Level
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 67.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered50000 Experience PointsSocialOverdrive
    Awards:
    Downloads
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: 2002 SACD Catalog with Kansas Leftoverture listed as coming soon

Quote Originally Posted by humprof View Post
    Fizzywigs, do you have the exact URL? You could try archive.org's "Wayback Machine":

http://archive.org/web/
    Exact URL ? No I don't unfortunately . Both UMG and Sony had a site back then though fwiw.(and Warner and Silverline 4 DVDA)

400 Club - QQ All Star
    Level
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 63
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Old SACD catalog with Kansas Leftoverture listed as coming soon

Quote Originally Posted by jsulzinger View Post
    These are pages from the catalogs that I have so I believe they are from 2002 rather than 1999. The only thing of interest that is not shown in the above images is a planned stereo release of King Crimson ITCOTCK on Virgin records.
    I'd love to see the rest. Interest is in the eye of the beholder.

3. Likes Snood liked this post
    1K Club - QQ Shooting Star steelydave's Avatar
    Level
    Overall activity: 30.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranSocial25000 Experience PointsTagger Second Class
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by haikubass View Post
    A DVD-A list is in this thread.
    "this thread" that I started! haha

I actually found an earlier thread with that list on QQ and it pours some cold water on it being an actual 'upcoming release' list, it sounds more like it was a label wish list. To quote MCunningham from that original 2002 thread:

Quote Originally Posted by MCunningham View Post
    DVD-Forum Schweiz

I wouldn't get excited just yet. This list has been on their site since the beginning of last year. The list consists of titles that were mentioned in passing by Warner as possible future projects back when the format was just beginning it's launch. A few have actually appeared, but for the most part, it basically remains a wish list. The owner of the site has continued to add titles to the list as they've been announced, Linkin Park: Reanimation, Alanis Morissette: Under Rug Swept, etc. along with most of the titles that have since been announced. They were not on the list originally.

Here's an archive.org Wayback Machine capture of the UMG Upcoming SACD list on April 6, 2004. Note the 6 Steely Dan SACD's listed as upcoming at the very bottom of the page. I think they disappeared by the summer of that year - I also remember The Killers 'Hot Fuss' being on that page for a while too.

ETA: captures from some other dates yield some interesting titles I'd forgotten about:

Jun 3 2004: Motley Crue 'Greatest Hits' (Hip-O)

Aug 21 2004: John Fogerty 'Deja Vu All Over Again' (Geffen)

Oct 11 2004: Bob Marley & The Wailers 'Burnin' (Island)

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
    Level
    Level completed: 94%, Points required for next Level: 60
    Overall activity: 45.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

might be best to add a word to the thread title: "NOT"

Level
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 158
    Overall activity: 35.0%
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

The Cars 5.1 mix on the DVD-A list is definitely real and it's fantastic. There are a bunch of references to it in the "Listening To Now" thread. Wonder how it escaped that vaults...

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star steelydave's Avatar
    Level
    Overall activity: 30.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranSocial25000 Experience PointsTagger Second Class
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry, but put me in the camp that thinks the Cars 5.1 is an amateur job. Instrument placements are really rudimentary, with the occasional clumsy panning effect. If you do a spectral analysis of it as well, the frequency response completely cuts off somewhere around 17kHz-18kHz which is a classic sign of a lossy source.

Given that all the songs from that album are available as Rock Band or Guitar Hero stems, I think it's more than likely that someone tried to do a 5.1 mix from them and pass it off as the shelved DVD-A mix.

8. Likes quicksrt, timbre4 liked this post
    Level
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by steelydave View Post
    Sorry, but put me in the camp that thinks the Cars 5.1 is an amateur job. Instrument placements are really rudimentary, with the occasional clumsy panning effect. If you do a spectral analysis of it as well, the frequency response completely cuts off somewhere around 17kHz-18kHz which is a classic sign of a lossy source.

Given that all the songs from that album are available as Rock Band or Guitar Hero stems, I think it's more than likely that someone tried to do a 5.1 mix from them and pass it off as the shelved DVD-A mix.
    To each his own. The Cars S/T is one of my favorite albums and IMO the mix is a lot better than many legit 5.1 mixes commissioned by Warner for DVD-A.

Nothing wrong with a good fan effort in my book...Skherbeck's 5.1 versions of the entire Boston album and Led Zep's "What Is And What Should Never Be" are a blast to listen to.
    Last edited by sjcorne; 11-14-2017 at 07:59 PM.

