Setup and connecting

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xraytech

Thanks to everyone for your help. I hope I have posted in the right place. It's been a long time since I have taken in quadraphonics. I have a Sony STR-DH800 receiver with hdmi inputs. I have a electro-voice EVX-44 decoder I've had a long time. Is there any way to hook this up to my sony receiver to get quad sound or just give up on it and try something else? Thanks to all for help and guidance.

Welcome to the forum.
As a retired field engineer who wore a film badge for 35 years, I like your forum name. (y)

You are probably snookered as far as using an antique decoder with discrete analog outputs into a modern HDMI surround receiver.
You would likely need to find a surround receiver with analog phono inputs to make use of it.
Don't give it away or sell it without getting advice here.

What's your goal?
Do you have a collection of old quad LPs you'd like to listen to again, or what?
What year did you graduate from high school?
(That's how I index a person's favorite music.)

Here's an old thread with a ton of info on your decoder.
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/showthread.php?14311-Decoder-Electro-Voice-EVX-44

You can introduce yourself and tell as a little more about yourself in this thread:
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...embers-Only!!-(Members-who-have-never-posted)

Thanks to everyone for your help. I hope I have posted in the right place. It's been a long time since I have taken in quadraphonics. I have a Sony STR-DH800 receiver with hdmi inputs. I have a electro-voice EVX-44 decoder I've had a long time. Is there any way to hook this up to my sony receiver to get quad sound or just give up on it and try something else? Thanks to all for help and guidance.

A picture or good description of your rear panel of the receiver would help. A listing of all RCA inputs and RCA outputs .

I never had that particular decoder but FWIW , you should get some matrix decoding utilizing the tape in's/out's but will have to use tape 1 or 2 etc.for all EV listening I do believe.

As to HDMI hookup with the Decoder, I think an adapter is available but never used one so someone else will have to advise.

Thanks everyone. I graduated from high school in 1970. I have a sister 6 years older than me so I like all kinds of music- hard rock, you name it.Not so much country, though. I could never afford the big fancy quad units like the Sansui ones. My budget was always tight in college, so I tended to buy on the low side. I only have maybe 4-5 quad albums. I'll probably get rid of them at some point. For now I'll stick with regular stereo. Easier. Thanks again everyone.

Whoa, whoa, whoa!
Not so fast my friend.
Don't give up that easily.

You have a surround sound receiver.
Presumably you have five or six speakers hooked up to it.
And a DVD or Blu-ray player.
You're ready to explore the wonderful world of listening to music in surround.

I just looked at your receiver owner's manual.
https://docs.sony.com/release//STRDH800_US.pdf
See page 60.
That HDMI connection is your ticket to High-Resolution 5.1 playback.

Stick around and explore, the geeks here will help you.
If you graduated in 1970, you can hear Chicago, Yes, The Beatles, Jethro Tull, Pink Floyd, etc. etc.
In state-of-the-art surround from optical digital discs instead vinyl.

And somebody here can use that decoder when you're ready to re-home it.

This is where we will help you to get, dancing like Snood the Banana Guy in the middle of your speakers.
You already broke the ice, just stick around.

:51banana:

For now I'll stick with regular stereo. Easier.

You can listen to all your stereo music right now in several enhanced surround modes.
We can help you dial in your system.
See page 63 of the owner's manual.

Types of enhanced surround mode

Pro Logic II* [PLII]
Pro Logic IIx* [PLIIx]
Neo:6 Cinema [NEO6 CIN]
Neo:6 Music [NEO6 MUS]
Neural-THX [NEURAL-THX]

Ya what Dave said! Welcome My name is Dave also and I am a CT tech in Gallup, NM.

You can start with some DTS encoded stuff that wont break the bank.

What kind of music do you like and we will offer up some suggested titles!

Now your on the path to audio nirvana!

Tell us what kind of gear you have connected to you receiver.

