DTS CD Classical from China?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bming

Since 2002/2003
I came across this CD at Lawson's secondhand record store in Sydney. It was for sale for $2. I was intrigued that it was a Polydor release. No idea where it was recorded and by whom as I do not read Chinese. I was thinking that it could be a pirate recording as they have a history of putting all sorts of labels on their covers, some dodgy DVD's I have seen that they are HD DVD and DVD dual disks and dodgy cassettes in the past have had DBx encoding labels on them. All total rubbish of course.
But not this one it is a well recorded full surround DTS double disk set - certainly well worth the $2. Despite the bits of misspelt English in the track list I suspect it is a legitimate release. Has anyone else seen these. There was also a Mozart disk for sale from the same source. Now I regret not buying it but Tchaikovsky is more my style. This one was recorded in 2005.

Attachments

• dts cd.jpg
    dts cd.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 162
That the DTS emblem is not the older or newer emblem makes it a "little" suspect .

But it's China and both bogus and legit are possible I suppose. It does not always have to be the correct emblem I believe .

If the surround is good and it's a quality sounding disc then so much the better . For $2 beans it's worth the purchase.

The Chinese characters are of traditional fonts, so the intended market is very unlikely to be mainland China.

If I remember correctly, the Polydor label was never associated with classical music. By 2005, the Polydor label would've been retired by Universal Music, which purchased PolyGram Records (which owned the Polydor label) in the late 1990s.

Back