10. Thanks skherbeck thanked for this post
    Likes skherbeck, timbre4 liked this post
    Level
    Overall activity: 51.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdriveSocial50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fizzywiggs41 View Post
    Stevie Ray Vaughn, Miles Davis, Kansas , etc . At least we know they likely have them in MC 5.1 (and quad) in their vault.
    Not necessarily. It just tells you they were titles being considered for release in 5.1 Surround SACD.

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star 4-earredwonder's Avatar
    Level
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 195
    Overall activity: 66.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive10000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bmoura View Post
    Not necessarily. It just tells you they were titles being considered for release in 5.1 Surround SACD.
    I agree that not all pre~announced SACD/DVD~A titles necessarily had already been remixed into 5.1, but I'm sure a number of those titles, were, in fact, remixed and awaiting release and then canned because of dreadful sales figures and/or artist rejection.

There just might be some test pressings of the pre~announced titles floating around. Would've loved to be a fly on the roll at the time of the DVD~A/SACD rollout. Minuscule ads in the major audio publications....no wonder those numbskulls failed. Apathy killed the Quadio star!

But of course, at the time, those of us heavily into surround had NO idea that plug would be so unceremoniously pulled. Hindsight IS 50~50!

I'm still to this day amazed that DVD, more than any other format, took off like a bullet out of the starting gate. UHD 4K, as far as I'm concerned, is DOA or at least struggling to co~exist with BD~V and even DVDs, the latter of which continues to be churned out and are sometimes even more expensive than BD~Vs.

Level
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 4-earredwonder View Post
    I agree that not all pre~announced SACD/DVD~A titles necessarily had already been remixed into 5.1, but I'm sure a number of those titles, were, in fact, remixed and awaiting release and then canned because of dreadful sales figures and/or artist rejection.
    Having chased down countless rumored 4 Channel and 5.1 Channel mixes with Audio Fidelity, I can say that most of the rumored Surround mixes that were announced ended up never being mixed into Surround.
    The ones that were are subject to the standard issues of artist approval, licensing fee requests, etc.

So I wouldn't get your hopes up too high on most of these announced Surround titles.

14. Thanks Clint Eastwood thanked for this post
    Likes Clint Eastwood liked this post
    1K Club - QQ Shooting Star 4-earredwonder's Avatar
    Level
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 195
    Overall activity: 66.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive10000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

Having chased down countless rumored 4 Channel and 5.1 Channel mixes with Audio Fidelity, I can say that most of the rumored Surround mixes that were announced ended up never being mixed into Surround.
    The ones that were are subject to the standard issues of artist approval, licensing fee requests, etc.

So I wouldn't get your hopes up too high on most of these announced Surround titles.
    I think with the UK laws being more amenable than US ones and considering Michael Dutton's rapport with SONY Music [among others], he could possibly license some of those existing pre~announced titles as more than a handful fit into D~V's targeted 'comfort zone.'

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star quicksrt's Avatar
    Level
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 194
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience PointsTagger Second Class
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sjcorne View Post
    To each his own (was just listening to America Homecoming). It's one of my favorite albums and IMO the mix is a lot better than many legit 5.1 mixes commissioned by Warner for DVD-A.

Nothing wrong with a good fan effort in my book...Skherbeck's 5.1 versions of the entire Boston album and Led Zep's "What Is And What Should Never Be" are a blast to listen to.
    Homecoming is not a fan effort, but was in fact a legit DVD-A release from Warners. Are you saying there was also a "fan" 5.1 mix which you rate better than other legit 5.1 mixes.

I missed your point there.

400 Club - QQ All Star
    Level
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 63
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by steelydave View Post
    "this thread" that I started! haha

I actually found an earlier thread with that list on QQ and it pours some cold water on it being an actual 'upcoming release' list, it sounds more like it was a label wish list. To quote MCunningham from that original 2002 thread:

Here's an archive.org Wayback Machine capture of the UMG Upcoming SACD list on April 6, 2004. Note the 6 Steely Dan SACD's listed as upcoming at the very bottom of the page. I think they disappeared by the summer of that year - I also remember The Killers 'Hot Fuss' being on that page for a while too.

ETA: captures from some other dates yield some interesting titles I'd forgotten about:

Jun 3 2004: Motley Crue 'Greatest Hits' (Hip-O)

Aug 21 2004: John Fogerty 'Deja Vu All Over Again' (Geffen)

Oct 11 2004: Bob Marley & The Wailers 'Burnin' (Island)
    I'm guessing the Motley Crue SACD would be the same mix as on the "Greatest Video Hits" DVD released around the same time, only at higher resolution...

Level
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by quicksrt View Post
    Homecoming is not a fan effort, but was in fact a legit DVD-A release from Warners. Are you saying there was also a "fan" 5.1 mix which you rate better than other legit 5.1 mixes.

