Adventures with a JVC DF19E...

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fingers crossed SSE, I'm keeping an eye on eBay here in the UK for a cost-effective SQ decoder and the plan for collection of the JVC DF19E is still pencilled in for early December :)

Hi. theorbscureddj

If you are going to look for a vintage SQ unit I would look at these units my first chose would be the lafayette SQ-W the second would be the Sony SQD-2020.

1. lafayette SQ-W
2. Sony SQD-2020

lafayette_sq-w_full_logic_4_channel_decoder.jpg
sonySQD2020.jpg

The lafayette has a better full logic system than the Sony but there are booth good.

Hey there again chaps... apologies for the silence and many thanks for the additional comment :) By way of a small update, after a 10 hour return trip today (452miles/728km) to collect the system from temporary storage after its initial journey from Dundee in Scotland to Huddersfield, the complete system is now finally with me here. I plan to set her up at the weekend, so fingers cross she not only works, but sounds good too.

One question, the speakers themselves are hard wired, but two of the plugs which fit into the decoder/receiver are missing. Here is one I have and the approximate dimensions at the pin end are 23cm x 9cm approx:

jvc-plug.jpg

They're like nothing I've seen here in the UK, so do they have a special name and more importantly, are they still available? If not, does anybody here have any sat in a spares box and are willing to sell?

Cheers
Pete

Hey there again chaps... apologies for the silence and many thanks for the additional comment :) By way of a small update, after a 10 hour return trip today (452miles/728km) to collect the system from temporary storage after its initial journey from Dundee in Scotland to Huddersfield, the complete system is now finally with me here. I plan to set her up at the weekend, so fingers cross she not only works, but sounds good too.

One question, the speakers themselves are hard wired, but two of the plugs which fit into the decoder/receiver are missing. Here is one I have and the approximate dimensions at the pin end are 23cm x 9cm approx:

jvc-plug.jpg

They're like nothing I've seen here in the UK, so do they have a special name and more importantly, are they still available? If not, does anybody here have any sat in a spares box and are willing to sell?

Cheers
Pete

It *looks* like a Pioneer speaker connector, part# AKM-003 no longer available except $ebay. I will need some if I ever restore a pioneer quad I have. If it is the same, I've seen people say it is the same as a Cinch-Jones 303 connector with the center pin pulled out. P-303-H-CCT from mouser.com etc. The Cinch-Jones is what I'd try, about $5 ea. I've seen ac connectors with one side twisted and the other filed down, but I'd expect them to damage the receptacles.

If the speakers are hard-wired, what is on the other end of the wire coming out of your connector?

Many thanks for the pointer QS... at least that's something I can go on (y)

If the speakers are hard-wired, what is on the other end of the wire coming out of your connector?

I've not had the backs off the speakers yet, so when I say hard wired, they may of course be simple spade plugs directly onto a simple crossover or drivers. I'll be taking a look at the weekend, especially as I'd also like to renew and increase the length of the cable on all four speakers.

Another quick update, as a result of quadsearchers excellent input above, I've managed to source 4 plugs via the eBay seller below in Canada... I just need to wait 5/10 days for them to arrive...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FOUR-2-P...r-Pioneer-SX-SA-Stereo-Receivers/131980882310

Also, all four speakers are, as far as I can tell, are sealed units, so I'll simply chop off the existing tatty/short cable and add choc/connector blocks between the old and new cable...

Yep... around £40 delivered, but a small price to pay in the quest to get this baby up and running :)

Some good news... having powered her up tonight for the first time since she arrived and with a short piece of wire as an aerial, I'm able to get a decent FM sound through the fronts... :banana:

Last edited:
Many thanks for the pointer QS... at least that's something I can go on (y)

I've not had the backs off the speakers yet, so when I say hard wired, they may of course be simple spade plugs directly onto a simple crossover or drivers. I'll be taking a look at the weekend, especially as I'd also like to renew and increase the length of the cable on all four speakers.

Ok, I get it. They are wired into the speakers. Yes, I'd change the wires and connectors, the molded types like that are prone to stress where wire meets the connector.

Another quick update, as a result of quadsearchers excellent input above, I've managed to source 4 plugs via the eBay seller below in Canada... I just need to wait 5/10 days for them to arrive...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FOUR-2-P...r-Pioneer-SX-SA-Stereo-Receivers/131980882310

Also, all four speakers are, as far as I can tell, are sealed units, so I'll simply chop off the existing tatty/short cable and add choc/connector blocks between the old and new cable...

Those are the ground-down/twisted AC plug type. Not original. Just so you know. It sounds like the seller had trouble with too-big connectors wrecking speaker jacks and has tried to improve his modification.

Yes indeed... I chose them out of simple economics and they are already on their way across the pond. I did check some original plugs out but they were silly money per pair and I just need four to get the system up and running in quadraphonic mode with new cable. Its a shame that the speakers are sealed, I'd really like to have re-cabled them from inside... but hey ho :)

Did you get it going in four channel?

Apologies for the delay, life had very much got in the way and the project has been on hold. However, today, I managed to find some time to finally connect the original speakers with some new cable. The good news is that the tuner works well. The bad news is that on closer inspection, the shibata diamond is missing from the JVC 4DT-5X cantilever. (n)However, I've googled about today and found one listed in Australia, so I'm just waiting to see if the seller will ship it to the UK. I may also need the MD-1016B cartridge in which the stylus fits, but I'll cross that bridge when I get to it... (y)

I'm looking at picking up one of these if I can get it cheap enough. What are the specs?

Drop me a PM and I can send you a scan of the OEM instruction book... :)

Right chaps... I've found a couple of 4DT-10X stylus for my JVC MD1016B cart on the bay, but at a premium. I've also dropped an email to LPTunes.com who have what is advertised as a 4DT-10X replacement for $79.95... so as an aside, does anybody here have one for sale, or can point me to anywhere that can provide me with a replacement?

Scrub that last request... after receiving confirmation that it was a like-for-like replacement, I've taken the plunge on the LPTunes.com stylus, so just awaiting delivery from the US and another update will follow once that arrives. I'll also look for some hosting space to upload the user manual to, so that those who may be interested can see what the DF19E is all about... :)

JICO 4DT-1X This will also be a good replacement, though more expensive. I suspect the one you bought is also JICO. I used to get mine from The Voice Of Music website, but they are out until further notice. The conical stereo tip, DT-33H is around, but will not do quad CD4 playback well.

Many thanks for the pointer CV... I did drop LP Tunes an email to ask if the stylus they were advertising as a replacement for the JVC 4DT-10X would be "an exact replacement for the 4DT-10X 4 channel stylus in my JVC MD-1016B cart and give me quadraphonic sound" to which they responded:

LP Tunes said:
Yes, this Shibata stylus will provide the quadraphonic sound you are looking for

Its ordered now, so we'll have to wait and see :)

...I'll also look for some hosting space to upload the user manual to, so that those who may be interested can see what the DF19E is all about... :)

Reach out to Jim White (our "Old Quad Guy" here on the forum) at www.quadraphonic.info. I was able to get a copy of the user manual for the Fosgate Tate II posted there. He might have interest/be willing to do the same for this hi-fi.

Back