2002 SACD Catalog with Kansas Leftoverture listed as coming soon

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh my, should of stated "possibly" .

Well we do know Miles Davis exists , and 2 SRV titles I'd seen as upcoming MC on a few sites back when , Kansas ??? Who knows .(the shadow I suppose) :)

Wonder if The Byrds-Fifth Dimension got the treatment ? Was on that Sony site for about a year ...right up to the time that site disappeared , not definitive but who knows ?

Any info regarding SACD titles that "you know definitely " don't exist , Brian ? :D ( Well Sony, of course )

Byrds' 5D and the SRV were afaik remixed into 5.1 by QQ Member ThomC (Thom Cadley)

I wonder if Mark Anderson--or anyone else--would be willing to draft a subsection of the "Rumored" page of his Popular Quad discography compiling titles that were definitely mixed...

iirc the Byrds' mix was speculated upon to be possibly not the best ever due to limited multitracks at the remix engineer's disposal or something, may account for it never making it out i don't know..!?
..also I think an SRV v.v.briefly may have made it out but don't quote me on that, its past bedtime and I may have had one too many Smirnoff and 7Up's ce soir to be totally relied upon now :eek:

iirc the Byrds' mix was speculated upon to be possibly not the best ever due to limited multitracks at the remix engineer's disposal or something, may account for it never making it out i don't know..!?
..also I think an SRV v.v.briefly may have made it out but don't quote me on that, its past bedtime and I may have had one too many Smirnoff and 7Up's ce soir to be totally relied upon now :eek:

That doesn't really surprise me...it is a pretty old album (1966). If it was released it might've been the oldest album to be mixed in surround. iirc Super Session & Child Is Father To The Man were each recorded a year or two later.

Come to think of it a lot of the mixes I've heard from this short-lived series of Single-Layer Multichannel SACDs from Sony aren't particularly impressive IMO.

The ones sourced from quad masters are fantastic- I have Head Hunters, Blow By Blow & Mysterious Traveller

Of the 5.1's I've got, a few are generally good but mixed rather conservatively (The BJs, JTs, Strange Beautiful Music). Toys In The Attic is probably the most adventurous new mix but I like the quad better. Tapestry never really impressed me, Agents Of Fortune and the Oasis album are pretty bad, and Kind Of Blue & Time Out are essentially 3-channel. I'm probably forgetting others...

Haven't heard the rest, still looking for In A Silent Way, Gratitude, Blue Country Heart, and the two PIR quads.

So who knows...maybe some of these unreleased mixes weren't all that great. Remember these would've been from the same company that ignored the incredible quad versions of Bartok Concerto For Orchestra and the Chorus Line soundtrack...

Could be a case where a few were "partially" mixed , incomplete mixes.

Hell I aint picky--give me what you got Sony !! :D

--And that goes DOUBLE for UMG with say...AJA !! And the remaining "mixed" Dan's fwiw. :smokin

We know "Pretzel Logic " was completed , and either Royal Scam or Katie Lied but it gets a bit foggy there as to what Elliot Scheiner managed to mix from the Dan before UMG pulled the plug.
(and of course ...Greg Penny's mixes of "Don't Shoot..", Blue Moves,..etc.fr ELTON JOHN) :D

That doesn't really surprise me...it is a pretty old album (1966). If it was released it might've been the oldest album to be mixed in surround. iirc Super Session & Child Is Father To The Man were each recorded a year or two later.

Come to think of it a lot of the mixes I've heard from this short-lived series of Single-Layer Multichannel SACDs from Sony aren't particularly impressive IMO.

The ones sourced from quad masters are fantastic- I have Head Hunters, Blow By Blow & Mysterious Traveller

Of the 5.1's I've got, a few are generally good but mixed rather conservatively (The BJs, JTs, Strange Beautiful Music). Toys In The Attic is probably the most adventurous new mix but I like the quad better. Tapestry never really impressed me, Agents Of Fortune and the Oasis album are pretty bad, and Kind Of Blue & Time Out are essentially 3-channel. I'm probably forgetting others...

Haven't heard the rest, still looking for In A Silent Way, Gratitude, Blue Country Heart, and the two PIR quads.

So who knows...maybe some of these unreleased mixes weren't all that great. Remember these would've been from the

same company that ignored the incredible quad versions of Bartok Concerto For Orchestra and the Chorus Line

soundtrack...

I have a few titles mixed in surround fr '66 or prior, fwiw. :D

4 Dylan's !! Other Side Of The Mirror -DVD (64,65,66), and Live in NYC- SACD(64), Another Side Of -SACD (64), Bringing It All Back Home- SACD(65), Blonde On Blonde -SACD (66) .

Donavon-Fairytale DVDA(65)-weak surround though. And there are Beatles (DVD, DVDA, BD) mixes fr 64 upwards , possibly
63 as well.

There are not very many though. And some better than others . The earliest surround I think is the SACD of Art Tatum (1949 plus) piano works.

https://www.amazon.ca/Live-Shrine-Starts-Art-Tatum/dp/B0017R1E5K

We know "Pretzel Logic " was completed , and either Royal Scam or Katy Lied but it gets a bit foggy there as to what Elliot Scheiner managed to mix from the Dan before UMG pulled the plug.

Pretzel Logic's 45th is in 2019 I think...there's really no reason they can't just throw the 5.1 in a mega box set and finally end all the speculation. I wouldn't even care if it was a Dolby-encoded DVD.

But that's another conversation for another thread I suppose...

Back