"Fleetwood Mac" (1975 S/T Album) Deluxe Edition with 5.1 surround DVD!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To my ears Mirage is a far superior mix. I wish they would redo Rumours as nicely (though I certainly don't expect it to happen).

Far superior in what respect? This isn't how I remember them. I have always liked the Rumours mix better. Gives me a good reason to revisit these later tonight...

To my ears Mirage is a far superior mix. I wish they would redo Rumours as nicely (though I certainly don't expect it to happen).

Yeah, I agree with himey. “Mirage” is very inconsistent, and it’s my least favorite Fleetwood Mac 5.1 mix.

Yeah, I agree with himey. “Mirage” is very inconsistent, and it’s my least favorite Fleetwood Mac 5.1 mix.

Some song mixes on Mirage equal Rumours best ones, but your exactly right, some don't. Glad to have both. I would put Tusk in the middle and maybe closer to Rumours in brilliance. Splitting hairs a bit on my end but "far superior" on any of them is a reach and the only reason I had to comment.

Far superior in what respect? This isn't how I remember them. I have always liked the Rumours mix better. Gives me a good reason to revisit these later tonight...

For me it's primarily the fact that so many of the Rumours lead vocals are all channels. I really prefer the mixes that place the vocals discretely as opposed to just trying to make them big by putting them in the center of the room. Of course that is personal preference, but aren't all mixing decisions really?

For me it's primarily the fact that so many of the Rumours lead vocals are all channels. I really prefer the mixes that place the vocals discretely as opposed to just trying to make them big by putting them in the center of the room. Of course that is personal preference, but aren't all mixing decisions really?
I agree with you on this! This is probably why I have never considered Rumours beeing a good 5.1-release. I definitely do not want the lead vocals spread to the rears. Always surprised me when i heard from many that they think this is a stellar multichannel release.

There is no doubt everyone has their preferences. I like it both ways. I mean, it depends on the music I suppose. I can think of times when I have thought the vocals are too damn loud coming from center. Typically, I feel this way if the other channels are not equally active. Seldom, am I not happy with an immersive mix that has superior fidelity though. That last scenario for me is like a warm blanket on a cold night.

I'm pretty sure this Fleetwood Mac is going to be a homerun for me. I honestly think it will be more along the lines of immersive, with superior fidelity. I can work with that. :) And, well, I love the music. Win/win for me...

Maybe we have just been spoiled by SW mixes? I do love how he places the vocals in the ELP surrounds mid-channel, although I've seen postings where others have not!

I look at surround mixes much differently these days...I don't "break them down" into segments(from each individual speaker)...which is how a lot of people evaluate them as being discrete...or not....I listen to the "whole"...the sum of all the parts...not individual segments...I often hear the complaints/observations about this instrument being here...or that instrument is in the wrong location....to me that is the clinical approach...I employ more of an artistic approach....how does it blend in and mesh with the general sound of the original version of the music being transformed to surround....the biggest area where people have complaints/objections is that the surround mix isn't aggressive enough...and sometimes the band doesn't want it too far from the original sound...and I used to "bristle" at that notion when I first got involved in surround music..I wanted sounds zooming all over the place and bouncing all over the place...and some titles(like Queen) sound great that way....but the more I listened to this music.... the more I understood the concerns of some of these bands...so when Sgt. Peppers wasn't like Love...it didn't bother me...I get it...the band's viewpoint...what I hear on Sgt Peppers is the music I recognize from my youth...not some adaptation....and when I listen to Love...I enjoy it...... but it doesn't have an identity...it's just some random songs....I imagine Pink Floyd felt the same way when they opted to not use the Quad mix...they wanted it as close to what they had created...

I love the Steven Wilson mixes...but the primary reason I like them isn't because they are discrete...it's because he "cleans" up the music...what used to be "muddy" is now clear...of course part of that is because there is more separation with instrumentation...which is part of being discrete....a friend of mine is a part time musician....he used to live in Woodstock New York and was friends with some of the guys in The Band...and he sat in with them sometimes...I have tried to convince him to get involved with surround music and he just won't do it...his reason is that he want's to hear the music just like he heard it "back in the day"...distortion and all....he says that's part of it's DNA...

Everybody has their own preference and tastes...music is so subjective...there is no right or wrong answer...one man's stellar mix is another man's bane of existence..but I have to admit to this transformation/understanding of the "not so aggressive" mixes and I now embrace them...I like the Fleetwood Mac mixes...maybe I couldn't have said that 3 or 4 years ago...and now instead of sitting there looking for all the faults in the mix... I just close my eyes and drift back to another time and enjoy the music...

so when Sgt. Peppers wasn't like Love...it didn't bother me...I get it...the band's viewpoint...

How can you cite the band's viewpoint when half of them are dead and the other half had only a cursory involvement if any at all? Couldn't someone just as easily argue "the band's viewpoint" would be an aggressive mix from Lennon legends such as wanting to DI his vocals or McCartney saying he wanted things to sound as crazy as possible, or more importantly from the groundbreaking work they had done up to that time? "Tomorrow Never Knows" was hardly conservative.

How can you cite the band's viewpoint when half of them are dead and the other half had only a cursory involvement if any at all? Couldn't someone just as easily argue "the band's viewpoint" would be an aggressive mix from Lennon legends such as wanting to DI his vocals or McCartney saying he wanted things to sound as crazy as possible, or more importantly from the groundbreaking work they had done up to that time? "Tomorrow Never Knows" was hardly conservative.

When I said.." the band's viewpoint"..I wasn't talking specifically about the Beatles...just bands in general..

I don't get that impression of the vocals coming from everywhere on my setup listening to Rumours. That would make me not like it too. I listened to all three of them last night and they all sound really good.

That's the only reason I purchased that Acura disc...to get that one song:)

That and because it includes a high resolution version of Steve Miller's track "Fly Like an Eagle". Really good news that we're finally getting the whole album in surround.

Last edited:
I don't get that impression of the vocals coming from everywhere on my setup listening to Rumours. That would make me not like it too. I listened to all three of them last night and they all sound really good.

It was one of the first things I listened to once I got my setup. Maybe I hadn't properly fine tuned it yet. I'll try to give another listen and report back with more specifics.

It was one of the first things I listened to once I got my setup. Maybe I hadn't properly fine tuned it yet. I'll try to give another listen and report back with more specifics.

There are a few songs with vocals in the front and rears after further review. Never noticed it before. Changes things up and doesn't bother me, but there is definitely a few mixed like that.

There are a few songs with vocals in the front and rears after further review. Never noticed it before. Changes things up and doesn't bother me, but there is definitely a few mixed like that.

Glad it's not just me (and the other poster above). I find it quite distracting.

I don't know if you are a Temple of the Dog fan, but the recent Blu-Ray was ruined for me by putting Cornell's vocal front center and Vedder's in both rear speakers. It made Vedders vocal sound much larger than Cornell's. It is a duet and I like the front/rear thing in this instance, but if they were going to have Eddie in both rears, they should have put Chris in both fronts instead of in the center. It's not so much about placement as it is about size. I also felt the same way about Rush - Moving Pictures.

BTW, love your avatar.

Ordered, but it looks like it might ship out after Baggy ships out to you-know-where.
:(
If anybody gets an "advance copy" can you kindly consider hooking a brother up?

Sent from my TA-1025 using Tapatalk

Back