I love Blu-Ray music, but...

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markshan

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
I think they could be a little more creative with the authoring. For example, I like the Legend 30th for the slide show. It reminds me of handling an album jacket while I listen to the vinyl. Why don't more titles do this?

I always loved reading the lyric sheet that came with an album, which brings me to my next point. Why don't they use the closed captioning for real time lyrics? It wouldn't be any more difficult than captioning a movie, and it is completely defeatable for those who don't want it. It would enhance my experience greatly.

The thing I like most about Blu-Ray music is that the streams are simultaneous, so you can A/B mixes in real time as opposed to having to go back to the menu to compare.

I always loved reading the lyric sheet that came with an album, which brings me to my next point. Why don't they use the closed captioning for real-time lyrics? It wouldn't be any more difficult than captioning a movie, and it is completely defeatable for those who don't want it. It would enhance my experience greatly.

This is an absolutely wonderful idea and corresponds with the specification of Blu-ray Audio format that also complies with my High Definition Music Card, I will definitely advise my future artists, producers, and major record labels to utilize that.(y)

This is an absolutely wonderful idea and corresponds with the specification of Blu-ray Audio format that also complies with my High Definition Music Card, I will definitely advise my future artists, producers, and major record labels to utilize that.(y)

For opera stuff you could even do one stream in the native language and another in English. Heck, most concert halls project translations at the top or bottom of the stage, how much more so does this make sense for a home theater media?

Even for instrumental music the captioning could be used for liner notes. Or, could the angle button be used to switch between a slideshow and liners?

I think that since Blu-Ray audio is the natural extension sound wise of DVD-A and/or SACD, people have brought those pre-conceived notions with them to the Blu-Ray experience, but the way that real time streams are handled in Blu-Ray opens up possibilities that seem to be as of yet unexplored (IMHO, and having only a few Blu-Rays for reference, of course).

For opera stuff you could even do one stream in the native language and another in English. Heck, most concert halls project translations at the top or bottom of the stage, how much more so does this make sense for a home theater media?

Actually, this is very complex question because every auditorium has it's own unique microphone placement as well as a soundboard configuration and this is the Artistic skills of an engineer who is doing the mix is the key to produce the great sound presentation no matter for life perforance or recording, but in term of surround sound no question, every opera house has front, back pick up mics, as well as ambience to support it future distribution for any surround sound configuration so it is more then anoght sound information to produce amazing home theater mix from any performance.

Actually, this is very complex question because every auditorium has it's own unique microphone placement as well as a soundboard configuration and this is the Artistic skills of an engineer who is doing the mix is the key to produce the great sound presentation no matter for life perforance or recording, but in term of surround sound no question, every opera house has front, back pick up mics, as well as ambience to support it future distribution for any surround sound configuration so it is more then anoght sound information to produce amazing home theater mix from any performance.
I meant the subtitle streams. I may be using incorrect terminology. I think some movies have a choice of languages for the subtitles.

I meant the subtitle streams. I may be using incorrect terminology.
In an opera house, due to their placement above the stage (generally), they're called "supertitles." They would end up as subtitles on Blu-ray, of course, and it should be no problem to include multiple languages (native and translations).

I think they could be a little more creative with the authoring. For example, I like the Legend 30th for the slide show. It reminds me of handling an album jacket while I listen to the vinyl. Why don't more titles do this?

I always loved reading the lyric sheet that came with an album, which brings me to my next point. Why don't they use the closed captioning for real time lyrics? It wouldn't be any more difficult than captioning a movie, and it is completely defeatable for those who don't want it. It would enhance my experience greatly.

The thing I like most about Blu-Ray music is that the streams are simultaneous, so you can A/B mixes in real time as opposed to having to go back to the menu to compare.
Adding the lyrics to a BR release would cost money since the song writers would have to be paid for using the lyrics. Considering how very few people would actually use this feature it is simply not cost effective.

I believe I have one or two with lyrics, have to dig them out to recall which ones. But yeah, that's pretty rare and I agree, there's usually lots of space if they wanted to add some extras for us. The photo 'screen saver' if you will, from Quadrophenia was a nice touch. Also Rush's 2112 with the complete illustrated version of 2112 c/w lyrics was cool. I have the BD concert of Paul McCartney's The Space Within Us (and I believe there are a couple others like this) that has a 'jukebox' feature where you can select your favourite songs from the concert and play them in the order you want. That would be a nice feature on BD-As as well.

Adding the lyrics to a BR release would cost money since the song writers would have to be paid for using the lyrics. Considering how very few people would actually use this feature it is simply not cost effective.

Would it cost any more than printing them on an album jacket? That was pretty much standard practice from the late 60s on.

Back