Adventures with a JVC DF19E...

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm far too young to remember the all but brief heyday of the various quadraphonic formats that graced the music listening public here in the UK, but later on, during my time as a Mike Oldfield fan, later fanzine editor (which went on to become part of the official Mike Oldfield fanzine in the early 1990’s) the topic of Mike and his foray into multichannel releases of his early catalogue was something any collector of Mile's material would have been aware of. Indeed, QS versions of Tubular Bells, Ommadawn, Boxed and Exposed still grace my vinyl collection, but I'd never had the opportunity to spin them on dedicated equipment. The advent of multichannel 5.1 DVD-A then ensured that the chances of me sampling these early vinyl records would be put very much on the back burner… until now...

As part of my regular trawls through eBay, a rare search for quadraphonic records and equipment led me to a “But It Now” advert for a complete JVC DF19E full 4-channel console CD-4 system which, according to the advert, has the ability to also play SQ & QS formats. Great, I thought, finally a single solution to enable me to play my QS encoded discs on! Before I carry on with my story, here are a selection of the better photos, taken from the eBay auction, showing the system in question:

s-l16005.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l16001.jpg

s-l16002.jpg

At £350 ($460) collected, it seemed reasonable and the seller was sure that it was in full working order and the cartridge had less than 30 hours use. But on closer inspection, even though it was a UK listing, I found that it was located some 370+ miles (600km) away from me in South London, with the seller being situated in Dundee, Scotland. Now I realise that for some of you guys across the pond, that’s a local trip up the road, but for somebody who doesn’t drive, that pretty much put an end to the idea. Or that is what I thought… By a remarkable twist of fate, a member on another forum (Paul/Maverick on the WAM) noted my disappointment on a Quadraphonic thread there and suggested that as he was travelling to Dundee and could pick it up for me and get it 200 miles south to Huddersfield. OK, that still left 170 miles to go, but as he was able to offer safe dry storage, it seemed too good an offer to turn down.

So this is where I am now. Paul kindly collected the unit and as can be seen by the photos below, its now sat in storage waiting for me to arrange collection from him.

quad-01.jpg

quad-02.jpg

The longer term plan, once its been tested, is for the whole system to be exhibited at the WAM Scalford HiFi Show, in March 2018, with a view to enable visitors with Quad discs bring them along and enjoy them, perhaps for the very first time. As previously mentioned, I already have a selection of QS encoded discs and a nice clean looking copy of the QudraSound CD-4 Tubular Bells arrived from Canada (via Discogs) this week. I also have around 15 CD-4 discs saved on my Discogs (grabbed from the CD-4 test disc thread here) want list and plan to grab them once the unit arrives and tests as working.

So I’ll update this thread with my journey to bring quad to the 2-channel masses :)

Last edited:
Hey, that's awesome that you got that. I'm interested in getting one of those quadraphonic hi-fi's (as they're known here in the U.S.) some day, even if they're not the best decoders/demodulators out there. The idea of an all-in-one playback system in top condition is appealing to me as a collector's piece. And it might actually be a good CD-4 demodulator, even if only so-so with matrix recordings. What I love even more is that you plan to take it to a hi-fi show and display it! You could roll out a retro booth with shag rug and all, with a sign that says "New for 197x - 4 Channel Stereo!".

Hi. theorbscureddj

It looks like a Great all in one unit a bit of spit & polish will bring it up to looking new and yes get a Audio tech to check it over, this JVC unit its best Quad performance will be CD-4 and the Matrix part will be secondary because its apposing companies systems and you will most likely need to read the manual to set up the CD-4 if there is no CD-4 test disc with this unit you may need to buy one from eBay to do the
CD-4 calibration, and check to make sure that it still has the original CD-4 cartridge and good stylus.

I think you meant SQ matrix with Mike Oldfield it only came out in Japan in QS Matrix.
Bill...

Last edited:
The system looks easily upgradeable without affecting its look (which might be the most important aspect for you).

I would start with a Surround Master if the receiver has a suitable tape monitor loop. Not much sense in doing demos with anything less.

Many thanks for the feedback and suggestions chaps. The seller seemed sure that it was in full working order, so hopefully its just a matter of giving it a deep external clean and plugging her in. I enjoy 2-channel vinyl, so have a wet record cleaner and other record playing paraphernalia so as to clean/look after the cartridge, so fingers crossed (y)

s-l16009.jpg

In the meantime, having taken a look at the CD-4 recordings recommendation thread elsewhere on the forum, I've taken a risk and ordered the following CD-4/QudraDisc recordings via Discogs from all corners of the globe:

Bread - The Best Of Bread
The Doors - The Best Of The Doors
Gordon Lightfoot - Sundown
The Doobie Brothers - What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits
America - Holiday
Carpenters - The Singles 1969-1973

There are plans for others to follow, but I best keep an eye on my vinyl spend this month, I do need to eat too :)

I'll update this thread as and when I have more news...