I missed your point there.
    Yeah sorry...I probably shouldn't have put the Homecoming reference in there as it wasn't really funny. I had typed "to each his own" and remembered that was the name of one of the songs on that album, so thought it would be funny but it wasn't. I know Homecoming is an 100% real Elliot Scheiner 5.1 mix and it's one of my favorites.

My opinion was that the Cars 5.1, whether it is fan made or real, is better than some other Warner DVD-A mixes that were released, such as the 5.1 Machine Head or Billion Dollar Babies which sound more like "expanded stereo" to me.

19. Likes fizzywiggs41, fredblue liked this post
    Level
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Downloads
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh my, should of stated "possibly" .

Well we do know Miles Davis exists , and 2 SRV titles I'd seen as upcoming MC on a few sites back when , Kansas ??? Who knows .(the shadow I suppose)

Wonder if The Byrds-Fifth Dimension got the treatment ? Was on that Sony site for about a year ...right up to the time that site disappeared , not definitive but who knows ?

Any info regarding SACD titles that "you know definitely " don't exist , Brian ? ( Well Sony, of course )

21. Likes sjcorne, fredblue liked this post
    Level
    Overall activity: 52.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdriveCreated Album picturesSocial50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh my, should of stated "possibly" .

Well we do know Miles Davis exists , and 2 SRV titles I'd seen as upcoming MC on a few sites back when , Kansas ??? Who knows .(the shadow I suppose)

Wonder if The Byrds-Fifth Dimension got the treatment ? Was on that Sony site for about a year ...right up to the time that site disappeared , not definitive but who knows ?

Any info regarding SACD titles that "you know definitely " don't exist , Brian ? ( Well Sony, of course )
    Byrds' 5D and the SRV were afaik remixed into 5.1 by QQ Member ThomC (Thom Cadley)
    "Surround Sound From The End of the World to Your Town"
    829 SACD (680 MCh), 348 DVD-A, 298 SQ LP,
    138 CD-4, 133 Audio-DVD, 117 DualDisc, 113 BD-A,
    82 Q8, 79 DTS CD, 34 QS LP, 29 Dolby Surround CD,
    6 MultiCh DL

23. Thanks fizzywiggs41, DuncanS thanked for this post
    Likes sjcorne, fizzywiggs41, DuncanS liked this post
    Level
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Downloads
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fredblue View Post
    Byrds' 5D and the SRV were afaik remixed into 5.1 by QQ Member ThomC (Thom Cadley)
    Thanks , Fredderico .

Nice to know someone's on the ball.

25. Thanks fredblue thanked for this post
    Likes DuncanS, fredblue liked this post
    Level
    Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 29
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

I wonder if Mark Anderson--or anyone else--would be willing to draft a subsection of the "Rumored" page of his Popular Quad discography compiling titles that were definitely mixed...

27. Thanks fredblue thanked for this post
    Likes DuncanS, fredblue liked this post
    Level
    Overall activity: 52.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdriveCreated Album picturesSocial50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by humprof View Post
    I wonder if Mark Anderson--or anyone else--would be willing to draft a subsection of the "Rumored" page of his Popular Quad discography compiling titles that were definitely mixed...
    iirc the Byrds' mix was speculated upon to be possibly not the best ever due to limited multitracks at the remix engineer's disposal or something, may account for it never making it out i don't know..!?
    ..also I think an SRV v.v.briefly may have made it out but don't quote me on that, its past bedtime and I may have had one too many Smirnoff and 7Up's ce soir to be totally relied upon now
    "Surround Sound From The End of the World to Your Town"
    829 SACD (680 MCh), 348 DVD-A, 298 SQ LP,
    138 CD-4, 133 Audio-DVD, 117 DualDisc, 113 BD-A,
    82 Q8, 79 DTS CD, 34 QS LP, 29 Dolby Surround CD,
    6 MultiCh DL

29. Likes sjcorne liked this post
    Level
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

iirc the Byrds' mix was speculated upon to be possibly not the best ever due to limited multitracks at the remix engineer's disposal or something, may account for it never making it out i don't know..!?
    ..also I think an SRV v.v.briefly may have made it out but don't quote me on that, its past bedtime and I may have had one too many Smirnoff and 7Up's ce soir to be totally relied upon now
    That doesn't really surprise me...it is a pretty old album (1966). If it was released it might've been the oldest album to be mixed in surround. iirc Super Session & Child Is Father To The Man were each recorded a year or two later.

Come to think of it a lot of the mixes I've heard from this short-lived series of Single-Layer Multichannel SACDs from Sony aren't particularly impressive IMO.

