"Fleetwood Mac" (1975 S/T Album) Deluxe Edition with 5.1 surround DVD!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't see any issue here. He likes this release, and also hopes for a stand alone Blu-ray.

I also hope for a stand-alone blu-ray.

I get sick of spending money over and over on the same releases because they have improved sound...Yes, sick as a kid who eats too much candy on Halloween!!! :banana::banana::banana:

If I can get an improved version of a beloved title, then I am all for it. I think of all the money I've spent on stuff that I never listen to...money I would rather have spent on improved reissue number 10 or whatever on one of my all-time favorites. Others feel differently, but:

I want the Bluray!
I want the Bluray!
I want the Bluray!
I want the Bluray!...

I fear that if ForagingRhino does eventually read this thread he will think we're just a bunch of old yenta's.

Oh wait.............................:yikes

Well you know what Jon...when he's not the public face of his corporation...he's probably just like us...well maybe not like Snood:ugham:...just a passionate music lover who was lucky enough to be able to work in the music biz:banana:

As others have said an enjoyable 5.1 mix let down only by the audio choice.
Never owned the album until now but it's amazing how much of this album I know.
Also a relative bargain against the Roxy set with a similar amount of bonus content you have to wonder who was driving the price of that set.

Great fun album

I get sick of spending money over and over on the same releases because they have improved sound...Yes, sick as a kid who eats too much candy on Halloween!!! :banana::banana::banana:

If I can get an improved version of a beloved title, then I am all for it. I think of all the money I've spent on stuff that I never listen to...money I would rather have spent on improved reissue number 10 or whatever on one of my all-time favorites. Others feel differently, but:

I want the Bluray!
I want the Bluray!
I want the Bluray!
I want the Bluray!...

Your last mantra holds true with a lot of those fancy box sets with the lossy surround MUZAK [real music isn't lossy]. IF ONLY the artists and music execs saw it that way. Are they making us suffer just to attain the 5.1 remix? IMO, yes. I would've purchased almost every surround mix contained in these pricey boxsets if they were separate from the package...and in a LOSSLESS format!

Oh well, maybe in another lifetime!

I want the Bluray!
I want the Bluray!
I want the Bluray!
I want the Bluray!...

To be honest, the "criticism"/questions/humour, whatever, are fair points! ;) :) I am a big boy, I can take the criticism (if that's what it was, it's not clear if it really was, or a joke (or perhaps a bit of both)) :) . Of course, buying clothing I really couldn't give much of a toss about, I would never feel compelled to get gouged similarly for clothing, but I seem to be less than average on that front, when I look around. However, good music I *am* a sucker for, and really struggle with not buying something I like/want, if it's clearly a rip off (like the Pink Floyd early years box set, when all I wanted was the Meddle 96/24 2.0 and more so, the 5.1). I didn't end up purchasing the full box set, but the individual BluRay, when it later came out, and when it turned out they had removed the "hidden" 96/24 5.1, I "acquired it" elsewhere instead... (but I digress).

Of course I don't actually hope for this kind of behaviour (price gouging via releasing an inferior version, wait a while and then release it again in higher quality), but, seeing as only the "inferior" is currently available, with no known likelihood of the "proper" higher quality release in the future, I bought what is available, and very much enjoy it.

However, it doesn't stop me being annoyed at this and if they were to release the proper version, life is too short to deny yourself the pleasure that can be derived from a great album (if that's what any particular title is to you), released in a great format, as surely a release of the 5.1 in 94/24 would be (based on the 96/24 2.0). Of course, it would depend on the price, but the likely price would likely not put me off (though I do shake my head at the current price of the Eagles Hotel California re-release of the existing 96/24 5.1 mix on Blu for the first time! :mad: (luckily, I already have an SACD rip of that! ; )).

Everything is a price/performance balance that is personal to each any every one of us (depends on how much you like the individual title, how much disposable income you have, what your overall spending priorities are). I have loved this album since I discovered Fleetwood Mac in the mid 80s, it's only slightly behind Rumours (which is my favourite) by a small margin, and was over the moon when this release was announced. I'm obviously less over the moon than I was, but as I said, it's a really nice mix and the overall sound quality is highly listenable, if not as good as it should/could be.

