Dual Disc Bought 4 "Flipper Discs" today! Scans provided!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sbernstein said:
Any followup on what the surround format of the Brubeck is? (Dolby Digital, I assume) And what format the stereo is in (24 bit, I can hope....?)

Thanks!

Yup. Dolby Digital. I would assume it's the same mix as the mch SA-CD, but who knows.

narcopolo said:
if the only distribution of these is thru ebay the format won't last long, and who wants to pay $40 ? what's the chances of finding the hot titles like ac/dc and brubeck in any stores at this point (even if you visit the correct stores).

The Brubeck was recalled, so you won't find it anywhere; no store I went to did I see it. There was apparently a licensing issue. It was on the shelves for less than 2 days, making it a rare title among a format that has VERY limited distribution. Only a few of the Brubeck got out I'm sure, so that one is a genuine rarity.

I was in Newbury @ Alewife, and one guy bought all the Bowies apparently. Just look at eBay - one guy is basically cornering the market. Tower still had some (at $18.99), and BB in Framingham had 1 or 2.

Personally, I don't have a problem if people buy 'em and put 'em on eBay. If I was a Bowie fan and it was the only way to get the rarity, I'd buy it that way if I, say, lived in the UK. There is NO guarantee this format will survive, and I don't believe it will.

If you look at what's been sold (based on eBay and what I've seen still on shelves in stores), the Bowie is the most popular, the Brubeck was pulled, then I'd say the AC/DC and the Fagen are the next on the tier. After that, the Audioslave is selling spotty. The rest (REM/Barenaked Ladies/Linkin Park/POD/Usher/3 Doors Down/Andrew WK/Good Charlotte). So that's 3 of 13 that sell, 1 that was pulled, and 9 so-so sellers. Although it seems like the Audioslave is picking up steam a little.

BTW, here's some more info for you folks: 15 stores in the Boston area got 'em, and 12 in Seattle. I saw the papers one of the Newbury stores had.

Here's where I know in Boston: Virgin, Tower Records Burlington, Tower Records Cambridge, Newbury Comics in Newton, Newbury Comics in Cambridge (Alewife, not Harvard), and Best Buy Cambridge. That leaves 9 unaccounted for. I was speaking to a survey person @ Tower Burlington today and apparently they were extended; they were supposed to be done last week. She said that there's been little interest. She did mention that a Strawberries, a Sam Goody, and an FYE somewhere have 'em. So that's 12.

I wonder if they'll be kept around when the survey people go ... if it is truly a limited run, or what.

So I keep peeling back the layers of the onion, and it seems like these are really going to go away. The eBay sellers or collectors are the only ones buying LOL I have yet to see a normal consumer buying these wherever I go.

Monster Magnet has a new release called "Monolithic" slated for March which has a standard CD and a separate DVD in a 2 disc set. There are already promotional copies showing up on e-Bay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2595563568&category=1574 This seems to me to be the way to go, although I would prefer the second disc to be DVD-A, or the CD to be an SACD hybrid.

sspsandy said:
Monster Magnet has a new release called "Monolithic" slated for March which has a standard CD and a separate DVD in a 2 disc set. There are already promotional copies showing up on e-Bay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2595563568&category=1574 This seems to me to be the way to go, although I would prefer the second disc to be DVD-A, or the CD to be an SACD hybrid.

LAbels have been releasing these types of packages fairly steadily for over a year (two discs in one package, one DVD-based, one CD or hybrid SA-CD). DDs are just a test format at the moment.

I am bumping and sticking this thread in the DualDisc section because there was a question over at SHF as to when the DualDiscs first appeared, and I was at the Best Buy in Framingham, MA on the first day they were sold and then created this thread, so this was the actual date of their first release, Seattle and Boston only, February 5th, 2004. A date that signaled the beginning of the end of SACD and DVD-A in the mainstream marketplace.

BASTAGES!!!

I do not live near Boston or Seattle so was unable to get these when they first appeared. For some reason, I have felt compelled to collect these over the years. I managed to get most of them but several seem very difficult to find/purchase. Got lucky on a couple and found new/sealed in a couple record stores. The search continues.

Last edited:
I am bumping and sticking this thread in the DualDisc section because there was a question over at SHF as to when the DualDiscs first appeared, and I was at the Best Buy in Framingham, MA on the first day they were sold and then created this thread, so this was the actual date of their first release, Seattle and Boston only, February 5th, 2004. A date that signaled the beginning of the end of SACD and DVD-A in the mainstream marketplace.

That date may be valid for the flippers named "DualDisc", but before that there was the invention of DVDplus, usually one side video, the other CD-Audio.

-Kristian

February 5th, 2004. A date that signaled the beginning of the end of SACD and DVD-A in the mainstream marketplace.

BASTAGES!!!
Why is that? Was it that it marks more confusion in the marketplace? I can't see how DD effected the decline of anything except itself.

SACD and DVD-A have plugged along fine enough since 2004. With DVD-A finally seemingly have come to the end. But still not sure when there is the expectation that uni players will play DVD-A even when SACD is not supported on a particular player. Thta shows some sign of life.

there is the expectation that uni players will play DVD-A even when SACD is not supported on a particular player. Thta shows some sign of life.

I suspect that has more to do with licensing fees than anything else. Honestly, with Blu-Ray, I see no reason to do new releases in either format at this point, but I'll always want an Oppo to play my legacy discs.

Back