2002 SACD Catalog with Kansas Leftoverture listed as coming soon

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jsulzinger

500 Club - QQ All-Star
QQ Supporter
I could not find any info on here about this. Does anyone have any more info on this one?

IMG_0517[1].jpg

IMG_0521[1].jpg

great (yet agonising!) find..!
I wonder if it was a new 5.1 mix for SACD (and if so who mixed it) or an unreleased Quad.. either way, I'd love the album in surround.. iirc Jeff Glixman said he was never involved in remixing any Kansas tracks into surround.. and the Kansas DVD set of videos has a load of rubbish ambient faux mixes in the 5.1 Dolby Digital soundtrack.

are there any other titles in the catalogue that similarly never made it out at the time?
I'm thinking of things like Wild Cherry's Electrified Funk, Ramsey Lewis' Sun Goddess, and MCH mixes that AF liberated (Bob Dylan Live, Supersession, BS&T Child Is Father, Labelle's Nightbirds) etc.

oh here we go! it got a mention at the bottom of the page;

https://www.soundandvision.com/content/surround-work-part-3-page-3

"Still to come is a multichannel remix of Leftoverture, for which the band is recruiting original producer Jeff Glixman. "You have to be real careful remixing a classic," Ehart notes. "But if the fans want it, far be it from us to stand in the way."

Brett Milano

I have two of these catalogs, one from 04/2002 and one from 09/2002. They both list stereo and multi-channel titles that were never released but Leftoverture is the one I would die to have.

I will dig them out again and list any other titles that were announced but never released.

It would be nice to compile a list of all of these (maybe along with DVD-A ones as well) - titles that had some kind of official announcement or listing, but never came to fruition.

I remember bmoura's old SACD listing site had a 'coming soon' page that listed Stevie Ray Vaughan's 'Couldn't Stand The Weather', Herbie Hancock's 'Future Shock' and Sly & The Family Stone 'Live At The Fillmore' as scheduled for multichannel SACD and none of those ever came out.

These are pics of a 1999 catalog from sacd project. Some good ones never came out.
Correction: Sept 2001.

Attachments

• IMG_0967.jpg
    IMG_0967.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 421
  • IMG_0968.jpg
    IMG_0968.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 415
  • IMG_0969.JPG
    IMG_0969.JPG
    138.8 KB · Views: 400
Here is the King Crimson title, also front of the catalog:

Attachments

• IMG_0971.JPG
    IMG_0971.JPG
    162.6 KB · Views: 341
  • IMG_0970.jpg
    IMG_0970.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 334
Wow...always cool (but also sad) to see stuff like this.

I wonder if the Bitches Brew and BS&T Greatest Hits discs were new 5.1 mixes or just transfers of the old quads. The fact that Ship Ahoy, Blow By Blow, and Head Hunters are on the same page makes me think they may have been quad transfers.

I definitely would've bought most of these, especially Future Shock, Leftoverture, and Fifth Dimension

Wow...always cool (but also sad) to see stuff like this.

I wonder if the Bitches Brew and BS&T Greatest Hits discs were new 5.1 mixes or just transfers of the old quads. The fact that Ship Ahoy, Blow By Blow, and Head Hunters are on the same page makes me think they may have been quad transfers. [/I]

I'd be willing to bet that they are the old quad mixes.

These are pics of a 1999 catalog from sacd project. Some good ones never came out.
Correction: Sept 2001.

there's Future Shock! well remembered Dave!

..and Ramsey Lewis' Sun Goddess! :yikes
i knew i wasn't dreaming when i remembered it as a pre-order! i wonder if it ever got to the 5.1 mixing stage or similar to Leftoverture and just a placeholder.. would love that one in surround.. and his Columbia Quad release Upendo Ni Pamoja would make a good Surround SACD release for Dutton Vocalion!

I have to at least partially wonder about the possibility that Sun Goddess could have been from a shelved quad mix. Released at the peak of Columbia's quad output in 1974, and partially produced by Teo Macero, who did the Upendo Ni Pamoja quad mix the year before. Maybe not a lock, but not out of the realm of possibility either. I would imagine that the proposed Bitches Brew & BS&T GH discs were probably the quad mixes as well, what a shame they never happened.

The catalog is from April 2002 and I assume that it was at some point coming soon because the catalog # is listed as TBA.

It was a planned Surround Sound SACD release from Sony Music back in 2002.
The album was not released in 5.1 SACD Surround. And probably not mixed in 5.1 Surround, just announced as a planned release as I recall.

Back