Your receiver will calibrate itself.
Dig into that owner's manual.

Home theater is the best thing that ever happened to quadrophonic listening.

8: Calibrating the appropriate settings
automatically
(AUTO CALIBRATION) ...................... 33
9: Adjusting the speaker levels and
balance (TEST TONE).........................40

You can listen to all your stereo music right now in several enhanced surround modes.
We can help you dial in your system.
See page 63 of the owner's manual.

Types of enhanced surround mode

Pro Logic II* [PLII]
Pro Logic IIx* [PLIIx]
Neo:6 Cinema [NEO6 CIN]
Neo:6 Music [NEO6 MUS]
Neural-THX [NEURAL-THX]

@Xraytech :
Yes and just to add a little info you actually may prefer utilzing these mentioned surround modes in lieu of your EV Decoder for your quad lps.

They will "best "the decoder you have as it's more of a passive quad mode device as opposed to the superior logic based
matrice's your receiver can demonstrate.

So your receiver should be better than that quad decoder fwiw.

I have a blu-ray player, turntable. Have listened to a some DTS audio- Steve Miller, Fleetwood Mac. I like Led Zeppelin, particularly I & II. Those are the ones I listened to mostly in highschool.

@Xraytech :
Yes and just to add a little info you actually may prefer utilzing these mentioned surround modes in lieu of your EV Decoder for your quad lps.

They will "best" the decoder you have as it's more of a passive quad mode device as opposed to the superior logic based
matrice's your receiver can demonstrate.

So your receiver should be better than that quad decoder fwiw.

To listen to LPs in surround, it appears there is no phono turntable input on your A-V receiver, common issue.
Easily solved with an inexpensive phono preamp and cable.

CDs, too, are often more immersive in Dolby PL Music or Neo Music mode.

Right now I'm listening to 1970 Jethro Tull Benefit on DVD in 5.1 DTS 96/24.

Have you explored the Polls section of the forum?
Great place to see what's been released in quad and surround and read reviews and banter.
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/TabbedPollChart.htm

Other 1970-era recent Quad re-issues I've listened to this week:

• The Doors - The Singles bonus blu-ray Best of The Doors 1973 Quad Mix ($18, 2 CD - 1 BDA) https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07377SQTZ
  • Chicago, first nine albums vintage quad mix blu-ray
  • Allman Brothers - Complete Fillmore East (six hours of audio) & Idlewild South 5.1 blu-ray
  • Jethro Tull - Stand Up, Aqualung DVD
  • In The Court of the Crimson King 5.1 DVD
  • Supersession 5.1 SACD (new, on sale for $10)
  • Elton John - Tumbleweed Connection SACD

To listen to LPs in surround, it appears there is no phono turntable input on your A-V receiver, common issue.
Easily solved with an inexpensive phono preamp and cable.

CDs, too, are often more immersive in Dolby PL Music or Neo Music mode.

Right now I'm listening to 1970 Jethro Tull Benefit on DVD in 5.1 DTS 96/24.

Have you explored the Polls section of the forum?
Great place to see what's been released in quad and surround and read reviews and banter.
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/TabbedPollChart.htm

Other 1970-era recent Quad re-issues I've listened to this week:

• The Doors - The Singles bonus blu-ray Best of The Doors 1973 Quad Mix ($18, 2 CD - 1 BDA) https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07377SQTZ
  • Chicago, first nine albums vintage quad mix blu-ray
  • Allman Brothers - Complete Fillmore East (six hours of audio) & Idlewild South 5.1 blu-ray
  • Jethro Tull - Stand Up, Aqualung DVD
  • In The Court of the Crimson King 5.1 DVD
  • Supersession 5.1 SACD (new, on sale for $10)
  • Elton John - Tumbleweed Connection SACD

Thanks. I solved the turntable playback problem. But, to be honest, I've never really played around much with those settings much. Are they done in 2channel mode? I'll just play around with it some more. Thanks

Back