"Fleetwood Mac" (1975 S/T Album) Deluxe Edition with 5.1 surround DVD!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine just arrived fro Amazon UK via DHL Express! I didn't order courier shipping just the normal snail mail. Nice surprise

This sounds good on first listen, definitely discrete - just skipping through a few tracks after converting to flac:

Dynamic Range looks ok too:

foobar2000 1.3.17 / Dynamic Range Meter 1.1.1
log date: 2018-01-23 11:54:17

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Analyzed: Fleetwood Mac / Fleetwood Mac (ADVD)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DR Peak RMS Duration Track
DR11 0.00 dB -13.46 dB 2:49 01-Monday Monday
DR12 0.00 dB -13.88 dB 3:54 02-Warm Ways
DR10 0.00 dB -13.17 dB 2:50 03-Blue Letter
DR10 0.00 dB -12.32 dB 4:16 04-Rhiannon
DR10 0.00 dB -14.59 dB 3:14 05-Over My Head
DR12 0.00 dB -14.96 dB 5:15 06-Crystal
DR11 0.00 dB -13.80 dB 4:14 07-Say You Love Me
DR11 0.00 dB -14.60 dB 3:17 08-Landslide
DR12 0.00 dB -16.32 dB 6:17 09-World Turning
DR11 0.00 dB -12.88 dB 4:07 10-Sugar Daddy
DR10 0.00 dB -11.47 dB 4:28 11-I'm So Afraid

Number of tracks: 11
Official DR value: DR11

Samplerate: 48000 Hz
Channels: 6
Bits per sample: 24
Bitrate: 3994 kbps
Codec: FLAC
================================================================================

The DD bitrate is 448kbps (48/24) the above is after converting DD 48/24 to PCM/FLAC (converting from lossy)

foobar2000 1.3.17 / Dynamic Range Meter 1.1.1
log date: 2018-01-23 11:54:17

Analyzed: Fleetwood Mac / Fleetwood Mac (ADVD)

DR Peak RMS Duration Track
DR11 0.00 dB -13.46 dB 2:49 01-Monday Monday
DR12 0.00 dB -13.88 dB 3:54 02-Warm Ways
DR10 0.00 dB -13.17 dB 2:50 03-Blue Letter
DR10 0.00 dB -12.32 dB 4:16 04-Rhiannon
DR10 0.00 dB -14.59 dB 3:14 05-Over My Head
DR12 0.00 dB -14.96 dB 5:15 06-Crystal
DR11 0.00 dB -13.80 dB 4:14 07-Say You Love Me
DR11 0.00 dB -14.60 dB 3:17 08-Landslide
DR12 0.00 dB -16.32 dB 6:17 09-World Turning
DR11 0.00 dB -12.88 dB 4:07 10-Sugar Daddy
DR10 0.00 dB -11.47 dB 4:28 11-I'm So Afraid

Number of tracks: 11
Official DR value: DR11

Samplerate: 48000 Hz
Channels: 6
Bits per sample: 24
Bitrate: 3994 kbps
Codec: FLAC
================================================================================
It never ceases to amaze me how major label products make it through quality control with peaks at 0dBFS. In the real world of intersample peaks, that basically means clipping. Ugh.

Regarding the mastering- I've been checking out some files on my drive this afternoon and there are A LOT of good mixes with loud mastering that still sound good. I'm noticing that the ES-mixed Layla DTS DVD is totally smashed and a lot of the songs on the Talking Heads Brick are kind of on the loud side. It's also well-known that the two ES-mixed PT DVD-As (In Absentia, Deadwing) are really loud- so much so that SW wants to reissue them. Bon Jovi's Slippery When Wet is another serious offender when it comes to loudness.

I'm not sure if that Foobar waveform monitor component is a blessing or a curse- It's cool when the waveforms are super-discrete looking and mastered well (the SW stuff always looks particularly nice), but when they are too loud or the peaks are chopped off it's aggravating and/or distracting.

In every mix peaks are chopped!
Compressors, limiters!
Pretty usual!

b63007c459741482bdc372a6367858f0.jpg

I found this picture of the DVD screen in the “Listening To Now...” section and I’m pretty sure the layout is similar to the screen on the “Rumours” DVDA-V disc, once again reaffirming my suspicions that this is nothing more than the original DVD-V section of the unreleased DVDA-V disc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

there’s a review on amazon saying the CD in this set was from a planned 2004 release because it’s labeled “disc one” and there was no other cd in the 2004 set but this set has “disc two” so I think you’re right.

