Standalone BD Audio Releases vs. BD Audio in Collector & Anniversary Edition Box Sets

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4-earredwonder

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
Optical discs are down...but not out...I remember many retail outlets saying 5 years ago they weren't going to sell DVD's anymore...but they still do...we(on forums like this one)sometimes are a little out of touch with mainstream(general public) users...I see people in these stores buying their first HD television...which is hard to believe since HD has been around in the US since 1998...almost 20 years...yes the numbers are down...but it can still survive...if vinyl can survive...so can the other shiny disc formats...I'm just thankful we are getting these special titles now...when I can still enjoy them:)

Ironically, they're still manufacturing DVDs in tremendous quantities. The public hasn't even upgraded to Blu Ray :yikes and UHD 4K, IMO, IS struggling due to poor choice of releases and the fact that a majority of them are UPSCALED 2K.

I'm just a little surprised that SONY who a scant few years ago did release the Hendrix catalogue in remastered RBCD 2 disc sets [with DVD included] didn't do the same with Hendrix SACD sets instead of licensing them to Analogue Productions.

BTW, cranked up, those SONY Hendrix RBCD remasters do sound pretty amazing! I can ONLY imagine what the AP SACDs will sound like.

BTW, were any of Hendrix's albums ever officially remixed into 4.0 or 5.1?

Ironically, they're still manufacturing DVDs in tremendous quantities. The public hasn't even upgraded to Blu Ray :yikes and UHD 4K, IMO, IS struggling due to poor choice of releases and the fact that a majority of them are UPSCALED 2K.

I'm just a little surprised that SONY who a scant few years ago did release the Hendrix catalogue in remastered RBCD 2 disc sets [with DVD included] didn't do the same with Hendrix SACD sets instead of licensing them to Analogue Productions.

BTW, cranked up, those SONY Hendrix RBCD remasters do sound pretty amazing! I can ONLY imagine what the AP SACDs will sound like.

BTW, were any of Hendrix's albums ever officially remixed into 4.0 or 5.1?

The reality is that 4k is never going to be anything other than a niche product in the US...the infrastructure in the United States can't handle it...it's barely surviving under the demands of the current technology...on the disc release front I couldn't be happier...the quantity of disc releases may reduce in number but the quality is really picking up...Fleetwood Mac...The Beatles...Chicago...Rush with Steven Wilson..and now Hendrix...and even if some people aren't happy about the Pink Floyd titles that have been selected...the fact that they went in that direction is significant to me...even the Doors singles blu ray....in my listening world....these bands are top notch...and if they are mono...or stereo or surround...I'm fired up about these titles...and even though he was a little before my time...a legend like Buddy Holly on SACD is awesome...I'm really looking forward to that one...

IMO the future is bright for those of us that love titles like these..

Re: DVD & BD sales.
Both getting hit by 2 big factors.
1. HD streaming. Amazon, Netflix, etc.
2. Lack of desirable new titles.

Totally separate market from music releases but the same factors are in play.

So what is more of niche?
4k TV owners or Hi-Res music owners.
A lot of people are gonna buy 4k sets this season.

The reality is that 4k is never going to be anything other than a niche product in the US...the infrastructure in the United States can't handle it...it's barely surviving under the demands of the current technology...on the disc release front I couldn't be happier...the quantity of disc releases may reduce in number but the quality is really picking up...Fleetwood Mac...The Beatles...Chicago...Rush with Steven Wilson..and now Hendrix...and even if some people aren't happy about the Pink Floyd titles that have been selected...the fact that they went in that direction is significant to me...even the Doors singles blu ray....in my listening world....these bands are top notch...and if they are mono...or stereo or surround...I'm fired up about these titles...and even though he was a little before my time...a legend like Buddy Holly on SACD is awesome...I'm really looking forward to that one...

IMO the future is bright for those of us that love titles like these..

But, Clint, IMO, the future would be a LOT brighter if a lot of these pricey boxsets did OFFER hi def stand alone BD~As as alternatives. I think it would attract a lot more potential buyers and newbies to the cause. I agree with you on UHD 4K. It's gotten off to a rocky start and Amazon is literally blowing out a lot of these UHD 4K discs for as little as $10 each [NOT a good sign, IMO].

