Mahler Fans ... Which Symphony No. 1?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quadzilla

Exiled QQ Veteran
Since 2002/2003
I have been going through my classical SACDs pulling out a number of titles to sell, and it seems that I have two Mahler's Symphony No. 1 disks. Both are multichannel and still sealed, and I plan to keep one of them. Since I can't listen to either without opening them, I am hoping that someone can tell me which one they would keep. Which has the best sound quality and the best surround sound production? Here is a photo of the two titles. I would appreciate hearing your input. Thank you.

Attachments

• P1020780.jpg
    P1020780.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 209
Can't help much. Don't think much of either but less of the Gergiev.

I have not heard either of these recordings but will nevertheless venture an opinion.

The sound will almost certainly be better in the Zinman recording. Gergiev's Mahler 1 is recorded in The Barbican, almost always a problematic venue.

Zinman's recording also has the minor advantage of having Mahler's discarded Blumine movement. Should you ever decide to get other recordings of the Mahler 1, this would provide a useful supplement.

I do have a few recordings of Gergiev performing works by other composers and, apart from some interesting Stravinsky, I have not been overly impressed. Therefore, I am a bit leery of his Mahler. Zinman's Mahler seems to have had a better critical reception but would probably not be most people's first choice.

If you really want a very good multi-channel recording of the Mahler 1, then the Ivan Fischer recording on Channel Classics would be a good choice. I'm sure that there are others on this forum that can give you additional recommendations. Of course, there are lots of other great Mahler recordings out there that are not multi-channel that would be worthy of a place in anyone's collection.

Hope this helps.

Jim

I'd keep the Zinman too, with the minor caveat (especially given the forum title) that the audio is in quad only, the center channel is muted.

I was going to say that you can get Gergiev's entire cycle for the price of two discs (it was GBP 30 for a long time on their site). However, it seems the boxset is going OOP, although some retailers still have it.

I am playing the Zinman disk, and I like it. It is very dynamic, with plenty of open air. The surround mix is neither discrete or ambient, but is very immersive ... almost like there are no walls in the room. I appreciate everybody's advice, and I continue to purge my collection. Shostakovich is next.

"Neither discrete nor ambient, but very immersive." That's exactly how I'd describe the Zinman Mahler 8th (the only one of his cycle I own). The engineers weren't quite up to the challenge of capturing the power of the finale, but I'm not sure how anyone would be...

I am playing the Zinman disk, and I like it. It is very dynamic, with plenty of open air. The surround mix is neither discrete or ambient, but is very immersive ... almost like there are no walls in the room. I appreciate everybody's advice, and I continue to purge my collection. Shostakovich is next.

Back