

Back