"Fleetwood Mac" (1975 S/T Album) Deluxe Edition with 5.1 surround DVD!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine should be here tomorrow, prepping with a listen to all the FM in surround, now listening to Mirage (very good mix, not as good songwise as RM, Rumours or Tusk for me but it is a grower (y)), will even spin Tango in faux surround, just because I have to :)howl) silly twits surround is for FM!

Don‘t get angry, but only Dolby Digital 48khz.
But it‘s very good. Trust me.
Only the cymbals and hihat in one song are too sharp.

Bit disappointed as this was originally intended to be a lossless DVD-A, but will not cancel. I've waited too long to hear this mix.

Some other Dolby discs in my collection aren't bad at all. Steve Miller's Fly Like An Eagle and Duran Duran's Astronaut, to name two.

Should be interesting to compare the lossless "Monday Morning" from the Acura Sampler to the DD encode on this set...

The DVD-V portion of the original "Rumors" DVDA-V disc had Dolby audio only, so maybe they just took the DVD-V portion of the original (unreleased) DVDA-V disc for "Fleetwood Mac" and released that.
Either way, it's very disappointing that they chose to offer us only Dolby Digital audio on the DVD after both "Tusk" and "Mirage" had DTS audio and ESPECIALLY after Rhino has released such high quality Blu-Ray audio discs in the last few years ("Hotel California", "Best of the Doors", "Chicago Quadio", etc.)

(n) :( :violin :mad: :eek: :confused: :mad:@: :yikes :howl

Amazon UK just sent me shipping notification as well. However the UPS tracking site says "Your shipment has been flagged for review of the contents prior to export." What do they think is being smuggled inside a Fleetwood Mac box???

:yikes:yikes:yikes:yikes:yikes

I noticed that lately with orders from the UK...sometimes it will mention "dispute resovled"...or some other problem....in this case it could just be inspected to see if the contents are what they are supposed to be...I don't know if you ever send things in the US by Media Mail...if you do they are subject to inspection...the reason is that the Postal Service gives a lower rate to materials sent in this category...but some people had been sending things in which the contents are considered "first class" mail..like personal correspondence..to avoid paying the first class mail rates...I'm just guessing but maybe amazon gets a cheaper rate for sending sound and video recordings...like the US equivalent of Media Mail..and they are just trying to verify the contents..amazon must be getting some kind of discount to be able to send these items to the US so cheaply...of course there is the whole VAT situation...which I don't really know much about...

Since you mentioned mailing..I discovered something lately about the Postal Service in the US that has proved invaluable to me...it's called Informed Delivery...all you need to do is type in MY USPS or INFORMED DELIVERY in google or some search engine and it will take you to the USPS site...you can check to see if this service is available in your zip code...it's not available everywhere....but all you have to do is set up a USPS account....which is free...and then you can use this service...what it does is pretty cool...it will show you what should be delivered to your house each day..now this is only for letter size mail...and when I mean it will show you..it will display a photocopy scan of the mail piece...

The reason I'm so excited about this feature is that it's already paid dividends(slight pun involved)...on Tuesday I checked my dashboard on informed mail and noticed an important first class letter that I needed to file my annual income tax return was to be delivered that day....my regular letter carrier was on extended medical leave and they put a "rookie" on my mail route the day after a holiday...so the guy was confused and overloaded with mail...so I go to my box and the letter wasn't there...so I see the mail truck at my community office(I live in a complex with cluster mail slots)..so I get the mailman to come back to the cluster mail boxes and he found my letter...one slot above my mail receptacle...the big deal is that because I live in Florida...many of the resident here only live here part time...so it's possible this family wasn't even here now...my letter could have been there for months and I would have had to jump thru some hoops to get another copy for my records and in time to file my income tax...or worse yet the people might have just thrown it away...it's a large waterfront community and I didn't even know the people..

