Newbie needs some help on a 'Home' Ambisonics Set up

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeadbeatLine

Hey all, I'm looking to create a 'Home' style 2nd order ambisonics (something I've been researching into recently but am still very much a newbie with) set up, But I'm very new to Home A/V and Home Theater set ups. I think I have an understanding of how to do it but would like any pointing out of errors please.

Is this work flow right?

PC -> Ambisonic Decoder -> Multiple 7.1 soundcards (for example, two) -> Speakers/Subwoofer

I can't seem to understand why 7.1 soundcards often only have 5 jacks on them, do I require an amp/AV receiver also?

Will the PC just detect both soundcards and treat them as a combined potential '14.2' output? I.e. can they just stack on top of each other?

This is all very confusing for a newbie and there aren't that many beginners articles available on the subject.

Finally, could anyone recommend any Soundcards/AV Receivers/Speakers suitable for this?

Thanks for any advice!

the 5.1 cards or outputs on computers that have them, that I've seen, are stereo 1/8" jacks that a "pigtail" adapter plugs into. Each jack could be two channels of output. Look closely at the specs or label.

The 5.1 cards or outputs on computers that have them, that I've seen, are stereo 1/8" jacks that a "pigtail" adapter plugs into with two RCA outs. Each jack could be two channels of output. Look closely at the specs or label.

Back