The ones sourced from quad masters are fantastic- I have Head Hunters, Blow By Blow & Mysterious Traveller

Of the 5.1's I've got, a few are generally good but mixed rather conservatively (The BJs, JTs, Strange Beautiful Music). Toys In The Attic is probably the most adventurous new mix but I like the quad better. Tapestry never really impressed me, Agents Of Fortune and the Oasis album are pretty bad, and Kind Of Blue & Time Out are essentially 3-channel. I'm probably forgetting others...

Haven't heard the rest, still looking for In A Silent Way, Gratitude, Blue Country Heart, and the two PIR quads.

So who knows...maybe some of these unreleased mixes weren't all that great. Remember these would've been from the same company that ignored the incredible quad versions of Bartok Concerto For Orchestra and the Chorus Line soundtrack...

31. Thanks fizzywiggs41 thanked for this post
    Likes ubertrout, fredblue, fizzywiggs41 liked this post
    Level
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Downloads
    Post Thanks / Like

Could be a case where a few were "partially" mixed , incomplete mixes.

Hell I aint picky--give me what you got Sony !!

--And that goes DOUBLE for UMG with say...AJA !! And the remaining "mixed" Dan's fwiw.

We know "Pretzel Logic " was completed , and either Royal Scam or Katie Lied but it gets a bit foggy there as to what Elliot Scheiner managed to mix from the Dan before UMG pulled the plug.
    (and of course ...Greg Penny's mixes of "Don't Shoot..", Blue Moves,..etc.fr ELTON JOHN)

33. Likes humprof, sjcorne liked this post
    Level
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Post Thanks / Like

Could be a case where a few were "partially" mixed.
    Yes, that has occurred as well.
    Most famously with the Thriller album by Michael Jackson. Where Jackson rejected the 5.1 mixes done by several different top recording engineers.

35. Thanks fizzywiggs41, Clint Eastwood thanked for this post
    Likes Clint Eastwood, sjcorne liked this post
    Level
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Downloads
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sjcorne View Post
    That doesn't really surprise me...it is a pretty old album (1966). If it was released it might've been the oldest album to be mixed in surround. iirc Super Session & Child Is Father To The Man were each recorded a year or two later.

Come to think of it a lot of the mixes I've heard from this short-lived series of Single-Layer Multichannel SACDs from Sony aren't particularly impressive IMO.

The ones sourced from quad masters are fantastic- I have Head Hunters, Blow By Blow & Mysterious Traveller

Of the 5.1's I've got, a few are generally good but mixed rather conservatively (The BJs, JTs, Strange Beautiful Music). Toys In The Attic is probably the most adventurous new mix but I like the quad better. Tapestry never really impressed me, Agents Of Fortune and the Oasis album are pretty bad, and Kind Of Blue & Time Out are essentially 3-channel. I'm probably forgetting others...

Haven't heard the rest, still looking for In A Silent Way, Gratitude, Blue Country Heart, and the two PIR quads.

So who knows...maybe some of these unreleased mixes weren't all that great. Remember these would've been from the

same company that ignored the incredible quad versions of Bartok Concerto For Orchestra and the Chorus Line

soundtrack...

I have a few titles mixed in surround fr '66 or prior, fwiw.

4 Dylan's !! Other Side Of The Mirror -DVD (64,65,66), and Live in NYC- SACD(64), Another Side Of -SACD (64), Bringing It All Back Home- SACD(65), Blonde On Blonde -SACD (66) .

Donavon-Fairytale DVDA(65)-weak surround though. And there are Beatles (DVD, DVDA, BD) mixes fr 64 upwards , possibly
    63 as well.

There are not very many though. And some better than others . The earliest surround I think is the SACD of Art Tatum (1949 plus) piano works.

https://www.amazon.ca/Live-Shrine-St.../dp/B0017R1E5K

37. Thanks Clint Eastwood thanked for this post
    Likes Clint Eastwood, sjcorne liked this post
    Level
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

We know "Pretzel Logic " was completed , and either Royal Scam or Katy Lied but it gets a bit foggy there as to what Elliot Scheiner managed to mix from the Dan before UMG pulled the plug.
    Pretzel Logic's 45th is in 2019 I think...there's really no reason they can't just throw the 5.1 in a mega box set and finally end all the speculation. I wouldn't even care if it was a Dolby-encoded DVD.

But that's another conversation for another thread I suppose...

39. Thanks fizzywiggs41, skherbeck thanked for this post
    Likes skherbeck liked this post
    Level
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Downloads
    Post Thanks / Like

Actually I'm hoping for a "small " box with Pretzel's and Pretzel.

Big box of all 5.1 STEELY DAN'S would be way cool , though.

41. Likes humprof liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12