Best quadraphonic audio scope stand alone unit (to be used with qrx-9001 line out)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

QuantumGuitar

This information is probably on here, but i find the search functions on here to be a little less than useful...maybe its just me...

Anyway, I'm looking to get a nice quadraphonic audio scope to pair with my QRX-9001. I've been eyeing the Heathkit AD-1013 which looks great. I'd be especially open to smaller units as I only will need to use it for the 4-channel display and don't really need any of the other functions, no matter how fun they look...also space saving is very appreciated since i need to squeeze all my stuff in an already limited space.

I definitely am not interested in any Marantz or otherwise receivers that included oscilloscopes, though they are VERY neat indeed.

Also I am wondering if anyone has heard any sound coloration using these things?
I always hear "shorten your signal path!" and mine is already longer and more convoluted than it should be...
Oh, which reminds me I do expect to continue to send the audio out of the oscilloscope.

Thanks again

This information is probably on here, but i find the search functions on here to be a little less than useful...maybe its just me...

Anyway, I'm looking to get a nice quadraphonic audio scope to pair with my QRX-9001. I've been eyeing the Heathkit AD-1013 which looks great. I'd be especially open to smaller units as I only will need to use it for the 4-channel display and don't really need any of the other functions, no matter how fun they look...also space saving is very appreciated since i need to squeeze all my stuff in an already limited space.

I definitely am not interested in any Marantz or otherwise receivers that included oscilloscopes, though they are VERY neat indeed.

Also I am wondering if anyone has heard any sound coloration using these things?
I always hear "shorten your signal path!" and mine is already longer and more convoluted than it should be...
Oh, which reminds me I do expect to continue to send the audio out of the oscilloscope.

Thanks again
There were a few made back in the day with the most plentiful being the Technics SH-3433 (that's what I have). Kenwood, Pioneer and Heathkit and probably others. Technics made two models. In my view the Heathkit was least desirable as the scope was smaller. One thing to keep in mind is the tubes are made of unobtainium and to be sure that the scope is getting the correct signal values the thing needs to be recapped or you are asking for trouble. They do not taint the sound! I have 2 3433's one recapped and one not. I will send you a pm with more info. I love my scope as it gives me so much info about what is going on in the sound field.

Thought I would weight in on this topic. I have the QRX-9001 and both the Panasonic and Heathkit scopes. I( attached some pictures showing what pairing the items together would look like. Even though the Heathkit is a smaller scope, if I could find a wooden case that Heathkit made available for their scope, I feel that this pairing would looks the best. Another advantage for the Heathkit is it is easy to keep it aligned and in good repair. Having said that the Panasonic lloks pretty good too.

Attachments

• 20171119_122719.jpg
    20171119_122719.jpg
    180.4 KB · Views: 185
  • 20171119_122706.jpg
    20171119_122706.jpg
    183.7 KB · Views: 180
  • 20171119_122441.jpg
    20171119_122441.jpg
    193 KB · Views: 176
  • 20171119_122429.jpg
    20171119_122429.jpg
    183 KB · Views: 176
Thought I would weight in on this topic. I have the QRX-9001 and both the Panasonic and Heathkit scopes. I( attached some pictures showing what pairing the items together would look like. Even though the Heathkit is a smaller scope, if I could find a wooden case that Heathkit made available for their scope, I feel that this pairing would looks the best. Another advantage for the Heathkit is it is easy to keep it aligned and in good repair. Having said that the Panasonic lloks pretty good too.

JWB, could you snap a pic(s) of your hookups from your QRX-9001 to the AD-1013? I have a Marantz 4300 and want to connect my AD-1013 scope. May help the OP as well. Thanks.

Do both/either of these units have a line-out? I have basically been using my 9001 as a phono-pre/decoder going out the tape loop into the multi channel analog inputs of a Sony da-3300es and am hoping to confirm the same type of functionality with the scope in line.

JWB, could you snap a pic(s) of your hookups from your QRX-9001 to the AD-1013? I have a Marantz 4300 and want to connect my AD-1013 scope. May help the OP as well. Thanks.

I'm sorry, I don't have any photos from the rear of the units. The last time these units were in actual use was many, many years ago and any pictures would have been Polaroid or Kodac film cameras :). What I have been doing for the past several years is to unearth the units from storage boxes and bring them back to life. The QRX-9001 has all the known upgrades. I will be refurbishing the scopes soon. Right now I am concentrating on the CD-4 demod and reel to reel and 8-track deck rehab.

Do both/either of these units have a line-out? I have basically been using my 9001 as a phono-pre/decoder going out the tape loop into the multi channel analog inputs of a Sony da-3300es and am hoping to confirm the same type of functionality with the scope in line.

These scopes have only inputs. If I remember correctly that way I hooked them up was to pad down the speaker outputs and feed them to the scopes. Now the upgrade model to the Panasonic (Model # I can't remember) had control/pre-amp functions, that unit may have had what you are looking for. Other hear on the forum can chime in on that unit.

These scopes have only inputs. If I remember correctly that way I hooked them up was to pad down the speaker outputs and feed them to the scopes. Now the upgrade model to the Panasonic (Model # I can't remember) had control/pre-amp functions, that unit may have had what you are looking for. Other hear on the forum can chime in on that unit.

The Panasonic/Technics SH3433 is the scope mentioned above and is without the preamp section, the SH3434 has the preamp. I have both, but the SH3434 has the faulty transformer. I have the SH3433 hooked up using RCA cables to the scope outputs on the JVC 4VR-5456 receiver. This is the only receiver that I have encountered with such outputs. Otherwise you would use the second set of speaker outputs to drive the scope or the tape out RCA jacks, if you didn't already need them.

why not just buy some 2 into 1 type RCA connectors and daisy-chain the outputs from the scope inputs?.

Back