Comfortably Numb Game: Dr. Who?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tornado Red

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
I was watching (and listening!) to David Gilmour's Live at Pompeii deluxe blu ray set today, love both the Pompeii and South American versions of Comfortably Numb. It got me to thinking about how many different people have sung the role of 'The Doctor' over the years. I've made a small list of ones that I know of, and I'd love to hear your additions not mentioned here so please play along ;). I don't follow Roger Waters, but if you have any from his concerts you'd like to list here (besides the obvious choice of Roger) by all means please post!

Original The Wall album - Roger Waters

Pink Floyd Pulse (The Division Bell tour) - Jon Carin, Richard Wright and Guy Pratt as a trio (and maybe these three on Delicate Sound Of Thunder? I don't have a copy)

Two from On An Island tour: Gdansk - Richard Wright
The Royal Albert Hall (Remember That Night) - David Bowie

David Gilmour In Concert from Robert Wyatt's Meltdown - Robert Wyatt

Three from Rattle That Lock Tour: Pompeii - Chuck Leavell
The Royal Albert Hall - Benedict Cumberbatch
South America - Jon Carin

Any more? And please correct me if I have any confused :mad:@:

P.S. - Anyone know if Nick Mason ever played the Dr.?

I was watching (and listening!) to David Gilmour's Live at Pompeii deluxe blu ray set today, love both the Pompeii and South American versions of Comfortably Numb. It got me to thinking about how many different people have sung the role of 'The Doctor' over the years. I've made a small list of ones that I know of, and I'd love to hear your additions not mentioned here so please play along ;). I don't follow Roger Waters, but if you have any from his concerts you'd like to list here (besides the obvious choice of Roger) by all means please post!

Original The Wall album - Roger Waters

Pink Floyd Pulse (The Division Bell tour) - Jon Carin, Richard Wright and Guy Pratt as a trio (and maybe these three on Delicate Sound Of Thunder? I don't have a copy)

Two from On An Island tour: Gdansk - Richard Wright
The Royal Albert Hall (Remember That Night) - David Bowie

David Gilmour In Concert from Robert Wyatt's Meltdown - Robert Wyatt

Three from Rattle That Lock Tour: Pompeii - Chuck Leavell
The Royal Albert Hall - Benedict Cumberbatch
South America - Jon Carin

Any more? And please correct me if I have any confused :mad:@:

P.S. - Anyone know if Nick Mason ever played the Dr.?
Bob Geldof and Paul Carrack ? I will also have to check who sang this part in the different Roger Waters tours

Van Morrison with the Band at Waters’ performance on Potsdamer Platz commemerating the demolition of the Berlin Wall

David Crosby sang it at the Hollywood Bowl Gilmour show on 3/24/2016. No offence Croz, but it was cringe-worthy.

February 1986. Colombian Volcano benefit concert, Royal Albert Hall, London. Billy Nicholls and Sam Brown sing the part of the doctor. Note, Gilmour is not playing a Strat in this performance.

[video=youtube;01sxL5BcEpQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01sxL5BcEpQ[/video]

As for Roger Waters performances, Roger himself always sings the part of the doctor. However the parts usually sung by Gilmour have been sung at Waters shows by Bruce Hornsby (Guitar Greats concert, Seville Spain, October 1991), Eddie Vedder (Hurricane Sandy benefit, Madison Square Garden NYC December 12, 2012) and plenty of others.

Amusingly, Hornsby later stated that when asked to perform the song with Waters, he had to admit that he had never heard "Comfortably Numb" before. (He had been listening to pretty much nothing but jazz when it was released.) He did fall in love with the song though and it ended up being the inspiration for his song "Fortunate Son". Hornsby regularly performs the two as a medley in his own shows.

Last edited:
Back