HiRez Poll XTC - BLACK SEA [Blu-Ray Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of XTC - BLACK SEA

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Poor Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

• Total voters
I still haven’t opened my Burning Shed copy and had planned to keep it sealed but now you guys have made me curious about the signature.....LOL

Last night, I finally listened to my Amazon copy. With the exception of the tracks that are on “Fossil Fuel”, I don’t quite remember the exact last time I listened to this album but I do know that I’ve never had it on compact disc. So, it must have been the vinyl LP. I found the videos hilarious. These guys look so young here! Makes me feel really old. I did find something odd about the first couple of tracks. They seem rather soft and non dynamic compared to the rest of the album. I couldn’t get over the fact that as I listened to it, I did not hear one song that sounded Talking Heads related (a Roland Orzabal comment) like I do on “Drums and Wires”. I didn’t like it as much as I remembered. I find the previous album “Drums and Wires” better overall and it pales in comparison to “English Settlement”, which I feel is one of their high points. I’m going to listen to it again today and cast my vote and leave further comments.

Okay. Disregard what I said earlier about the first couple of songs sounding non-dynamic. It must’ve been the wax in my rear...er.....ears and that isn’t even a very good description to use. All is well!

My absolute favorite songs in order on album are “Love At First Sight”, “Rocket From A Bottle”, “Paper And Iron” and “Travels In Nihilon” which has a ‘wait for it, it’s getting ready to burst out” feel but never does. You really can hear these guys are having a lot of fun performing in these songs (like on the videos).

I can’t find any reason not to vote a solid “10” on this one. The mix, sound, all of the music offered and the beauty of the packaging design is always excellent in every XTC release. If I had to nitpick, I would have loved to see on-screen lyrics with these releases so I could karaoke. (y)

I did not hear one song that sounded Talking Heads related (a Roland Orzabal comment) like I do on “Drums and Wires”. I didn’t like it as much as I remembered.

"Living Through Another Cuba" could not be more Heads-esque IMO. Andy sounds scarily like David Byrne on that track.

Listened to this multiple times back to back. The music is new to me, and it's loads of fun. You can hear the beginnings more melodic and layered pop of the late 80s/early 90s, but still plenty of the early "punk" punchiness.

The mix is solid. A few eye opening moments that I really enjoyed.

Pans, used excessively, can be too gimmicky, but I like how the drums meander around in "Living Through Another Cuba" along with Andy's vocals echoing around. Well done.

A 10 for me. Part of this score is once again a large amount of material in a compact package for a very solid price.

This one is a 10 for sure as its one of my favorite XTC albums which sounds even better now in glorious 5.1.
After Drums and Wires showed that XTC was a band to be reckoned with as they brought the fun back to pop music in the late 70's/early 80's and this is the second album of at least 6 great albums in a row.
XTC with some SW fairy dust thrown in and we have another fantastic BR to listen to for many years to come.
Bring on some more of these classics please.......

I'm one of those lucky people that was introduced to XTC by the "Surround Sound Series", and I've thoroughly enjoyed all the albums remixed so far. These guys were such talents and so versatile in style, it's a shame they didn't achieve as much success in the US and worldwide as they did in the UK.

Stylistically, this is a continuation of the sound established in Drums & Wires. I'm surprised I enjoyed this one as much as I did because I actually didn't love D&W all that much - maybe four or five tracks off that one really stuck with me - but I like pretty much everything here (though admittedly I do sometimes shut it off after "Sgt. Rock").

The surround mix is the best in the series so far, which is really saying something because there isn't a dud in the bunch. The breakdown guitar solo in "Respectable Street" circles the room. The lead guitar bounces back and forth between the rears at the end of "Generals and Majors". The layered backing vocals on the chorus of "Living Through Another Cuba" are panned to each corner of the room. The metallic percussion in "Paper And Iron" blasts from the rears. I could go on and on, but why spoil all the cool surprises? SW has really outdone himself on this one.

Possibly the surround mix of the year, though I haven't heard them all yet. Have to give it a 10.

