HiRez Poll Deodato - PRELUDE & DEODATO 2 [SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD of Deodato - PRELUDE & DEODATO 2

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Poor Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

• Total voters
Where are you seeing this for $14?

Initially, the Deodato QUAD Two~fer SACD was £10.99 which in US currency is $14.54....roughly $7.27 per album [plus of course s/h from the UK].

Upon release, D~V raised the list price to £11.99, which, IMO, is still a bargain for two QUAD SACD remasters [on ONE disc].

DV 2fer's are a great deal! I'v been anticipating this for awhile, I was going to say that this order took longer to arrive than the last one but upon checking both took about 3 weeks. I have the SQ LP's (can't locate 2 right now but know that I have it, can't forget the cover). Of the two LP's I prefer 2, Super Strut being my favourite track. Sound quality is excellent but does sound tapeish in a few places. Surround is excellent, makes me wonder "what if" this Quadraphonic experiment were to of continued longer what else would of come from it, makes plain stereo almost unlistenable to me! A definite 10 from me!
Now just give us Deodato/Airto "In Concert" as another 2fer along with Airto "Fingers"!

Just got this...the fidelity is really good. Regarding the music, it's of its time - if you remember when Also Sprach was a hit and liked it then, you'll love this. I'd never really heard anything from Deodato before, and found the first album kind of charming - not as cloying and dated as some of the other MOR releases from Dutton. I'd still recommend checking out the songs first, but I enjoyed. I didn't care for Deodato 2 nearly as much - the synths were brand new at the time, but they give the album much more of a dated feeling, and it didn't feel like the inspiration was there quite the same. Still heartily recommended, especially in the twofer format.

Just got this...the fidelity is really good. Regarding the music, it's of its time - if you remember when Also Sprach was a hit and liked it then, you'll love this. I'd never really heard anything from Deodato before, and found the first album kind of charming - not as cloying and dated as some of the other MOR releases from Dutton. I'd still recommend checking out the songs first, but I enjoyed. I didn't care for Deodato 2 nearly as much - the synths were brand new at the time, but they give the album much more of a dated feeling, and it didn't feel like the inspiration was there quite the same. Still heartily recommended, especially in the twofer format.

I rather liked Deodato's take on Debussy's Prelude to Afternoon of a Faun. I thought it was respectfully haunting. Also Loved Nights in White Satin and Super Strut. Recommendation: play loudly. This SACD was encoded at a very low level.

Absolutely awesome!! This is up there with my favorites from DV (RTF & PPL). Crazy discrete mixes and wipes the floor fidelity and separation-wise with my Quad LP copies.

And if today's news is any indication, the best from DV is yet to come!! 10.

Really nice!

“Prelude” was one of the first jazz albums I ever owned, having bought it as a kid because I liked the “2001” hit single. It really put me on a path to being a big jazz fan I might not have been otherwise. I still use a lot of his riffs and motifs when I improvise Rhodes solos with my band.

I haven’t played it in years and some of it sounds dated now with the horn arrangements that sound more 60s pop to me than jazz. But fun to hear it again. I’ve never heard “2” until now, but it’s a solid album as well. Maybe even better overall? Need some more listens to make that call.

The mix is very good and very discreet. Dave’s liner notes are great.

Still just amazed we are getting so many unexpected and nice titles from DV at such a great price. Ordered this with 3 other titles direct from DV and they got here in like 2-3 weeks. So so happy with this label and what they are doing.

Giving this one a “9” because I can’t give everything a “10” and I don’t LOVE the music. Just really like it.

Made a nice dinner tonight and opened a bottle of wine. Listened to this album again. The "Also Sprach Zarathrstra 2001" track is easily gonna make it on my top surround demo tracks. I had such a good time listening to it. Excellent music with awesome production and engineering. A solid "10" rating. Everything about it was excellent. Just the right amount of surround in the right places. Sounded fantastic!

You already did ...... Michael and Simon DO READ QQ Forum. P.S. I would have gladly paid that too.
Are you sure about that? When they were having postage problems, Simon DID post here about the problem, but said they don't read our forums because they don't have the time. And they've never responded to anyone's want lists.

The synthesized and jazzed up version of Also sprach Zarathustra (2001) was quite a hit back in early 1973. I heard it many times (too many, truth be told) on AM radio. It was fun hearing it again in nearly pristine Quad. I also enjoyed several tracks from both the albums included here --Debussy's Prelude to the Afternoon of a Faun is one of my favorites. I'll say a B+, which works out to a solid 8. Two full albums in surround make this release a great value.

I just got this from DV. Listening to it now, in fact. Something I noticed right away with the first track, Also Sprach Zarathustra, and also on track 3, Carly & Carole, the left rear has very little going on in the surround mix. Or is that just my system? Right rear has a lot of percussion, but not left. Almost like they forgot.

Back