I didn't know this. I just assumed it would be the same mix. Does anyone know the full story here regarding the mixes?

Mixed by Ken Caillat.

the only question is when and why did ES only mix one song for acura and not the whole album?

What a waste of ES's talents that was.

Seems like rtbluray figured out that this mix was done for the ~2004(??) planned DVD-A but that DVD-A was never released so they released the audio only portion (DD 5.1) of the DVD-V portion of that DVD-A instead for this release which IMO is a downgrade which is what everyone is complaining about.

If you've got an mlp already mixed, why downgrade a release to DD??

cheap bastards, but that makes no sense it was already "in the can" so the "sunken cost fallacy" doesn't apply so I think they figure no one has mlp capability anymore (damn iPhone kiddies)

Shame, since Rumours mlp is almost the Gold Standard.

but this isn’t the same ES mix as the acura mix.

it isn't!? wow.. i didn't realise that! i only glanced briefly at the pic but from looking at Jon's waveforms of that track from the Acura DVD-A and the DVD in this new set the two looked pretty similar. I'll have to check that out, v.surprising but anything's possible of course!

EDIT: i just checked an old pic i took of the rear inlay of my Acura demo disc and it lists Ken Caillat as doing the "Monday Morning" Surround mix.

EDIT: Scans from Jon of the Acura package are here:

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...ery-(with-scans)&p=98859&viewfull=1#post98859

It never ceases to amaze me how major label products make it through quality control with peaks at 0dBFS. In the real world of intersample peaks, that basically means clipping. Ugh.

But worse, it means there wasn't sufficient headroom for the lossy conversion...

My understanding is that "Caillet " did the mix that's on the DVDA Acura Sampler.

And I do remember seeing a multitude of remix engineers on those Samplers...not just E.S. :D

on a separate note, I wish the Mods would marry up this thread with the other as they both relate...it's getting a bit silly . Just saying .:rolleyes:

My understanding is that "Caillet " did the mix that's on the DVDA Acura Sampler.

And I do remember seeing a multitude of remix engineers on those Samplers...not just E.S. :D

on a separate note, I wish the Mods would marry up this thread with the other as they both relate...it's getting a bit silly . Just saying .:rolleyes:

Correct, Caillat was credited for the Surround Mix on the Acura DVD-A (see Track 17).
FullSizeRender 8.jpg

The dvd disc "review" .

I only mention it Ryan because the vast majority of the posts concern the same thing as the review.:D

Do you mean the Poll thread?..I have a question about that...I can't access the Fleetwood Mac title in the poll threads by using the search feature in the poll area...I have to go "back door" thru someone's post to get there..it's there...but it looks like it wasn't fully implemented when it was set up..

The dvd disc "review" .

I only mention it Ryan because the vast majority of the posts concern the same thing as the review.:D

Absolutely not!
We never merge a pre-release thread (like this one) with a poll thread, especially since this one is already too long and convoluted as is.

Do you mean the Poll thread?..I have a question about that...I can't access the Fleetwood Mac title in the poll threads by using the search feature in the poll area...I have to go "back door" thru someone's post to get there..it's there...but it looks like it wasn't fully implemented when it was set up..
searching in the poll fprum works fine on my side. See attached picture for the result when I type in Fleetwood in the searchbox.

image.jpg

searching in the poll fprum works fine on my side. See attached picture for the result when I type in Fleetwood in the searchbox.

View attachment 31911

Not the poll "forum"... go to the tab at the top of this page(surround polls) and click on it and then use the search function under AUDIO DVDS/DTS- CDS and type in Fleetwood Mac and mirage and tusk are the only one's listed...

RIGHT HERE

Quickest search for polls is to go the the 'Surround Polls' (on page header), click the 'Index' tab, type in 'Flee'

All the matching polls are listed, click on the album name and it goes to the page.

Remember the latest FM release is not in the HighRes polls

Edit: Ok, you won't find the new release as the 'Surround Poll' page has not been updated since the new release. Hopefully when we get the new updated forum software we can get the Poll Index updated more easily.

Quickest search for polls is to go the the 'Surround Polls' (on page header), click the 'Index' tab, type in 'Flee'

All the matching polls are listed, click on the album name and it goes to the page.

Remember the latest FM release is not in the HighRes polls

That's what I did..clicked on the DVD-DTS-CD tab and mirage and tusk only came up...give it a try...

Back