Last edited:
I am a big fan of the Beatles and also XTC but when it comes to 5.1 mixes, for me XTC are more popular than the Beatles... ;)

Haven't finished listening to the album but the layered vocals on Living through Another Cuba are an awesome touch. Also digging some chords I've never noticed before on Love at First Sight. More comments as I finish the album (and hopefully get onto the surround)... [emoji106]

Sent from my HTC 2PZC100 using Tapatalk

Just received my copy of XTC's Black Sea today and am now spinning the RBCD SW Stereo remaster.....WOW. Can't wait to spin the BD~A tonight.

Only $16 delivered from ImportCD. What a bargain!

I feel a solid 10 coming on........:banana:

I don't vote in as many polls as I should because often I can't decide on a numerical value for how I feel about a release. This one is a no-brainer - 10 all the way!

Snood listen to this last night and man oh man another Smile on me face the whole time :banana:

Voted a 10

This was a release back in the day that my best friend and still is, used to play in his car all the time. Drove Snood crazy.......:mad:@:

Snood was more into the rock stuff Van Halen, BOC etc back in high skoo. When Snood would get in his car urrrrrrrrrgh Black Sea and Elvis Costello. Over the years Snood grew to love both of them and he grew to love some of my fave groups like The Cars, Crowded House and The freaking Knack :banana: and even Van Halen lol:mad:@:

IMHO - this is easily the most accessible poppy release from XTC and a great starting point - to Snood anything before was a lil more new wavey and anything after a lil more artsy (altho with some pop appeal thrown in) - all of which Snood has grown to love.

Tell me guys & gals - if at the end of Travels of Nihilon - you are not looking right above you for the water falling on your head - freaking genius. :yikes

Fave Songs - Respectable Street, Generals & Majors, Living Thru Another Cuba, No Language In Our Lungs, Towers of London, Burning With Optimisms Flame, Sgt Rock, Travels In Nihilon - OMG that most all of them lol

Snood did not listen to the extra cuts as yet in 5.1 - just the album - listened to each song like 2 to 3 times.

Funny to think that in 1980 Snood hated this album and now me loves it - Steven Wilson cudos to you sir - simply awesome in every way.

Had this sheeeeeeet turned up loud at 2 AM - next door neighbors might have been me in 1980 last night lmao :smokin

Do Love Drums & Wires, Oranges, Non and Sky - but this was pure fun. The Rum & Cokes helped a lil toooooooo :51banana:

Snood listen to this last night and man oh man another Smile on me face the whole time :banana:

Do Love Drums & Wires, Oranges, Non and Sky - but this was pure fun. The Rum & Cokes helped a lil toooooooo.........................................

This has got to be THE Post of the year!!!

Snood? You always make me laugh out loud, put a smile on my face and make my day.

Merry Christmas to you, sir! ?

Almost flawless. Just not my favourite XTC album, so it 'only' gets a 9 from me. I really love the surround mix, much more experimental than expected and that has had a big impact on my appreciation of the music.

Another masterstroke from Wilson.

In terms of audio fidelity, this period marks the bands strongest sonics, with the coveted team of Steve Lillywhite and Hugh Padgham steering the ship.

And Wilson certainly respects all the decisions made in the original mix, and plugs in the 5.1 beautifully. Luckily the original production does not suffer from the usual 80's audio touchstones (excessive gated reverb on the snare..yuck) which allows for a wonderful, if state of the art, representation of early 80's British rock music.

Like "Drums And Wires", this is a rocking version of the band in their (touring form) prime. I personally regard "Black Sea" as their finest rock-pop album (with "Drums and Wires" and "English Settlement" coming in as close almost three way ties). There are just so many fine songs on this album, which demonstrated their budding chops as outstanding pop songsmiths.

It feels like the world is just catching up to them.

Yup. it's a 10!

I gave this a 9. Mix is great. Sonics great. Content is deep, in terms of extras.
Musically, it has grown on me over the last few weeks, but not up to the 10 level.
It's fun and strong though. Anybody who likes quirky rock some own this.

I made a DTS-CD of my favorite tracks from this and Drums & Wires that hasn't left the car in weeks.

I usually do two-fers (ala D-V) for car discs, but unfortunately both albums in their entirety don't fit on an 80 minute CD-R! Oh well :(

Pretty much everyone I've played it for has enjoyed at least one track...the singles especially really do take hold in your mind.

Bottom line- I stand by my prior review and QQ "10"

BTW the Showtime doc on XTC is definitely worth watching.

Back