Proufo made a great suggestion. If the matrix decoding on this turns out to be unimpressive, and there's a tape loop (4-ch. It looks like there is at least a 2-ch loop, and I think I can make out "4CH" in the close-up of the TAPE NORMAL/MONITOR switch, so you might have just what you need), then you'd be able to connect an external matrix decoder such as the Surround Master to handle matrix encoded records.

When you get the opportunity, post a clear photo of the front controls, and any RCA jacks that might be on the unit (rear probably). That will give us an idea of what might be possible with this JVC. Also, read through the manual (it looks like it's in English, not Japanese - whew!), it may cover this very topic.

Basically, if there is a 4-ch tape loop, then a matrix decoder could be added just like if it were a graphic equalizer: signal output to the equalizer, and signal returned from the equalizer (after it's been worked-over by the equalizer, or in this case the decoder). Play back a matrix encoded record with the tape loop engaged, and viola, matrix 4-ch sound! And if not, you might be able to find a creative way of routing the signal from the turntable to a decoder, and then back in through a 4-ch Discrete input because it looks like the FUNCTION knob has a setting called 4CH DISCRETE "something"/TAPE. Which looks to me like you could connect a 4-ch open reel tape deck or 8-track player.

Many thanks again SSE... plenty of nice clear hi-res photos will appear in due course:)

I know its difficult to read, but this was posted by the seller on eBay.

s-l16006.jpg

I may even get the guy who has the unit in storage to post me the documentation so that I can post it here...

Hi. theorbscureddj

It`s all right for us to say this and that but it will all ways come down to how much you are willing to spend, the ultimate add on Matrix Decoder is the Surround Master for SQ & QS Quad LP`s & CD`s and I am sure you can connect any decoder to your 4ch Tape Inputs.

I am not that good at setting up a links but if you want to read up on the Surround Master go her is a starting point.

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/showthread.php?18022-INVOLVE-SQ-IS-HERE

It`s all right for us to say this and that but it will all ways come down to how much you are willing to spend, the ultimate add on Matrix Decoder is the Surround Master for SQ & QS Quad LP`s & CD`s and I am sure you can connect any decoder to your 4ch Tape Inputs.[/url]
What would be ideal, and very clean, is to avoid the annoyance and cost of cable swaps/external switch and an extra phono preamp to use the --hopefully great, JVC demod/JVC cart-- CD-4 capabilities.

I've now got my SQD-2020 decoder, and very good it is too! That means that my DIY Full-Logic SQ decoder is spare, and you're welcome to borrow that for Scalford as I'll be using the SQD. The tape output of the JVC can go to the decoder and the decoder's four outputs can go into the 'discrete' inputs of your JVC. That should give you a better result than using the JVC's SQ decoder which is likely to be a fairly basic one, given that JVC would have wanted to feature their own CD-4 system.

The cartridge you have will be fine with SQ, as that doesn't need anything special.

I haven't heard CD-4 since 1970 something, so it'll be an interesting experience for me too.

S.

If you go the out of sight QQ Surround Master route you will need a way to switch between QS and SQ. I don't remember the details but it is not a simple button or anything similar.

A thought that just occurred to me regarding what bigbillquad said: if you patch the OUT connections from the tape monitor loop (if it is only a 2ch loop) to a decoder, and then back in through the 4ch discrete tape inputs, it may not work. When the function knob is turned to 4CH DISCRETE - CD4/TAPE, the unit may only accept direct play from the built-in turntable, or a patched-in tape source (which ever one is playing - hopefully not both at the same time :mad:@: ). The tape loop, if it is only 2ch, may be completely excluded from use in that setting.

But I don't know, and I'm wishing theorbscureddj the best of exploration when he is finally able to take possession of the JVC! Once you get it and just start using it as it is you'll have to update us! And like bigbillquad also said, after some spit and polish that will probably be a nifty piece.

A thought that just occurred to me regarding what bigbillquad said: if you patch the OUT connections from the tape monitor loop (if it is only a 2ch loop) to a decoder, and then back in through the 4ch discrete tape inputs, it may not work.
Tape monitor loops override the selection. What is unknown is if this unit can do the two-out four-in loop. It may be the case that you can listen to whatever is connected to the discrete/tape inputs via the function knob and also via the tape monitor switch.

Latest update chaps... having persuaded a mate to help, I now plan to pick the system up from its Huddersfield storage by w/e 8th December... so I'll be in much better position to comment on how she sounds and with what modifications we can make to enable high quality non CD-4 reproduction. My second CD-4 LP arrived today too, so that'e been cleaned, slipped into an anti-static bag and placed with other quad recordings... :)

I got curious, looked around, and happened to come across a lot of pictures for Victor CD-4 Console Systems. From all of the pictures I found it looks like the tape loop is both 2- and 4-channel. Activating the switch will probably turn all of the monitor RCA jacks "on" and will feed as many of the 4 channels as you chose to connect, whether it's only one or all four. That would allow original buyers to connect an quad 8-track player or quad reel-to-reel, or a JVC 4-channel equalizer like the SEA-7VE. Or, an outboard decoder like we've been speculating about. it will be interesting to find out!

Back