Stevie Ray Vaughan In Surround

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fourplay

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
QQ Supporter
I am currently watching a video that seems to have eluded the forum here called "One Night In Texas... Stevie Ray Vaughan And Double Trouble," and it is mixed in active 5.1 sound, meaning the rears are far more than just audience and ambience.

You may be forgiven for having missed it, as it is but one disc in a four disc package called simply "Stevie Ray Vaughan And Double Trouble." Unfortunately the surround mix is encoded in Dolby Digital only, but it is still active and appears be the best surround mix of Stevie yet released. Here is a scan:

S.R.Vaughan-20003CD-Box-Set.jpg

The mix is keyboard heavy in the rears, almost absent of vocal, drums and bass in the rears - very light ambience. On Voodoo Child the guitar is stronger in the rears and swirls back and forth. Bumping up the rears few more db in volume helps the effect.

I do have three other videos, all of which claim to have a surround mix:

Live From Montreux 1982 & 1985 - Apparently mixed by the same guy, but a different mixes for each year!
1982: (Dolby - Somewhat of a mix - vocal is ambient in the rears, the rest of the band is active in the rears)(Note - three piece band)
1985: (Dolby - Somewhat of a mix - everything but keyboards is ambient in the rears, keyboards are front and rears, on Voodoo Child the guitar is stronger in the rears and swirls back and forth)(Note - four piece band with a guest guitarist)

Live At The El Macambo (Dolby - Ambience)

Live From Austin, Texas (Dolby - dual stereo)

So if you are interested in Stevie, I recommend "One Night In Texas... " first and then "Live From Montreux 1985" 2nd.

I have this set on the shelf, guess I need to dust it off and give it a play or two.
Thanks for the heads up.

I have this set on the shelf, guess I need to dust it off and give it a play or two.
Thanks for the heads up.

Played it last night, agree with fourplay's assessment.

One song, a string breaks and Stevie keeps on playing, then they change out guitars in the middle of the song.
Not the way he rehearsed it. :)
This is an unbroadcasted Austin City Limits show.

Played it last night, agree with fourplay's assessment.

One song, a string breaks and Stevie keeps on playing, then they change out guitars in the middle of the song.
Not the way he rehearsed it. :)
This is an unbroadcasted Austin City Limits show.

Love that part. Never breaks his concentration, keeps on singing while attaching the strap on the replacement guitar and dives right back in. It’s on “Look at Little Sister” if I️ recall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back