Multichannel Test Files (FLAC) with various channels/sample rates

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HomerJAU

Moderator: MCH Media Players
Staff member
I've been checking out compatibility of various MCH playback devices and thought I'd share these MCH FLAC test files.

There's 3 sets based on sample rates (44/16, 48/24 and 96/24). Each set contains a quad (4.0), 5.1, 5.0 and 7.1 channel test flac. Its not music its just a voice naming each channel in turn.

I used all these yesterday to test a Car Audio System (Meridian Surround System 825 which comes in various Land Rover and Jaguar vehicles). All played successfully with correct channel assignments.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dWB93rzbd3tuHckQH8ZisnJd7NDgApoe/view?usp=sharing

Last edited:
I updated the Multichannel Test Files zip today to include 7.1 test FLACs for 48/24 and 96/24 (same link in first post).

The interesting thing is that it showed me 7.1 on a 5.1 system combines left rear/side surrounds into a single left side channel on decode (same with right). So people with a 7.1 FLAC won't lose and channel info when played back on a 5.1 system!

Here are the Dolby Atmos Channel Test files from an official Dolby Atmos Demo Disc. Each file contains a 10 sec discrete signal to each channel in turn:

AtmosTestFiles - Google Drive

drive.google.com
drive.google.com

DISCLAIMER: Fair use is claimed on all test files, as their purpose is only for the promotion of Dolby Atmos music, testing and technical evaluation for our members.

I've been checking out compatibility of various MCH playback devices and thought I'd share these MCH FLAC test files.

There's 3 sets based on sample rates (44/16, 48/24 and 96/24). Each set contains a quad (4.0), 5.1, 5.0 and 7.1 channel test flac. Its not music its just a voice naming each channel in turn.

I used all these yesterday to test a Car Audio System (Meridian Surround System 825 which comes in various Land Rover and Jaguar vehicles). All played successfully with correct channel assignments.

So did you test them in the Land Rover or the Jaguar? j/k

Yes. All played perfectly including 7.1 (nothing missing).

Unfortunately, they don't play in my new Ford Next Gen Everest I'm picking up in about 3 weeks. I tested in a couple of dealer demo vehicles. None of the new Ford Sync 4 audio system play mch flac (Mustang, Ranger, etc). I contacted Ford support but they won't talk to me until I actually take delivery!

https://www.ford.com.au/showroom/future-vehicle/next-gen-everest/sport/

Unfortunately, they don't play in my new Ford Next Gen Everest I'm picking up in about 3 weeks. I tested in a couple of dealer demo vehicles. None of the new Ford Sync 4 audio system play mch flac (Mustang, Ranger, etc). I contacted Ford support but they won't talk to me until I actually take delivery!

I know Chevy used to make cars in Aus. They put a LS1 in one of their cars pretty early on in the LS series of engines. Do they make Fords there as well?

I used to be in touch with some guys down under that raced, but it's been years now. We were all owners of Chevy's with LS engines. I had a Z28, don't remember the model of the Aussie cars anymore.

They closed the AU Ford plant near me in Melbourne a few years back but they still have a Design Centre here. The next-Gen Ranger and Everest where fully designed here.

Apparently Ford US gave the AU team the brief to completely redesign a new 4x4 to compete with Toyota Landcruiser (market leader here and in many countries) with best in class tech and ‘luxury’ interior.

I heard this story: AU went to US HQ and said they wanted hydraulic engine mounts (best comfort). HQ said ‘No too expensive’. AU built 2 prototypes 1 without and 1 with hydraulic mounts. US were asked to test drive both. Verdict: Go ahead with the hydraulic mounts!

Edit: The sad story is I met a few of the Ford Design team here at my father-in-law's cousins son funeral a couple years back. He worked there and had brain cancer, died at age 30. They all drove brand new Mustang’s to the service in convoy. Must have been around 20 of them! I heard recently Ford paid out his wife’s home mortgage. What a beautiful thing to do!

Last edited:
They closed the AU Ford plant near me in Melbourne a few years back but they still have a Design Centre here. The next-Gen Ranger and Everest where fully designed here.

Apparently Ford US gave the AU team the brief to completely redesign a new 4x4 to compete with Toyota Landcruiser (market leader here and in many countries) with best in class tech and ‘luxury’ interior.

I heard this story: AU went to US HQ and said they wanted hydraulic engine mounts (best comfort). HQ said ‘No too expensive’. AU built 2 prototypes 1 without and 1 with hydraulic mounts. US were asked to test drive both. Verdict: Go ahead with the hydraulic mounts!

Edit: The sad story is I met a few of the Ford Design team here at my father-in-law's cousins son funeral a couple years back. He worked there and had brain cancer, died at age 30. They all drove brand new Mustang’s to the service in convoy. Must have been around 20 of them! I heard recently Ford paid out his wife’s home mortgage. What a beautiful thing to do!
So cool, on several fronts. We have a 1996 Ranger with the Japanese engine, (I guess) 4 cyl, with two spark plugs per cyl and separate ignition systems for each set. Unknown mileage since the odometer quit at a little over 100,000 miles a few decades ago. 5 speed stick. Still runs great. Would love to have a new one though.

The Toyota 4 wheel drive trucks, at least the ones in the late 70's/early 80's would hardly pull themselves along. We were on a beach near Melbourne, Florida in my neighbors' brand new Toy truck, kicked back with a few cold snacks, when the tide started coming in and we had to make it up the bank. The Toyota would hardly pull on the wet sand beach! He could not get it up the bank. So I hopped in the drivers seat, backed up a ways and went full throttle and cut up the bank at angle like Bristol Motor Speedway curves and barely made it. The next week when he wanted to go "mud bogging" I just laughed at him and said no thanks. He did go, had to walk out and call for help after he got stuck. lol. Just no power, at least then, and the end drive ratio was too high for the anemic engines.

Thankyou !

I updated the Multichannel Test Files zip today to include 7.1 test FLACs for 48/24 and 96/24 (same link in first post).

The interesting thing is that it showed me 7.1 on a 5.1 system combines left rear/side surrounds into a single left side channel on decode (same with right). So people with a 7.1 FLAC won't lose and channel info when played back on a 5.1 system!
I think you meant that the 7.1 side and rear chans were combined to the respective rear (surrounds), as 5.1 array does not have "side" channels. But anyway, I hope my 5.1 reads 7.1 (and plays) material the same.

Thanks for the files, very helpful, especially if we sense things are not quite right.

My wife and me are also Ford customers. We recently bought a PUMA for her and a KUGA (Escape in other countries) for me:

Ford Kuga – SUV híbrido enchufable (PHEV) | Ford ES

The Ford Kuga is manufactured here in Spain, so I got it quickly, still during the microchip shortage.

It has Sync 3, I choosed the top level audio system than can go in that model, of course only stereo. But with the several speakers (a small SUB), the audio option of "surround" (?), and tweaking a little the EQ, it sounds quite acceptable.

I think you meant that the 7.1 side and rear chans were combined to the respective rear (surrounds), as 5.1 array does not have "side" channels. But anyway, I hope my 5.1 reads 7.1 (and plays) material the same.

Thanks for the files, very helpful, especially if we sense things are not quite right.
5.1 surround sound channels are often referred to as "sides" and many people place them on the sides, slightly behind the sweet spot.

Only my personal experience but I've never heard anyone refer to them as "sides", only "rears" or "surrounds" (referring to 5.1 configs only).
Don't know what to tell you other than do a simple google search for images of 5.1 side speaker's configurations. Like this.

Back