But, Clint, IMO, the future would be a LOT brighter if a lot of these pricey boxsets did OFFER hi def stand alone BD~As as alternatives. I think it would attract a lot more potential buyers and newbies to the cause. I agree with you on UHD 4K. It's gotten off to a rocky start and Amazon is literally blowing out a lot of these UHD 4K discs for as little as $10 each [NOT a good sign, IMO].

As much as I'd like to agree with you on the standalone discs...I can't...that business model just doesn't work for the record companies when you are talking about the "big name" bands like The Beatles...Fleetwood Mac..etc...they have been there and done that...as much as we don't like it...the new reality is that going forward the only way we are going to get the majority of these titles from the big bands is in a set...

Re: DVD & BD sales.
Both getting hit by 2 big factors.
1. HD streaming. Amazon, Netflix, etc.
2. Lack of desirable new titles.

Totally separate market from music releases but the same factors are in play.

So what is more of niche?
4k TV owners or Hi-Res music owners.

Oh Milt...of course there are going to be more people buying 4k sets...that's about all they sell now...but how many of those 4k set owners will actually be watching 4k content?...riddle me that my man:).to be candid...making a set 4k is simple...it's like a license for these companies to print money...have you noticed all these companies that have come out of the woodwork now to sell "4k" sets...most of them are garbage...but who cares...that salesman can proudly state that it is 4k.

We will have a test of whether fans really will purchase a standalone BD Audio disc vs. the Anniversary Edition when Eye In The Sky by Alan Parsons is released.

People have said that they want a standalone BD Audio disc.
Yet many are actually buying the multi-disc set of Eye In The Sky vs. waiting for the planned single BD Audio disc.

At the end of the day, it's always what sells vs. what people say they want that counts! :)

The one silver-lining, for me, of this whole mega-ultra-super-dooper-deluxe set model, is when they replicate BD content across a DVD or two.
This either makes box set owners (often) willing to part out the BD or makes it possible for somebody like me to buy the box, keep the BD and sell the rest.

In this way, I ended up getting the PF DSotM BD for free, the WYWH BD for <$20 and the Sgt Pepper's BD for <$20.

This strategy takes patience and a whole lot of luck, but it can work.

When the surround content is exclusive to a box and only on one disc (lossy or not) it makes the situation tougher. Especially if you'd like to offload vinyl, but a vinyl option was already offered as a package, as with the new AFtK. Still, we all have a choice to spend for an item or sit a release out. In this community though, I think a lot of us feel a responsibility of sorts to support new mixes.

We will have a test of whether fans really will purchase a standalone BD Audio disc vs. the Anniversary Edition when Eye In The Sky by Alan Parsons is released.

People have said that they want a standalone BD Audio disc.
Yet many are actually buying the multi-disc set of Eye In The Sky vs. waiting for the planned single BD Audio disc.

At the end of the day, it's always what sells vs. what people say they want that counts! :)

Your last sentence is spot on.. whatever sells is what these companies will do...a lot of people shoot the messenger(the record companies)because they just don't want to face reality...if standalone discs were money makers..that's what they would be doing...and many have tried to make it work...there will be some standalone discs in the future...just not as many...but maybe the selection might be even better...and I can live with that:)

The one silver-lining, for me, of this whole mega-ultra-super-dooper-deluxe set model, is when they replicate BD content across a DVD or two.
This either makes box set owners (often) willing to part out the BD or makes it possible for somebody like me to buy the box, keep the BD and sell the rest.

In this way, I ended up getting the PF DSotM BD for free, the WYWH BD for <$20 and the Sgt Pepper's BD for <$20.

This strategy takes patience and a whole lot of luck, but it can work.

When the surround content is exclusive to a box and only on one disc (lossy or not) it makes the situation tougher. Especially if you'd like to offload vinyl, but a vinyl option was already offered as a package, as with the new AFtK. Still, we all have a choice to spend for an item or sit a release out. In this community though, I think a lot of us feel a responsibility of sorts to support new mixes.

You and some others have adapted to the box situation....whether it's selling off some of the parts or waiting for the box set to be discounted...you are doing it:)...where there is a will...there is a way....and plenty of people on this forum to help with suggestions and alternatives..

there's just one problem with this, people are idiots, they consistently buy the "wrong" thing.

