Audio Fidelity releasing Quincy Jones’ “The Dude” on SACD

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ugh, everytime I see these new threads....and they just catch my eye...I think...YES, multi-channel....then no.

Let down....again and again...:violin

If AF isn't doing any more quad or 5.1 titles, albums like this are a great choice. I get that stereo-only releases of stuff like Blue Cheer, Grand Funk and Spirit might tickle the nostalgia-bone of the consumer of a certain age, but I don't think they really show off the full capabilities of an audiophile-grade SACD.

The Dude is an absolutely phenomenal sounding album too, even on vinyl & CD, so I'm sure it will really benefit from the hi-res treatment. The title track alone is an absolute masterclass in R&B songwriting and production - James Ingram's vocal improv bit at the end still makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up if I'm listening to it on headphones.

I hope AF explores more of the period between the end of quad (1977) and about 1982/83, as I really think it's the pinnacle of analog studiocraft. I'd love to see AF SACD's of things like Ambrosia's Life Beyond LA & One-Eighty, Michael McDonald's first solo album from 1982, or any of the first three of Luther Vandross' solo albums if they want to do some more R&B. Some of Jean-Luc Ponty's solo albums from the mid-late 70's would make great candidates for the AF treatment as well, as I don't think any of them have seen any kind of physical or download hi-res release.

It's official - now posted on Audio Fidelity's web site as an upcoming Hybrid Stereo SACD release in January 2018.

QuincyJ-DudeSlipcasemockup_1.jpg

https://audiofidelity.net/product/quincy-jones-dude

Ugh, everytime I see these new threads....and they just catch my eye...I think...YES, multi-channel....then no.

Let down....again and again...:violin

Regrettfully, Gene, I think that ship has sailed. :(

But as a Quincy Jones fanboy I'll certainly be adding this SACD to my collection. :)

Quincy Jones, eh?
I applaud AF for going in a slightly diffferent direction on this one.
And being Quincy it’s probably well produced but ultimately a snooze

Quincy Jones, eh?
I applaud AF for going in a slightly diffferent direction on this one.
And being Quincy it’s probably well produced but ultimately a snooze

Well, then we can kill 2 birds with 1 stone....take a nap, while we listen to music. Win, win as far as I can tell. ;)

Back