Aside from seeing an actual image of your letter sized mail...it also provides information about packages...no pictures...BUT...it does show the tracking of packages that are coming to you...and you don't even have to put in a tracking number...it detects the package in the mail stream...and this is handy for my music deliveries:)..right now I see my latest purchase from importcds heading my way...and I didn't have to go to importcds or add a tracking number...it is worth it for that feature alone..so you should check it out HERE

Great to know...content is king with me...my goal is to get the best available version of the material I like...Dolby Digital isn't a problem for me...when I put a higher priority on the delivery method than the actual music...that's when I will stop listening to music...if a CD has the best version...that is what I will purchase...I made a mistake when I first started in the hi rez hobby...I got rid of many of my CDs...I didn't sell them...I gave them away...thinking that this hi rez music would surpass any CD and I just didn't need them anymore...same with DVDs...gave a ton of them away when I converted to blu ray...at least I kept some of the DVD concerts...but sadly I gave some of them away too...but those were mistakes I made...thinking that every hi rez release would be better...and I found out the hard way that it wasn't true...24/96 isn't some magic wand that immediately makes music sound better...they have failures as well...and I didn't even know then about how compressed some of these titles were...at this stage I'm just glad to even get anything from bands from the 60's and 70's...especially when the so called experts keep insisting that disc media is dead...anyway...thanks for those comments IMachine:)

I hate to be anal but I currently have only my old ass Sony BD player, and it was one of the more expensive units then, fully capable of decoding 96/124, but will not do SACD, it will play my dvd audio discs in DD or DTs if capable, but I gotta say, I can tell the difference. I know, I'm far from normal or what one may consider 'normal" have been all my life! :confused: But! and I know about 'anal' comparison with other players
perhaps it may be my player? Who knows. But I am unable to listen to any of my dvd audio in DD or DTS. Funny thing is: My DTS and other dvd music sound ok! I have there fore come to the conclusion that it's true all my ex said about me is true. And I could care less!:smoking (Even though it was mostly true! ) :spot

Dolby Digital 5.1 at best.. haha.. too late to cancel now, Amazon just emailed to say its on the way.. I'm just gonna enjoy this for what it is = getting to hear a surround music mix I've been waiting and hoping to hear for years and years.

thanks IMachine for the advance info (if not the "advanced resolution" info some of us were maybe hoping for!) ;) :upthumb

Disappointed? Mildly. Cancelling? No. Just as Clint, content is the foremost priority for me followed by surround. I am happy as a clam listening to many DTS conversions from Q8 tapes when it is the only way I will ever hear them. There are many BluRay music discs that I would never drop a penny on or ever listen to. What is this, The Hi-Rez Forum? :yikes

I get not supporting DVD-A, but why on Earth wouldn't they make it a Hi-Res Blu-Ray rather than a DVD-V?

The cynic in me says it is to keep the possibility of one more release out there.

I get not supporting DVD-A, but why on Earth wouldn't they make it a Hi-Res Blu-Ray rather than a DVD-V?

The cynic in me says it is to keep the possibility of one more release out there.

Blu-Ray is more expensive to author and manufacture than DVD-V is, but it’s not like Rhino have been unwilling to release Blu-Ray Audio discs.
“Chicago Quadio”, “Best of the Doors”, and “Hotel California” are all recent examples of Rhino’s support of high-res Blu-Ray audio discs.
Of course, they could always put together a Fleetwood Mac Blu-Ray audio box set with “Fleetwood Mac”, “Rumours”, “Tusk”, and “Mirage”, and if they did, I will be first in line to buy it, but this current “Fleetwood Mac” set is a hard pass for me.
In this instance, I will probably never play the CDs and I don’t have a turntable, so $50+ is too much to pay for a Dolby Digital DVD.

I will save my money for other releases like “Roxy Music”, “Heavy Horses”, “Brave”, and “Fish Out Of Water”.

I just pre-ordered it from Amazon UK for $54 shipped to the US. I will sell all the other discs for like $30 so the surround disc will only cost me about $24.