Also, they have no "taste"

and then, like sheep, the producers produce more of the "wrong" thing

"dumbing down" of America

my nephew was showing me a youtube video of a guy named "Logan" who was eating an onion and crying.

Then he showed me that wikipedia (or whatever) said he made 7.5 million dollars posting his content on youtube

there's just one problem with this, people are idiots, they consistently buy the "wrong" thing.

my nephew was showing me a youtube video of a guy named "Logan" who was eating an onion and crying.

Then he showed me that wikipedia (or whatever) said he made 7.5 million dollars posting his content on youtube

So, he was LITERALLY crying' all the way to the bank :ugham:

And yes, a lot of us are sheep or sheepish but when it comes to these ridiculous box sets [especially with Vinyl, DVDs & RBCDs containing endless outtakes], I HAVE put my foot down and have NO regrets, whatsoever.:yikes

My reply..it all depends on the group and/or disc....I'd say I'm more of a "Standalone" BD person...

BUT, following the "derailing"...in a world (you can say it with the voice of the guy who does the movie trailers ;) ) where music is just "background noise, where people leave the TV on all the time without paying attention to it, where physical media is selling less because you can "stream" or "download" (legally or illegally) whatever you fancy, 4K is DEAD....

Cause us folk, who care for HiDef already have BDs (which, to me, look AWESOME and we're talking 1080!!!)and "upscaling players" for normal DVDs, which look great (to me!), 4K will be a niche market but it will never be the norm...especially when you realize that when you go to the (digital projector) movies the resolution is only 2K(??!!!??), which is the resolution of 35mm film (more or less), 4K is to me like 192 for Audio, PLAIN OVERKILL...I can't see any difference....

:smokin

Yep, and they're going to be watching little else than upscaled 1080p for the foreseeable future. TV manufacturers are already working on 8K panels. And with the gubment about to sink net neutrality, the future of streaming bandwidth is in question.

Now is not the time to be shelling out huge bucks on a new 4k TV, IMO. Best to wait a bit and see how things unfold.

What comes to mind are those who get all excited about a new release coming out in box form, and they preorder the box due to impatience in getting the title, even though they'd prefer the standalone blu-ray. This is sending the wrong message to the bean counters. If standalone hi-rez discs aren't profitable enough as they are, then raise the prices. I don't care. I'd rather pay $30 for a single surround blu-ray than $40 for the blu-ray + CDs + vinyl + fancy book, to say nothing of >$100. They can even give it to me in a plain brown wrapper.

What comes to mind are those who get all excited about a new release coming out in box form, and they preorder the box due to impatience in getting the title, even though they'd prefer the standalone blu-ray. This is sending the wrong message to the bean counters. If standalone hi-rez discs aren't profitable enough as they are, then raise the prices. I don't care. I'd rather pay $30 for a single surround blu-ray than $40 for the blu-ray + CDs + vinyl + fancy book, to say nothing of >$100. They can even give it to me in a plain brown wrapper.

A man after my own heart. So I don't get the stand alone BD~A of AP's Eye In The Sky until the spring. So what. Sorry, but it's NO Sgt. Pepper and I already have the fantastic sounding Classic Records DVD~A Stereo version from the original analogue masters.

But MOST unfortunately, MOST of those boxsets with BD~As will never release a stand alone version so as NOT to piss off those who shelled out big bucks for all the bells and whistles which they'll either resell on eBay or stash away in a dark closet with their bell bottoms and nasty old shit kickin' cowboy boots. :yikes

Most members here just want a standalone disc, and some releases have been just what we wanted. The whole shebang deluxe sets besides giving a newbie options, it also helps the labels bottom line on all the raw materials that they've got in inventory. So corporate head says how many tons of pvc do we have ? .... What ok, then let's get some 180gm LP's in as many deluxe sets as possible. And the printing Dept how much staff do we need to satisfy the projected sales numbers ? Mainly speculation, but if I was twenty something today and had the option of just one Blu-Ray disc or a set with all the extras I would choose the latter......Now since I've got all the titles in one format or another as a seasoned collector I just want the one disc. I don't think in 2017 we've had just a Blu-Ray ? Were getting the CD along with it in most.

Back