Weather Report's "Tale Spinnin" on SQ Encoded CD?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Was the question of which CD release of this album is SQ encoded ever settled? Mark Anderson lists a '96 US release on One Way Records.

Chase is another one of those holes in my early 70s knowledge. Don't know why, as I was digging other "jazz-rock" acts back then. (I only know "Get It On" because it's been so frequently covered and sampled in the intervening decades.) Anyway, based on the streaming samples I've heard, I'd love to hear this!

i don't know i'm pretty tied up atm, let me check over the weekend.

That's good of you, Adam. Hope you wanted it anyway! There are a few copies for sale at Discogs, so I should get one myself. I don't have a Surround Master, but the Dolby setting on my AVR does a pretty good job with the handful of other SQCDs I have, so...

don't have it so picked up a copy of the One Way CD of Chase S/T from a UK eBay seller so if
it's here by the w/end i'll run it thru the SQ Surround Master and report back.

That's good of you, Adam. Hope you wanted it anyway! There are a few copies for sale at Discogs, so I should get one myself. I don't have a Surround Master, but the Dolby setting on my AVR does a pretty good job with the handful of other SQCDs I have, so...

well i don't really want or need it, the SQ LP decodes pretty well and I much prefer their other Quad, "Pure Music".. but why not try it just for the hell of it! :D
if/when it stops being so enjoyable i'll do something else with my spare time but until then let's have some fun with this hobby we share! :p

quick update for humprof, fizzywiggs41, etc., the One Way label CD of the Chase S/T album arrived earlier, gave track 1 a quick decode thru the Surround Master in SQ mode
and compared it to track 1 of my Surround Master decode of the SQ LP, to me they are one and the same mix..
and any differences I suspect may be due to CD's superior separation specs over LP, or mechanical or some other playback noise from the turntable, surface noise, etc..
unrelated but fwiw the CD has an electrical kind of hum running thru it, so neither has the kind of inky black noise free background one might enjoy from, say, an AF or DV MCh SACD release from the Quad masters.

I want to check the rest of the CD before committing to anything but so far I would agree with Mark Anderson and that the One Way CD is indeed SQ-encoded. yeay! :party

(now "all" I need is SQ-encoded CDs of Pure Music & Tale Spinnin'.... :D )

Trk 01 Chase ST SQ LP Decoded by Involve Surround Master

BiPpVZp.png

(now "all" I need is SQ-encoded CDs of Pure Music & Tale Spinnin'.... :D )

I thought it was confirmed that the Pure Music Japanese Blu-Spec CD was SQ encoded. It comes with an OBI with the SQ logo on it. There is also a similar Japanese release of the Super Session album that is the SQ mix.

I thought it was confirmed that the Pure Music Japanese Blu-Spec CD was SQ encoded. It comes with an OBI with the SQ logo on it. There is also a similar Japanese release of the Super Session album that is the SQ mix.

the Pure Music Blu-Spec CD I have is absolutely not the SQ, 100% not, I proved with waveforms, sample clips and all sorts of bullshit on here one time, which I think about 2 & 1/2 people cared enough about to check out at the time :)

To round things out, here's track one from the Q8:

View attachment 31315

thanks for the Q8 waveforms! :upthumb

what amazes me more than anything tbh is how close the SQ LP decode resembles the CD's SQ decoded channels.. and that LP was played back on my old Pro-Ject & Ortofon combination that was on its last legs at the time.. with a really great turntable/cart/stylus/preamp properly setup and a decoder that wipes out the front to back bled stuff or I think with an SQ-encoded CD such as this (and decoder) you may be able to get a seriously close approximation of the discrete presentation!

Thanks for doing this, Adam! Definitely have to get a copy of that CD now. (Although the Q8 looks interesting, too, sjcorne--and different!)

thanks for the Q8 waveforms! :upthumb

what amazes me more than anything tbh is how close the SQ LP decode resembles the CD's SQ decoded channels.. and that LP was played back on my old Pro-Ject & Ortofon combination that was on its last legs at the time.. with a really great turntable/cart/stylus/preamp properly setup and a decoder that wipes out the front to back bled stuff, I think with an SQ-encoded CD you may be able to get a seriously close approximation of the discrete presentation!

Thanks for doing this, Adam! Definitely have to get a copy of that CD now. (Although the Q8 looks interesting, too, sjcorne--and different!)

you're welcome, its a pleasure :)
the mix is a laugh riot with the horns blasting out around the four corners of the room on that opening track, a real Quad classic!
i don't think so many people are as familiar with the Pure Music Quad (which is a shame as its a better album and mix imho) but I'm hoping a label like DV may put that right one day! :D

I did the whole Q8 if you'd like to hear it...it came out ok though one track has some annoying speed warble ("Get It On" I think).

As far as SQ vs. Q8 goes I'd say this is one of the better examples. Most decoders can really steer the trumpets around, but the achilles heel is that the trumpet blasts actually end in both rear channels only and the fronts go completely silent before the drums and bass kick in. I've hear decodes from Involve, Tate, and Audition scripts and none of them can really anchor the trumpets in the rears like the Q8 does. I suppose that is simply the nature of SQ though...you get the basic effect but lose some of the precision in the mix.

It is nice to have the Q8 to know how the mix is truly intended, but sometimes the fidelity and issues with the 8-track format really bug me. Happy to have both.

Screen Shot 2017-11-24 at 8.34.35 PM.png

I'll have to keep a third eye out for that "one way " disc , now. (CHASE - CHASE )

Thanks Freddism. :D

-might have to slice up this thread now.-remove Chase references ?

I had the original SQ LP versions of Mysterious Traveller and Tale Spinnin’. Ignoring the placement of instruments in the sound field, the mixes of both were considerably better, in my humble opinion, than the equivalent stereo releases. If you can understand what I mean, they made more sense musically and especially harmonically. Unfortunately I sold both last year without copying them, but if a CD were available I would jump to buy it.

I think I'm going to join in with Kirk's request to include the matrix quad with the Discrete SACD , much like DV did with Herbie Hancock 'Sextant'.

From a quad preservationists point of view , I think if DV has the SQ encode along with the Discrete master , please include that matrix quad encode.

Not sure if anyone else may feel the same way , but it would be nice to know we are not alone.

16942245126823744186112168581313.jpg

Last edited:
Back