Animals “Immersion” live 1977 set in discrete 4.0 surround...

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimfisheye

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
…has not been officially released. Floyd never professionally recorded the tour.

Some people in the audience DID record some of these shows though. A couple of them turned out with shockingly full fidelity recordings. There were a few cases of multiple people at the same show recording the live surround mix from different locations (foreshadowing). One guy even made a recording from directly in front of their rear surround speaker stack. If you hadn’t heard it, you wouldn’t think you could put together a true discrete surround mix sourced from audience recordings with full high fidelity sound and true discrete surround.

So if you haven’t heard it, head on over to Yeeshkul! and check it out. It’s real and it plays very much like a professionally recorded and mixed production rather than a bootleg with good intentions. This would have been the crown jewel in an Animals “Immersion set” for me.

Fascinating, thanks!

I would have found it helpful to have links so for others here is the thread for the torrent in question and here is the forum in which it was posted with other interesting related recordings

There is in fact a matrix recording of Zurich Switzerland. Definitely a blend of audience tapes, and a cool listen but not really the grail you are seeking. More like a Grail shaped beacon.

There is in fact a matrix recording of Zurich Switzerland. Definitely a blend of audience tapes, and a cool listen but not really the grail you are seeking. More like a Grail shaped beacon.

I did that in 2010 when that rear speaker recording surfaced. Especially in hindsight, I fully agree with that assessment. That was back in the Pro Tools HD days and Pro Tools was in no way shape or form up to the task of successfully pulling that off! Close enough for a tease but not success. Today we have audio tools like Reaper and the ability to do lossless digital speed correction to the micro level (among other things). What took 3 hours of painful work in Pro Tools back then (and didn't really turn out very well) takes 3 minutes in Reaper and comes out flawless now.

Like the notes say, there wasn't a single concert with all elements available to do this. But all the pieces were there among the 6 shows chosen. I do plan on revisiting that one and a couple of the other shows for followup one day. (ie. Historically accurate shows with any missing bits allowed to stay missing.) This Best Of Tour is the grail you are seeking!

I assure you Jim's work on this is amazing. Go to Y! and grab it if you can or just ask for it...

This Best Of Tour is the grail you are seeking!

The Castle Aaargh! I see it! Our quest is nearly at an end...

The Castle Aaargh.JPG

I assure you Jim's work on this is amazing. Go to Y! and grab it if you can or just ask for it...

Seconded. It's really cool.

I imagine the acoustics on the 1977 tour were not the best. You're in a stadium or large arena, the place is packed for festival seating, everyone's shouting and screaming and setting off fireworks, sound clanging off of hard angular surfaces at a long distance, and so on.

In my mind, this is what a 1977 show would have sounded like had you been there.

Listened to this a couple of times, some parts sound overloaded and harsh, but some song's surround sound, sounds pretty freakin' amazing! Track to track, it almost completely changes from harsh mono to really wide and discrete surround.

WOW!,
MANY THANK YOU'S JIM...
I did post a TY over on Y!, but was researching ANOTHER possible quad(ELP- WBMF)
recording & BAM! I see this thread.
as Adrian Belew says...
"the more is listen to it, the more I like it"
GRAND KUDOS to you on THIS work!

Seconded. It's really cool.

I imagine the acoustics on the 1977 tour were not the best. You're in a stadium or large arena, the place is packed for festival seating, everyone's shouting and screaming and setting off fireworks, sound clanging off of hard angular surfaces at a long distance, and so on.

In my mind, this is what a 1977 show would have sounded like had you been there.

I WAS THERE in a baseball stadium, (Anaheim, Calif.) THIS SET really brings back the sound & feel of being there once again!

I WAS THERE in a baseball stadium, (Anaheim, Calif.) THIS SET really brings back the sound & feel of being there once again!

Ah, fishyboots, I am in envy. Unfortunately, I was six years old, so this would not have been a good experience for me.

I'd have been like this:

MOMMY WHY IS IT SO LOUD!?! It smells like Cousin Doug's van out here! I want to go hooooooomeee....

Back