Todd Rundgren - A Wizard, A True Star & SomeThing\Anything SACDs Jan 2018

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

milt

800 Club - QQ All-Star
Analog Spark - Pure DSD, Mastered by Kevin Gray, Authored by Gus Skinas.

It will be interesting to see what, something\anything, these guys can do with Wizard.

Don't like to be an ingrate--on this, of all days--but I wish they'd included surround mixes! I've heard a couple of good upmixes of S/A, one of which claims to originate from an uncompleted quad studio mix, and they're really tantalizing...

Analog Spark - Pure DSD, Mastered by Kevin Gray, Authored by Gus Skinas.

It will be interesting to see what, something\anything, these guys can do with Wizard.

When it comes down to sound quality, I have not heard one Todd Rundgren album that I’ve liked. The MFSL version of Something/Anything is decent but still on the bright side. Not sure if this is the way he recorded but I don’t remember any of my vinyl records sounding this bad. All my CD’s and digital downloads all lack bass and are overly bright. I sure hope the forthcoming SACD’s are different.

When it comes down to sound quality, I have not heard one Todd Rundgren album that I’ve liked. The MFSL version of Something/Anything is decent but still on the bright side. Not sure if this is the way he recorded but I don’t remember any of my vinyl records sounding this bad. All my CD’s and digital downloads all lack bass and are overly bright. I sure hope the forthcoming SACD’s are different.

If anyone can warm them up - so to speak - it would be Kevin Gray. He works with an Analog mastering chain.
Should be interesting.

Don't like to be an ingrate--on this, of all days--but I wish they'd included surround mixes! I've heard a couple of good upmixes of S/A, one of which claims to originate from an uncompleted quad studio mix, and they're really tantalizing...

Analog Spark didn't do Surround Sound on their Bat Out of Hell and Sound of Music SACDs.
So I wouldn't expect them to start with these two.

I guess the rumored 5.1 mix of Something/Anything will remain a rumor.
Have yet to hear anything definitive on whether that album was - or was not - actually mixed in 5.1.

I LOVE this later Todd Rundgren release [LIARS] on ultra discrete MLP DVD~Audio 5.1 from Silverline. https://www.amazon.com/Liars-Todd-R...73538&sr=1-7&keywords=Todd+Rundgren+DVD~Audio

Sounds GREAT on my system!

Ingrate? I have no reason whatsoever to put a crowbar in my wallet for a stereo SACD. If I need a good sounding copy, I have my vinyl.

If anyone can warm them up - so to speak - it would be Kevin Gray. He works with an Analog mastering chain.
Should be interesting.

Agreed. I had\have these on vinyl back in the day and I don't remember them having the tizzy upper-end.
The digital versions I've heard of Wizard remind me of the original Skylarking CD only much worse.
Todd did a ton of overdubs on those albums and perhaps the vinyl geared mastering minimized the effect.
Hopefully we get the same result as the pre vs post corrected polarity of Skylarking.

I know some didn't think it made any difference but I thought it made all the difference.

I must differ, I always admired the production work of his stuff, it always was full and had good sonic range. Compared to other stuff of the same area.

Unfortunately this new Hybrid Stereo SACD is no sonic masterpiece. I listened to it last night and the first few bars I thought wow, this is gonna be good, but within 30 seconds it sounded dull, flat and scratchy. The music was so so, except for the last few tracks that where covers of other songs.
If your on the fence just buy the RBCD, or a Flac download.
611dQCSpTIL._SS500.jpg

Back