2002 SACD Catalog with Kansas Leftoverture listed as coming soon

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for this catalogue fr 02 jsalzinger . .:D

I suppose it does not have "The Byrds-Fifth Dimension " MC SACD or does it ? Perhaps it was listed later as I remember see it on the Sony Sacd listing (possibly 03/04 ?), along with the Dylan 64 NY concert .
Such promise of great MC SACD'S to come back then.

Stevie Ray Vaughn, Miles Davis, Kansas , etc . At least we know they likely have them in MC 5.1 (and quad) in their vault. (y)

The online site I used to visit quite frequently back then was Universal's. Would be cool if someone could toss up a copy of promised titles in MC that site pictured fr 03/04 before it vapourized .

Notably it had all the MCA (SIX titles in total) of Steely Dan MC SACD'S fr the 70's and Aja fr the 80's and John Fogerty's-Deja Vu Again MC SACD ....all as upcoming releases .

:D

Fizzywigs, do you have the exact URL? You could try archive.org's "Wayback Machine":

http://archive.org/web/

Thanks for this catalogue fr 02 jsalzinger . .:D

I suppose it does not have "The Byrds-Fifth Dimension " MC SACD or does it ? Perhaps it was listed later as I remember see it on the Sony Sacd listing (possibly 03/04 ?), along with the Dylan 64 NY concert .
Such promise of great MC SACD'S to come back then.

Stevie Ray Vaughn, Miles Davis, Kansas , etc . At least we know they likely have them in MC 5.1 (and quad) in their vault. (y)

The online site I used to visit quite frequently back then was Universal's. Would be cool if someone could toss up a copy of promised titles in MC that site pictured fr 03/04 before it vapourized .

Notably it had all the MCA (SIX titles in total) of Steely Dan MC SACD'S fr the 70's and Aja fr the 80's and John Fogerty's-Deja Vu Again MC SACD ....all as upcoming releases .

:D

A DVD-A list is in this thread.

"this thread" that I started! haha :D

I actually found an earlier thread with that list on QQ and it pours some cold water on it being an actual 'upcoming release' list, it sounds more like it was a label wish list. To quote MCunningham from that original 2002 thread:

DVD-Forum Schweiz

I wouldn't get excited just yet. This list has been on their site since the beginning of last year. The list consists of titles that were mentioned in passing by Warner as possible future projects back when the format was just beginning it's launch. A few have actually appeared, but for the most part, it basically remains a wish list. The owner of the site has continued to add titles to the list as they've been announced, Linkin Park: Reanimation, Alanis Morissette: Under Rug Swept, etc. along with most of the titles that have since been announced. They were not on the list originally.

Here's an archive.org Wayback Machine capture of the UMG Upcoming SACD list on April 6, 2004. Note the 6 Steely Dan SACD's listed as upcoming at the very bottom of the page. I think they disappeared by the summer of that year - I also remember The Killers 'Hot Fuss' being on that page for a while too.

ETA: captures from some other dates yield some interesting titles I'd forgotten about:

Jun 3 2004: Motley Crue 'Greatest Hits' (Hip-O)

Aug 21 2004: John Fogerty 'Deja Vu All Over Again' (Geffen)

Oct 11 2004: Bob Marley & The Wailers 'Burnin' (Island)

The Cars 5.1 mix on the DVD-A list is definitely real and it's fantastic. There are a bunch of references to it in the "Listening To Now" thread. Wonder how it escaped that vaults...

Sorry, but put me in the camp that thinks the Cars 5.1 is an amateur job. Instrument placements are really rudimentary, with the occasional clumsy panning effect. If you do a spectral analysis of it as well, the frequency response completely cuts off somewhere around 17kHz-18kHz which is a classic sign of a lossy source.

Given that all the songs from that album are available as Rock Band or Guitar Hero stems, I think it's more than likely that someone tried to do a 5.1 mix from them and pass it off as the shelved DVD-A mix.

Sorry, but put me in the camp that thinks the Cars 5.1 is an amateur job. Instrument placements are really rudimentary, with the occasional clumsy panning effect. If you do a spectral analysis of it as well, the frequency response completely cuts off somewhere around 17kHz-18kHz which is a classic sign of a lossy source.

Given that all the songs from that album are available as Rock Band or Guitar Hero stems, I think it's more than likely that someone tried to do a 5.1 mix from them and pass it off as the shelved DVD-A mix.

To each his own. The Cars S/T is one of my favorite albums and IMO the mix is a lot better than many legit 5.1 mixes commissioned by Warner for DVD-A.

Nothing wrong with a good fan effort in my book...Skherbeck's 5.1 versions of the entire Boston album and Led Zep's "What Is And What Should Never Be" are a blast to listen to.

Last edited:
Not necessarily. It just tells you they were titles being considered for release in 5.1 Surround SACD.