On another note, now I'm posting on here now (been a "long time reader"), does anybody on here know why rather than taking a chance with producing a run of potentially loss making DVD-A/SACD/BluRays, when a studio is already sitting on a completed mix (especially a 5.1 mix), like in this case, why they don't just make that available via the purchase/download sites, and not make a physical production run? Why do they not do that? Seems like a low-risk/cost approach where they could make money out of something they are currently making nothing out of, with little up-front costs (which is where the risk is).

Cheers,

Matt.

To be honest, the "criticism"/questions/humour, whatever, are fair points! ;) :) I am a big boy, I can take the criticism (if that's what it was, it's not clear if it really was, or a joke (or perhaps a bit of both)) :) . Of course, buying clothing I really couldn't give much of a toss about, I would never feel compelled to get gouged similarly for clothing, but I seem to be less than average on that front, when I look around. However, good music I *am* a sucker for, and really struggle with not buying something I like/want, if it's clearly a rip off (like the Pink Floyd early years box set, when all I wanted was the Meddle 96/24 2.0 and more so, the 5.1). I didn't end up purchasing the full box set, but the individual BluRay, when it later came out, and when it turned out they had removed the "hidden" 96/24 5.1, I "acquired it" elsewhere instead... (but I digress).

Of course I don't actually hope for this kind of behaviour (price gouging via releasing an inferior version, wait a while and then release it again in higher quality), but, seeing as only the "inferior" is currently available, with no known likelihood of the "proper" higher quality release in the future, I bought what is available, and very much enjoy it.

However, it doesn't stop me being annoyed at this and if they were to release the proper version, life is too short to deny yourself the pleasure that can be derived from a great album (if that's what any particular title is to you), released in a great format, as surely a release of the 5.1 in 94/24 would be (based on the 96/24 2.0). Of course, it would depend on the price, but the likely price would likely not put me off (though I do shake my head at the current price of the Eagles Hotel California re-release of the existing 96/24 5.1 mix on Blu for the first time! :mad: (luckily, I already have an SACD rip of that! ; )).

Everything is a price/performance balance that is personal to each any every one of us (depends on how much you like the individual title, how much disposable income you have, what your overall spending priorities are). I have loved this album since I discovered Fleetwood Mac in the mid 80s, it's only slightly behind Rumours (which is my favourite) by a small margin, and was over the moon when this release was announced. I'm obviously less over the moon than I was, but as I said, it's a really nice mix and the overall sound quality is highly listenable, if not as good as it should/could be.

On another note, now I'm posting on here now (been a "long time reader"), does anybody on here know why rather than taking a chance with producing a run of potentially loss making DVD-A/SACD/BluRays, when a studio is already sitting on a completed mix (especially a 5.1 mix), like in this case, why they don't just make that available via the purchase/download sites, and not make a physical production run? Why do they not do that? Seems like a low-risk/cost approach where they could make money out of something they are currently making nothing out of, with little up-front costs (which is where the risk is).

Cheers,

Matt.

Welcome to the forum Matt...great post:)...you raise some good points..but unfortunately...nobody here has the answers.. the music business isn't transparent...they don't provide us(the potential customers)with information about the products we would like to purchase....sometimes we find information on what happened to possible releases that never materialized...like this example...there are many moving parts to these releases...it's just not as easy as making a decision to go ahead with the project..so in the absence of real facts...we are left to wonder and speculate..and when some of these releases actually come to market..we probe and examine every aspect of said release...we make bold proclamations....and occasional astute observations while pontificating on that release and its relative standing in the history of music:violin...and then after a few weeks..another new release is on the horizon...so once again we must prepare ourselves...the talk begins...the hype ensues..the hunt for the coveted new release starts...searching for that right price and circumstance for each of us...weeks and months go by...more and more information about the upcoming release is revealed...speculation abounds...and finally the release is here and the cycle begins again...I'm glad you decided to take the next step from reader(lurker)to member...membership does have its privileges...especially on here..you will get to "converse with the diverse"...we have it all on here.... personality types A thru Z..and that's a good thing...you have the chance to develop friendships that will last a lifetime...and also find some music titles that you might not have known about if you continue to sit on the sidelines(reader/lurker)..