The current Amazon pre order price is $87. I think they could fit it into the budget.

I think that's a fair comment - only you really do have to wonder about the gouge factor at some outlets compared to others. I have this deluxe box on order from Amazon UK and my total to my door is US $55.11 That's a big difference.

Anyway - I'm not one that cares as much about blu vs DVD based stuff. For me, they all function the same in the end. :)

In the end, we don't always know why these decisions are made. Could Rhino have fit BD in the budget on this? Maybe.
They have a track record of supporting BD and didn't include it this time.

But there could also be circumstances we don't know about.
What if, perhaps, the artist or label involved wanted such a big cut that a BD would eat in to the margin for the reissue company? Or if key players involved look at the price tag for various options and vote down BD because of sticker shock, seeing that sets with DVD sell just fine? Those are just examples off the top of my head. What I was speaking to is that BD is much more expensive to put out.

This same question can apply to using only DD on a DVD. Why not DTS? Do the engineers charge way more to encode for DTS? Or maybe it's licensing?

The more it costs up front to put a product out, the more risk is taken to recover costs before profits are realized.

In this day and age, it's just PLAIN LAZY and a slap in the face of the "prospective buyers" to ONLY do DD.... VERYY LAAZYYYY...
IIRC , there is no fee to do DTS 96/24...

This just makes my blood boil.... :nuke:nuke:nuke

Blu-Ray is more expensive to author and manufacture than DVD-V is, but it’s not like Rhino have been unwilling to release Blu-Ray Audio discs.
“Chicago Quadio”, “Best of the Doors”, and “Hotel California” are all recent examples of Rhino’s support of high-res Blu-Ray audio discs.
Of course, they could always put together a Fleetwood Mac Blu-Ray audio box set with “Fleetwood Mac”, “Rumours”, “Tusk”, and “Mirage”, and if they did, I will be first in line to buy it, but this current “Fleetwood Mac” set is a hard pass for me.
In this instance, I will probably never play the CDs and I don’t have a turntable, so $50+ is too much to pay for a Dolby Digital DVD.

I will save my money for other releases like “Roxy Music”, “Heavy Horses”, “Brave”, and “Fish Out Of Water”.

I respect your decision to not buy this title..but I'm curious...what if the Roxy Music DVD was DD...would you not buy it?

In the end, we don't always know why these decisions are made. Could Rhino have fit BD in the budget on this? Maybe.
They have a track record of supporting BD and didn't include it this time.

But there could also be circumstances we don't know about.
What if, perhaps, the artist or label involved wanted such a big cut that a BD would eat in to the margin for the reissue company? Or if key players involved look at the price tag for various options and vote down BD because of sticker shock, seeing that sets with DVD sell just fine? Those are just examples off the top of my head. What I was speaking to is that BD is much more expensive to put out.

This same question can apply to using only DD on a DVD. Why not DTS? Do the engineers charge way more to encode for DTS? Or maybe it's licensing?

The more it costs up front to put a product out, the more risk is taken to recover costs before profits are realized.

Let me just say this on the cost front...if somebody thinks that $55 for a 5 disc box set of an album that was a #1 Billboard hit is too much...I don't understand the reasoning...let's compare it to the Roxy box set...which currently costs 3 times that much on amazon US....just saying..nobody knows what goes on behind the scenes...I'd be more curious to know what went on at Universal when they decided to not use the Steven Wilson CD mixes...which were already finished...and of course that price that they arrived at...did they just sit around a table and throw darts on a board?...and it's not like this is the polished version of Roxy(which is ok to like)which generated good sales figures...this was the debut album that is considered to be more for the die hard Roxy fans..which is a much smaller group of potential customers...I learned a long time ago that trying to figure out what these record companies think is an impossible task...I wish I would have purchased 2 of these box sets at that $55 figure...and I don't have a turntable...BUT I might get one someday...and if I don't...I have friends who do and wouldn't mind a free LP:)

Back