Whitesnake: The Purple Tour (Live) CD/Blu-ray - Release date: 1/19/2018

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sperezmore

600 Club - QQ All-Star
QQ Supporter
3YqpATM.jpg

Whitesnake: The Purple Tour (Live) 2-Disc CD/Blu-ray - Release date: 11/24/2017 (UK) & 1/19/2018 (USA)

Whitesnake’s New Live Collection Highlights Singer David Coverdale’s Time In Deep Purple With Performances Of Deep Purple And Whitesnake Classics

Whitesnake revisited the music that singer David Coverdale recorded with Deep Purple in the Seventies when they released The Purple Album two years ago. The album, and the tour that followed, offered fans new modern interpretations of Purple classics like “Burn” and “Mistreated.” Highlights from the historic tour will be featured in a new live collection, including double-disc versions that feature audio, video and a selection of bonus material.

On THE PURPLE TOUR (LIVE), Whitesnake puts their distinctive spin on several songs from Coverdale’s studio albums with Deep Purple – Burn (1974), Stormbringer (1974), and Come Taste The Band (1975). Highlights include: “You Fool No One,” “The Gypsy” and “Soldier Of Fortune.” The double-disc collection also includes video footage of the concert mixed to 5.1 Surround Sound, plus a new music video for “Burn,” band interviews, and a number of bonus performances not available on the CD or vinyl versions.

The Whitesnake line-up that appears on THE PURPLE TOUR (LIVE) includes: singer David Coverdale, guitarists Reb Beach and Joel Hoekstra, bassist Michael Devin, drummer Tommy Aldridge and keyboardist Michele Luppi.

Coverdale says there was never any intention to compete against the original recordings. “We just wanted to play the damn songs. Each member of the band. brought their incredible individual talents and a real band identity to this music. We’ve all done the best we can with this project with respect to the music, and the legacy of Deep Purple Mk3 and Mk4.”

In addition to songs originally recorded by Deep Purple, THE PURPLE TOUR (LIVE) also features performances of killer Whitesnake tracks like “Fool For Your Loving” from Slip Of The Tongue (1990), “Love Ain’t No Stranger” from Slide It In (1984), plus “Still Of The Night,” “Bad Boys,” “Is This Love” and the #1 smash “Here I Go Again” from Whitesnake (1987).

Blu-ray Contents

Concert Video in 5.1 and Stereo

1.“Burn”
2.“Bad Boys”
3.“Love Ain’t No Stranger”
4.“The Gypsy”
5.“Give Me All Your Love”
6.“Ain’t No Love In The Heart Of The City”
7.“Mistreated”
8.“You Fool No One”
9.“Soldier of Fortune”
10.“Is This Love”
11.“Fool For Your Loving”
12.“Here I Go Again”
13.“Still of the Night”

Burn – Music Video

Band Interviews

Bonus 5.1 High Resolution Live Audio:

1.“You Keep On Moving”
2.“Lay Down Stay Down”
3.“Lotsanotes”
4.“Stormbringer”

https://whitesnake.com/purple-tour-live/

Amazon,

https://www.amazon.com/The-Purple-T...s2&ascsubtag=ccab4f9b9304f2423625beb6b68dab6b

Will be mine!!!!!!!!

:cool:

Regards,

Last edited:
It'll be mine shortly after 24th November :banana: That is currently the quoted UK release date, so they've 3 more days to slip it!

It didn't appear and I've just had the email from amazon.co.uk :(

Hello,

Unfortunately, the release date for the item(s) listed below was changed by the supplier, and we need to provide you with a new estimated delivery date based on the new release date:

Whitesnake "The Purple Tour (Live)"
Estimated arrival date: January 22 2018 - January 24 2018

It'll be mine shortly after 24th November :banana: That is currently the quoted UK release date, so they've 3 more days to slip it!

This is a bit of a strange Blu-ray. The concert itself is very good, sound is pretty decent for a rock release and the video editing isn't of the frenetic type that spoils a lot of these type of releases. The 5.1 mix is very front heavy with very little in the rears (ambience would be a bit of an overstatement), with even the audience having more presence in the front speakers. Overall it would be better described as 3.1. On the plus side, the "surround mix" is applied to the bonus tracks and promo video and has better separation and punch than the stereo mix. One major fault is that there doesn't seem to be a track listing on the main menu so there doesn't seem to be an easy way of jumping to a particular track.

If you like Whitesnake this is a good purchase because of the quality of the concert and the way it has been filmed, and the sound is fine. If you just want a surround experience then this isn't for you. (Still great value from Amazon UK - my pre-order cost £14.44 for CD/Blu-ray combo which is at the bargain end of music Blu-rays these days (y)).

Last edited:
This is a bit of a strange Blu-ray. The concert itself is very good, sound is pretty decent for a rock release and the video editing isn't of the frenetic type that spoils a lot of these type of releases. The 5.1 mix is very front heavy with very little in the rears (ambience would be a bit of an overstatement), with even the audience being having more presence in the front speakers. Overall it would be better described as 3.1. On the plus side, the "surround mix" is applied to the bonus tracks and promo video and has better separation and punch than the stereo mix. One major fault is that there doesn't seem to be a track listing on the main menu so there doesn't seem to be an easy way of jumping to a particular track.

If you like Whitesnake this is a good purchase because of the quality of the concert and the way it has been filmed, and the sound is fine. If you just want a surround experience then this isn't for you. (Still great value from Amazon UK - my pre-order cost £14.44 for CD/Blu-ray combo which is at the bargain end of music Blu-rays these days (y)).
Thank you for your mini review. I believe my copy arrives today or tomorrow. Based on your review it sounds like I am gonna like it.
I might double dip and get the 24 bit stereo from HDTracks also ?

Dolby HD, 5.1. Great songs, performance, and great camera video. Piss poor surround if you can even call it surround, nothing discrete, not even audience ambient rears, I’ll call it super stereo.

Dolby HD, 5.1. Great songs, performance, and great camera video. Piss poor surround if you can even call it surround, nothing discrete, not even audience ambient rears, I’ll call it super stereo.

Aw man :-/

I guess I'd still buy it over the CD for the bonus tracks.

Is the sound quality good?

Aw man :-/

I guess I'd still buy it over the CD for the bonus tracks.

Is the sound quality good?

I listened to 5 or 6 songs. The 5.1 is pretty bad, honestly. Within the 5.1, the fidelity is average to poor. The stereo sounds better to my ears.
I would now say that this disc is a shelf ornament.

Aw man that sucks :-(

Found the stereo version on Spotify. Will give it a spin. I love Whitesnake, especially since their return in 2008, but some of their stuff has been marred by horrible sound quality. I was hoping this would make up for the muddled sound of the "Purple" studio album. :-/

Oh man... Doesn't sound very good to me :-(

I don't get it. Isn't there somebody involved in the production process that put "Good to be Bad" in a player, cranked it up, then put this in and said, "hear the difference"? I asked myself the same question with the studio "Purple" album.

The surround mix is :couch ok but only if you can't hear behind you! So its really 2.1. As a live gig its not bad, sound quality is so-so. The drummer Tommy Aldridge is impressive, he endlessly pounds the drums, must be knackered by the end of gig. I got it for £14.44 so ok at that price. Don't buy it if you want surround though.

Back