I agree that not all pre~announced SACD/DVD~A titles necessarily had already been remixed into 5.1, but I'm sure a number of those titles, were, in fact, remixed and awaiting release and then canned because of dreadful sales figures and/or artist rejection.

There just might be some test pressings of the pre~announced titles floating around. Would've loved to be a fly on the roll at the time of the DVD~A/SACD rollout. Minuscule ads in the major audio publications....no wonder those numbskulls failed. Apathy killed the Quadio star!

But of course, at the time, those of us heavily into surround had NO idea that plug would be so unceremoniously pulled. Hindsight IS 50~50!

I'm still to this day amazed that DVD, more than any other format, took off like a bullet out of the starting gate. UHD 4K, as far as I'm concerned, is DOA or at least struggling to co~exist with BD~V and even DVDs, the latter of which continues to be churned out and are sometimes even more expensive than BD~Vs.:yikes

I agree that not all pre~announced SACD/DVD~A titles necessarily had already been remixed into 5.1, but I'm sure a number of those titles, were, in fact, remixed and awaiting release and then canned because of dreadful sales figures and/or artist rejection.

Having chased down countless rumored 4 Channel and 5.1 Channel mixes with Audio Fidelity, I can say that most of the rumored Surround mixes that were announced ended up never being mixed into Surround.
The ones that were are subject to the standard issues of artist approval, licensing fee requests, etc.

So I wouldn't get your hopes up too high on most of these announced Surround titles.

Having chased down countless rumored 4 Channel and 5.1 Channel mixes with Audio Fidelity, I can say that most of the rumored Surround mixes that were announced ended up never being mixed into Surround.
The ones that were are subject to the standard issues of artist approval, licensing fee requests, etc.

So I wouldn't get your hopes up too high on most of these announced Surround titles.

I think with the UK laws being more amenable than US ones and considering Michael Dutton's rapport with SONY Music [among others], he could possibly license some of those existing pre~announced titles as more than a handful fit into D~V's targeted 'comfort zone.'

To each his own (was just listening to America Homecoming). It's one of my favorite albums and IMO the mix is a lot better than many legit 5.1 mixes commissioned by Warner for DVD-A.

Nothing wrong with a good fan effort in my book...Skherbeck's 5.1 versions of the entire Boston album and Led Zep's "What Is And What Should Never Be" are a blast to listen to.

Homecoming is not a fan effort, but was in fact a legit DVD-A release from Warners. Are you saying there was also a "fan" 5.1 mix which you rate better than other legit 5.1 mixes.

I missed your point there.

"this thread" that I started! haha :D

I actually found an earlier thread with that list on QQ and it pours some cold water on it being an actual 'upcoming release' list, it sounds more like it was a label wish list. To quote MCunningham from that original 2002 thread:

Here's an archive.org Wayback Machine capture of the UMG Upcoming SACD list on April 6, 2004. Note the 6 Steely Dan SACD's listed as upcoming at the very bottom of the page. I think they disappeared by the summer of that year - I also remember The Killers 'Hot Fuss' being on that page for a while too.

ETA: captures from some other dates yield some interesting titles I'd forgotten about:

Jun 3 2004: Motley Crue 'Greatest Hits' (Hip-O)

Aug 21 2004: John Fogerty 'Deja Vu All Over Again' (Geffen)

Oct 11 2004: Bob Marley & The Wailers 'Burnin' (Island)

I'm guessing the Motley Crue SACD would be the same mix as on the "Greatest Video Hits" DVD released around the same time, only at higher resolution...

Homecoming is not a fan effort, but was in fact a legit DVD-A release from Warners. Are you saying there was also a "fan" 5.1 mix which you rate better than other legit 5.1 mixes.

I missed your point there.

Yeah sorry...I probably shouldn't have put the Homecoming reference in there as it wasn't really funny. I had typed "to each his own" and remembered that was the name of one of the songs on that album, so thought it would be funny but it wasn't. I know Homecoming is an 100% real Elliot Scheiner 5.1 mix and it's one of my favorites.

My opinion was that the Cars 5.1, whether it is fan made or real, is better than some other Warner DVD-A mixes that were released, such as the 5.1 Machine Head or Billion Dollar Babies which sound more like "expanded stereo" to me.

Not necessarily. It just tells you they were titles being considered for release in 5.1 Surround SACD.

Oh my, should of stated "possibly" .

Well we do know Miles Davis exists , and 2 SRV titles I'd seen as upcoming MC on a few sites back when , Kansas ??? Who knows .(the shadow I suppose) :)

Wonder if The Byrds-Fifth Dimension got the treatment ? Was on that Sony site for about a year ...right up to the time that site disappeared , not definitive but who knows ?

Any info regarding SACD titles that "you know definitely " don't exist , Brian ? :D ( Well Sony, of course )

Back