Again I welcome you:)

... when a studio is already sitting on a completed mix (especially a 5.1 mix), like in this case, why they don't just make that available via the purchase/download sites, and not make a physical production run? Why do they not do that? Seems like a low-risk/cost approach where they could make money out of something they are currently making nothing out of, with little up-front costs (which is where the risk is).

I wonder the same thing. With this FM set, even if they felt they HAD to release it on an optical format with vinyl and books, why not include an access code to get a lossless 5.1 version for those who care about it?

I can only come up with two reasons.

1. They plan to re-release a lossless version in the future in the hopes of generating more revenue (hard to believe considering all the talk about how stand alone releases don't make money.)

or

2. They are concerned with piracy issues. (I guess they think its a lot harder to steal off a disc than it is to steal off a download).

It would be nice if ForagingRhino would chime in here, even if it's just to say that a DVD with the DD 5.1 was the cheapest way and that was the only way the 5.1 was getting out, so we pretty much had to take it or leave it.

But I agree about the downloading. There are many ways today to legally get the stereo HiRez downloads of these albums (the Fleetwood Macs) and to me the potential for "sharing" stereo HiRez from places like HDTracks is far bigger than if a 5.1 HiRez download card was included with these box sets and we could get the audio that way. If the market for the 5.1 is so small that the labels don't see the need to spend the extra money for a BluRay, then hosting a HiRez download for a "limited time" would be the ideal solution for all involved.

Another example is the McCartney Deluxe versions of his albums. You not only get a card to download the HiRez audio, but you get it two ways, compressed and uncompressed. I don't think they were worried about piracy with this stuff, and this is Beatles related, which is a whole big market of its own. Way bigger than the 5.1 crowd is.

It would be nice if ForagingRhino would chime in here, even if it's just to say that a DVD with the DD 5.1 was the cheapest way and that was the only way the 5.1 was getting out, so we pretty much had to take it or leave it.

But I agree about the downloading. There are many ways today to legally get the stereo HiRez downloads of these albums (the Fleetwood Macs) and to me the potential for "sharing" stereo HiRez from places like HDTracks is far bigger than if a 5.1 HiRez download card was included with these box sets and we could get the audio that way. If the market for the 5.1 is so small that the labels don't see the need to spend the extra money for a BluRay, then hosting a HiRez download for a "limited time" would be the ideal solution for all involved.

Another example is the McCartney Deluxe versions of his albums. You not only get a card to download the HiRez audio, but you get it two ways, compressed and uncompressed. I don't think they were worried about piracy with this stuff, and this is Beatles related, which is a whole big market of its own. Way bigger than the 5.1 crowd is.

Yes, I am curious about many things as well, like why are the Fleetwood Mac releases on DVD, but Chicago, the Doors, and the Eagles are on Blu-Ray?
Was it simply to be consistent, because the “Rumours” box set contained a DVD-V disc?

IMO, all Rhino/Warner would have to do is up the price by 10 bucks on all the Fleet Mac boxsets......problem solved.

I paid only $55 delivered for FM and as stated before, that's what we paid for the Jeff Beck QUAD SACDs from Japan in the 7" packaging.

And I would GLADLY double dip if ALL the FM 5.1 remasters would be reissued in the future as bona fide 96/24 5.1 BD~As....and I trust I'm NOT alone! And then insert them in the boxsets in lieu of the LOSSY DVD~Vs.

Foraging Rhino: are you listening?

I have now enjoyed the excellent surround mix on this album and compared it to the 24/192 version that i have made an fake surround version of.
To have an nice discrete surround audio is of course the best one compared to an fake one but i can at the same time hear what is lacking in audio quality.
I couldn´t resist trying to mix the front and center channels from my surrogate version with the dvd version and maybe it is sounding a bit better than the dvd.
What i have gotten is an much clearer and deeper bass at the same time as the surround effects comes from the back speakers.
I might have to adjust the volumes to each other as the dvd is louder than the 24/192 files.
So far i have just done my experiments on Monday morning and i will continue with the rest of the album in case i feel that it is worth doing this.

As i said i am enjoying the dvd as it is despite the lack in audio quality.
It might be that there is no point in trying to create something that should have been done from the beginning.

Last edited:
Back